millarworld.tv Comics Creators

How did you start reading comics?

We’ve done this a couple of times over the years but we have some new blood recently so let’s hear your stories.

For me I started reading comics very young, my mother got me a standing order with the newsagent for a comic called Magic when I was about 3 (which would have been around 1976). That folded and merged with a girls comic called Twinkle which didn’t enthuse me much so I switched to boys comic Tiger and Marvel UK reprints of Spider-Man.

I’ve basically never stopped from that point, that led to finding Eagle and 2000ad and then more Marvel UK titles and on to US comics I would find by trawling local newsagents because distribution was so random.

In the past we’ve seen licensed comics have been a great entry point, a lot of UK posters started with Transformers or watching the 90s X-Men cartoons. How about you? For new fans is digital now the gateway? DC seem to think both apply as their digital first comics are primarily based on other media tie-ins from TV to games.

On a caravan holiday to the Lake District when I was around 7 years old. There was a shop on the campsite- bigger than you’d expect, but mostly things that you’d expect. Groceries: bread, bacon, milk, newspapers and tea- I would go every morning with my dad to bring back that day’s supplies.

Unexpectedly however among the groceries was a white wire basket hidden in the corner full of old American comic books- I’d never seen them before, their size was different to UK comics, but I became hooked on the adventures of the Green Lantern over that summer. I had read UK comics like Beano, Dandy, Whizzer & Chips, etc but never Superhero books.

I was into Super Friends and other comic properties as a kid and I read books based on those characters but never really read any comics. My first major experience with comics was when I was in high school. I was at a math team competition held at a nearby university. When we weren’t testing, we hung out at the student center playing arcade games and looking through the university bookstore. The bookstore had a spinner of comics and the cover to Uncanny X-Men #275 caught my eye. So I bought it and took it home.

It was so amazing. I was kind of thrown in the middle of the story. However, I was given enough to go on and the mystery only added to the richness of possibilities. Soon after that I picked up New Mutants #100. The cliffhanger at the end of the issue and the promise of a new series to start fresh on had me hooked.

I had a good grounding in the classics. The first comic I ever remember buying was a paperback containing Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1-6, at a yard sale when I was about 4 or 5 years old.

I still have the book today and it looks like this.

Yeah, I read it a lot. :slight_smile:

As well as that, I had the usual UK kid’s comics diet of the Beano and Dandy, along with other random stuff my barber used to get in (Whizzer & Chips, the Beezer, and a few others). As I got a bit older I gravitated towards Asterix (I vividly remember buying my first Asterix book at a primary school book-sale when I was about 8 or 9) and then Tintin, along with occasional annuals that would reprint odds and ends of US superhero stuff (usually Marvel) and Transformers comics.

And then obviously when I became a teenager there was always a copy of Viz close to hand.

I got back into American comics in my late teens through '90s fare like McFarlane’s Spider-Man and Spawn, and then caught up on a fair bit of American stuff that I’d missed over the previous decade-and-a-bit. And by that point comics were well-established as a regular part of my cultural diet and have been ever since.

I still have my original Green Lantern book too- will try and post a picture later.

The local library had a bunch of TIntins and Asterixes and I fell in love with them
When I was 12 I read COIE and I was hooked on the Big Two.

One was stuck on a dinosaur I was eating.

To be honest, since I was a kid, I would read the funny papers (Peanuts, Boondocks, Curtis, Garfield,etc.) & the comics inside those Disney Adventure magazines(Duck Tales, Aladdin, Pirates of the Caribbean,Lion King, etc.). Then in middle school, my Auntie had this Simpsons graphic novel at her hair salon that I would read as I would wait for my mama to finish getting her hair done. Although, the salon did have sexy women in there and I was just getting into puberty. Hahahaha I didn’t start reading mature comics(Marvel/DC/Image,etc.) until I graduated high school. My first GN was New Avengers vol. 2: Sentry. I bought it at Islands of Adventure in Florida. Even as a boy, comics always had a place in my heart.

My grandparent’s would take me and my two brothers on road trips to different amusement parks all over the United States back in the 70’s. We would always stop by K-Mart and load up on things for the car. One of those things would always be a few bags of comic books. These would mostly consist of Donald Duck, The Beagle Boys, Casper, Wendy the Witch and things of the like. Within this mixed bag of comics would be a few random issues of things like Heroes for Hire, Warlord, Sgt. Rock, Metal Men and other “strange ones” like that. These bags of comics were a mishmash of Marvel, DC and whatever other publisher had control of those characters at the time.

Let’s see, a long, long time ago in a newsagent far, far away…

Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Whizzer & Chips, Topper

A steady diet of casual violence, tomfoolery and general insanity, then some guy came up with this:

Which eventually led to Prime decking Starscream and a few others and then finishing off in style:

That got me hooked onto more sequential stuff and led to stuff like:

Doomlord, The 13th Floor, Johnny Red, Charley’s War

Loads of good stuff.

I start reading comics from the top left panel and work my way right then down. The only time it’s not that is with some Manga which goes right to left.

I start by turning the cover, sounds like you’re skipping a step.

I had the fairly standard 1980s Britain reading list of The Beano, The Dandy, Asterix, Tintin and the Transformers UK magazine but never delved any further into comics until many years later, when the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie came out. That motivated me to try and figure out which Spider-Man comics to start with, with some helpful soul at Forbidden Planet introducing me to the first collection of the brand spanking new, continuity-free hardcover collection of Ultimate Spider-Man. That turned out to be a great business decision on their part, since that became my gateway drug to the rest of Ultimate Marvel, to the rest of Bendis’ work, to the rest of Millar’s work, to Grant Morrison, to DC, to Vertigo, to bookshelf after bookshelf…

Like most people, I got into reading comics (around '72) with the idea that it would give me something to argue about on the Internet.

Mine was the pretty standard GI Joe toys > GI Joe comics path, although it was a while before I gravitated to superheroes.

I recently found a box of my old childhood drawings and man, I was obsessed with Elfquest before I ever got into superheroes. I remember liking it but I forgot how much.

My local library had Tintin and Asterix and that’s how I got into comics, too! I was probably around 5 or 6.

A year or two later, my older cousin gave me some of his old X-Men toys (tied into the 90s TV show) and that’s how I got into superheroes. My dad got me a collection of the early Len Wein/Chris Claremont/Dave Cockrum X-Men stories out of the library and that’s what got me into more modern comics.

Yep, forgot to mention Asterix and Tintin too.

We were at my uncle’s, and my mom was browsing through the drawers, where she found galore comics. They wer smaller in size as Vid did them like that for cost effectiveness. She handed me over ten or so, and I went into the bedroom, and put them all in a half circle. I would read a page or two from each, and then go back to the ones more appealing.

That grew quickly into an obsession, and I would go daily to the newsstand by my house to ask about the Superman comic. Relishing it when it arrived. Then two days later I would be asking about Superman, but as of course the next issue was not there I would get Batman or anything.

The magic about this was, that every newsstand had different comics, so wherever you went, there was a chance to get a new comic, all the time. Of course this didn’t happen, but I recall behaving so well in 89, as to get batman year three.

Moved to Spain in 91, and asked, do they have comics here?

Mom said no, as I was already too much into it.

Went into a newsstand and saw some…

Also liked the early work by Uggabug on his new walls over at Altamira. First trog to try sequentials, that Uggabug.

Like a lot of people here, my gateway to comics was the UK weekly anthologies. I remember reading the Beano, the Dandy, Whizzer and Chips and their ilk, but not getting them regularly. The first comics I got every week were Eagle around the time Tiger was merged into it, Battle, and Transformers UK.

US comics became more availible here in the late 80s/early 90s, and I ended up getting into them via randomly purchased issues of Excalibur and Uncanny X-Men around the time of the Cross-Time Caper and the run up to the X-Tinction agenda.