millarworld.tv Comics Creators

How did the Force Awakens toys sell?

I’m not in toy-shops often as we try not to spoil the kids, but I haven’t seen that many children playing with Force Awakens figures. Seen a lot of kids dressed as Storm-troopers, but none dressed as the main characters, which is a little weird.

Does anyone have any figures? Just curious.

MM

Pretty well.

Star Wars Toys Brought in $700 Million in 2015

[quote]Toys from the Star Wars franchise—including light sabers and
BB-8 droids—sold more than those of movie franchises “Jurassic World,”
“Minions” and “Avengers.”[/quote]

That’s from January too, so probably even more since then.

Plus, although the numbers are for 2015 as a whole, the Force Awakens products only launched in September.

I’d love to see a breakdown for the figures. The big thing I wanna see is Rey dolls doing well. That means girls are into this like I was into Han and Luke in 1977.

MM

I attended Stonehouse gala day at the weekend and in the parade with my daughter we counted 12 stormtroopers, 3 Leia, 2 wookies , 3 jedi and a healthy 5 Rey.
The Leia were all the mothers of the kids but every Rey was a young girl.

They screwed the pooch a little on that as they held back Rey merch from the first waves of product, to try and keep her being the main character something of a surprise (for some reason).

That sounds fishy.

MM

It was a story that went around, from an un-named source;

In January 2015, a number of toy and merchandise vendors descended on Lucasfilm’s Letterman Center in San Francisco. In a series of confidential meetings, the vendors presented their product ideas to tie in with the highly-anticipated new Star Wars film. Representatives presented, pitched, discussed, and agreed upon prototype products. The seeds of the controversies Lucasfilm is facing regarding the marketing and merchandising of The Force Awakens were sown in those meetings, according to the industry insider.

The insider, who was at those meetings, described how initial versions of many of the products presented to Lucasfilm featured Rey prominently. At first, discussions were positive, but as the meetings wore on, one or more individuals raised concerns about the presence of female characters in the Star Wars products. Eventually, the product vendors were specifically directed to exclude the Rey character from all Star Wars-related merchandise, said the insider.

“We know what sells,” the industry insider was told. “No boy wants to be given a product with a female character on it.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/01/25/excluding-rey-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens-toys-is-really-dumb/#22bf5b355c1a

Was this true? Who knows? I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed, and I’ve seen girls in Rey costumes, so they’re certainly out there now.

The lack of Rey toys early on is still a big deal to some degree, the host of a tabletop gaming show I like on YouTube went on a rant about it this week as he wanted to buy a Rey toy for his young daughter after the movie came out and couldn’t find one.

But the whole conventional wisdom that “boys don’t want toys of girls” does seem to have a root in reality. When Bob Budiansky was working on the original Transformers toyline, he was instructed by Hasbro to make them all male (his original pitch had a number of female characers), and while there were female transformers in the US cartoon, they didn’t get toys during the original line’s lifespan. And when the Japanese-native cartoons included a female character, her toy was changed to a male character for the US release and comic appearances.

I hear this mask is selling pretty well now. :wink:

I’ve been trying (admittedly not that hard) to get a Rey 12" figure since November. I’ve only seen one once, and stupidly didn’t buy it. It’s always Finn and Stormtroopers.

It’s definitely been hard to find Rey toys.

Anedoctally my kid (age 8) and all his friends have loads of Star Wars toys but it’s the LEGO stuff they’re into. Which is fun for them but terrible for my wallet.

Yeah, similar thing in GI Joe, that it took them about four years to do a figure of the Baroness, despite her being a main character in both the comic and cartoon. And yet you look at the Rise of Cobra toyline and the biggest peg-warmer (from a generally under-performing line) was the Baroness.

I remember when I was in school, everyone wanted TMNT toys and one kid, on his birthday, got all four turtles, splinter and April O’Neil – instead of that being awesome, we ended up making fun of him for having an April toy.

I like to think times have changed, but I don’t know.

I smell corporate decisions made by old white males.

Wait - let me correct that. Sexist old white males!

I’m an old white male. I know the smell. It’s ugly. It goes back to my own youth, which was Before Barbie. Dolls were around, 95% female glamour dolls, but many little boys had some raggedy-ass sort of human-shaped bag of rags that had some sort of emotional attachment. Very young, I had a Cecil the Sea-Serpent hand puppet and a stuffed wolf. Plastic figurines were new, and I liked dinosaurs.

Along came Barbie and Easy-Bake Ovens and Donna flippin’ Reed and the full force of Fifties morality, capped, of course, by the publication of Seduction of the Innocent. Luckily, this particular tome pissed off my Dad, who promptly became militant and followed up with “my boy can read whatever he wants!”

When it comes to social roles, we haven’t ever really gotten started.

I bought my wife a Rey figure, think it was the black series, and I haven’t seen another one. It’s really a shame.

Those Legos will get me one day! Star Wars Lego started when I was a kid, I had (and have kept) the TIE Fighter, X-Wing and Snowspeeder. The devious bods in charge of my local Tescos have now started positioning small Lego sets next to the discounted booze, it’s taken every damn ounce of restraint within me not to pick up the carbon freezing chamber from Empire or Rey’s speeder bike. I will inevitably crack soon.

I think I agree. My kids and their pals have plenty of Star Wars stuff but aren’t as interested in the figures as much as when I was a kid. My boy has asked and got a light saber, a Darth Vader mask and a lot of Lego stuff but doesn’t seem to have much interest in the figures.

I’ve seen a couple of Reys in the main figure line as well, but interestingly poor female character representation in the Black Series is something that’s come up a fair bit.

I bought a Rey figure from the Disney store in London when they came out last September. I was motivated by the BB8 toy that came in the packet which looked really cool. I had no idea that she would be the main character in the film at that point.

The children of friends seem to buy new Star Wars toys (possibly influenced by Star Wars fan parents) but they also seem to be really into Marvel stuff. I think some parents thought some scenes in the new film (the torture bits) were a bit much for wee kids.

A breakdown of sales figures would be interesting