millarworld.tv Comics Creators

How much would you pay for unlimited comics?

I had a six-month free trial of Marvel Unlimited, and I barely used it. I think I read about twelve comics in six months. When it came time to pay to extend the subscription, I cancelled.

I enjoyed the reading experience more than I thought I would – the interface was tolerable, and the art (particularly colouring) was beautiful on the tablet screen.

I didn’t use it simply because I forgot about it. Whenever I had time to read something, I reached for the physical stack of unread books and comics which is literally an arm’s reach from where I sit when I’m reading. The effort of finding a digital comic instead was (ironically) too great.

So I guess my answer is “nothing”.

Samesies!

I think 10 bucks is the most you could charge for something like this and it would have to have access to a LOT of brand new stuff.

10 bucks is kind of psychological barrier for most people, especially when you get everything on Netflix for that price.

If you buy 3 comics a month then everything after that ten bucks is gravy. Personally, I’m print guy, but I’m also in my 40s and my kids have a screen in front of them 500 times more often than they’re holding print so this is going to be the ONLY way they’re reading comics when they’re older, I suspect. We’re the last generation of people who love shelves and stacking :slight_smile:

MM

Tat was what Scribd unlimited charged, and gave access to a chunk of their comics, fiction/non-fiction books and audiobooks. It was a good deal (from my perspective) until they dropped comics.

If you buy 3 comics a month then everything after that ten bucks is gravy

Taking the exchange rate into account and the price of comics here, that’s barely 2 comics nowadays.

Over the last year most of my reading has been on bus trips.
Or when putting Grace to sleep. It’s handy to read sitting in a dark room while the bubba drifts off.
Or is asleep and I don’t want to wake her.

I still have problems seeing how this model works with all new material. It is currently primarily selling as a secondary market. Outside some Amazon and Netflix originals 95% of what they are selling has been in the cinema, on DVD or on another ad supported TV network first. Same with comics, they are using the subscription model for comics that are a few months old.

The payments made are renowned for being pretty small but the creators/companies don’t really mind as it is all gravy on top of their primary market. Take that away and their incentive for spending on new material is reduced, then the quality and quantity would either drop or the subscription fees would have to go up a lot and not be $10 or lower as they are now.

I assume a hypothetical Netflix for comics would slowly branch out into original material? The original service was running for years before they experimented with their own productions.

[obligatorydavemeadowscomment] If you include every back issue ever published, you’re pretty much killing any chance that anyone would read the new material anyway.

Nah, I’m sure they’d assume that comics get good eventually

I would kill for a DC unlimited plan - I’ve been wanting to get into them for a while, and digital works best for me.

I’m a longtime MU fan and a recent Comixology Unlimited member.

Never had that issue.
Some of the recommendations can be a bit bizarre in the comic like these suggestions.

Netflix may end up being limited by that same $10 barrier. All digital subscriptions would end up that way I think. It’s a problem for future services.

$10 cash to the publisher is about the same as 8 print comics (that net about $1.25 each to the publisher). So for readers buying more than 8 Marvel comics a month it’s a loss for the publisher, and the retailers lose out completely. My assumption is that’s why this hasn’t happened - most Marvel readers buy more than 8 books a month. However, I’m fascinated that digital sales haven’t hurt comic retailers in any measure that we know of. They seem to be serving different markets, it’s an alternate channel that has either opened a brand new market or expanded how many books people read. Netflix hasn’t hurt TV or movies either (though I think it has damaged the cable companies).

Finn reads print books and uses the iPad for videos. If it doesn’t play music or isn’t animated I wonder if static digital comics will truly replace print.

I forgot to mention whether or not I’d buy singles if I had access to them. Very likely I would, though not as many as way back in the day before I started touring Asia. I suspect I’d buy at most 2-3/month per major publisher, and stick to just the stuff I really, really love, partially as a way of trying to support it, while still using the subscription models for everything else. And definitely never buy an event book ever again.

I love the choice of Marvel Unlimited, but hate the app, which is in dire need of an overhaul. But it’s great value and I spend far too much time on it. I’m not sure I’ve bought a Marvel trade since I started my sub 18 months ago (maybe Howard the Duck?); I do wonder how such a service could be sustainable in of itself.

I also subscribe to ComiXology Unlimited, which is getting much better – right now I have all of Alex and Ada to read, all three volumes of The Fade Out, a ton of Valiant and Mignolaverse titles…it’s still nowhere near perfect, but not quite the ‘first volume only’ pisstake it was when it started.

I’d love a DC Unlimited, but I wouldn’t pay any more for it than I do for my MU service.

I wonder if there’s quite a bit of flow in and out. One thing about digital is the accessibility, even if you are in an area covered by a comic shop they can’t often afford the high footfall areas and are off the beaten path, you kind of have to know where to find them. A couple of years back Comixology did a survey that had 16% of their brand new to comics customers having gone on to buy print.

So while they may lose some from print to digital they may also pick some up in the other direction.

This stuck me - if you’re running retail and depend on customers buying from you as a means of supporting you (rather than buying because they want to) you’re in a dying spot. Those dynamics can only go in one direction (the customer stops being charitable) and it’s a flimsy base to own a business.

Yep, absolutely. The music business has largely been this way for years and years, too. Have you heard of record store day? Its just like comic store day, and this year’s is in just two days.

The biggest problem with LCS is that that aren’t looking at things like normal shops. Most retail stores are designed to be welcoming to everyone who walks past and even they are struggling, so when you have a store that thinks it has a very niche set of products it seems to hide anything that could bring in an everyman passer by inside.

Here’s where we are at… Primark… Primark… sells more Marvel/DC clothing merch in the women’s section of their shops than Belfast’s two LCS’ combined. It sells. People are into this stuff. But to take that step to actually going into that daunting comic book shop??? That’s not something that is comfortable.

If I had an LCS right now I’d either do away with the actually store and have a kiosk in the middle of a mall or have both working at the same time. They get at least ten amazing covers a week on books that would catch people walking past’s eye; why keep them inside a store, hidden away?

LCS’ clearly aren’t going to do anything like this so as soon as a decent pageflix or whatever comes along they are toast in a matter of months (at least until the vinyl-style revival 10 years later).

https://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads//2013/05/IMG_5801-e1368098011958-600x800.jpg

Hmmmn, I don’t know how enticing Tintin, Rupert the Bear and that horrid thing from the Moomins is… Looks more like a library. But at least they are trying I guess.