millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Horror Movies, Books & More

A new forum and a new thread for all things horror!

When we left off before the reboot David was asking for opinions on It Follows.

Chris S. saw it last Friday and, while he liked the score, didn’t think it was scary.

I saw it Monday and thought it was one of the better horror films to come out in a long time. It focuses more on building up a sense of dread and tension rather than being traditionally scary. The director manages to wring a fair amount of suspense out of someone simply approaching from the background.

I don’t think it’s a perfect movie, there are plot holes and inconsistencies but it’s definitely stronger than similar indie horror films, like Oculus or Babdook, that have come out recently. I’ll definitely be interested in seeing what this writer/director does next.

I’ve heard middling things about the premise and the story content, but a lot of great things about the atmosphere and tone. I guess I will have to check it out soon.

I thought the premise was pretty original and interesting. The story is fine, it’s got holes but it works for the most part.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I should definitely check it out at some point.

Oh I should also add that Chris was absolutely right. The score is great.

I watched Honeymoon last night, another new Indie horror movie that’s been getting a lot of positive buzz recently. It’s about a newly married couple going to spend their honeymoon at the wife’s family lakeside cabin only for things to get weird after the husband finds her wandering the wood disoriented at night.

Here’s the trailer

It definitely seems like the current trend in Indie horror is to avoid traditional scares and instead aim for a general atmosphere of dread and tension. This film manages to create that atmosphere with the wife’s increasingly strange behavior and an excellent score. Overall, I enjoyed it but I did wish the the explanation for everything had turned out to be something a bit less obvious and more original. This is particularly unfortunate because as the film goes along there are suggestions of more interesting possibilities so it’s disappointing that my first guess turns out to be the correct one.

I was going to pimp one of my favorite books, Robert McCammon’s They Thirst - and came across an author’s website!
http://www.robertmccammon.com/novels/they_thirst.html

What’s outrageous about this novel of vampires and Armageddon is that, as a life-long Angelino (at the time) this novel felt so right in locations - particularly Franklin Avenue and the Hollywood Hills, that I found it the most accurate novel I’d read so far in describing the Los Angeles I knew. It turns out that Mr. McCammon visited L.A. for all of a week, using his time to soak up the details of the area. All I can say is he did a great job!

Yeah I thought the premise was really good, plus I really enjoyed the film. It just didn’t creep me out as much as I’d hoped, which disappointed me somewhat.

I love McCammon! He writes such fun b-movie style novels. Swan Song and Stinger are also tons of fun and worth checking out if you haven’t already.

Night Boat - the one just before They Thirst is also really good. He’s got the world’s whackiest sort-of-an-autobiography with Boy’s Life (1991) which goes from boys riding bicycles in the mid-Sixties to giant Lovecraftian river monsters that come out to defend the voodoo people.

What I enjoy is that McCammon does his own thing, not particularly taking ideas or memes or plot staples from others, although it’s clear he’s read them. Quite a few movie and Dracula references in They Thirst. Dang, I wish a bunch of us had read it so we could talk about it. It would make such an excellent movie!

I liked They Thirst because it was the first vampire book I read that used the “army of vampires” approach rather than “single creepy vampire” approach. I’m not sure if he was actually the first to use the idea, but it was the first I read, back in 198-whatever.

If I read it now I probably wouldn’t be as impressed, because I’ve seen it done so often now.

I think ‘Salem’s Lot’ predates it by a few years, and ‘I Am Legend’ by a lot more (it was published in the 50’s.

Both of those use hoards of vampires to great effect.

For some reason ‘They Thirst’ hasn’t made it to the screen yet. It could be pretty epic if done right.

I associate “They Thirst” with one around the same time, Fevre Dream. Turns out this is by some fellow named George R.R. Martin. Mississippi riverboat, mysterious owners, a find of newspaper clippings about deaths along the river … yep, paddlewheeler vampires. I remember it as “very good” - over thirty years since reading. This is one I would like to pick up again. Always thought it had some of the best of Anne Rice novels (which are okay, but slow tedious reading to me), the portrayal of the Deep South and New Orleans (our most magical city, methinks) but characters and action that moved right along. I like reading about the era of the great river boats, but even Sam Clemens is a slow, tedious read nowadays. (I sometimes write in dialects, but I find a little goes a long ways.)

And not one of any of these vampires twinkle!!!

I watched WER last night via streaming. It had a very interesting idea on presenting a modern day werewolf story with a little bit of pseudoscience thrown in, but in the end, it squandered all its best idea for cheap jump scares and silly action scenes. If you call it a super-low budget version of X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, that would give you some idea, but even then that would have been better than what we got in the end.

Still, I do have to say that the movie did set up a potentially great story. If it had simply followed through logically on its own premise, I think it would’ve been pretty good. Instead, it went in completely illogical, uninteresting and predictable directions.

Was Wer that movie where they all looked like the werewolf from Teen Wolf?

Probably not. This Wer looked like a very hairy, big guy - no real makeup effects in that regard.

Yeah I was actually thinking of Wolves:

Obviously, totally different. The trailer to Wer looks pretty good though. Too bad it doesn’t go anywhere interesting.

I’m on vacation at the moment and so cramming in a bunch of horror movie while my wife is at work.

Checked out Animal, which turned out to be a pretty fun B monster movie, that managed to actually get in a few surprise jump scares. The monster design felt like it was cribbed from Feast but it was still a fun practical effect to look at.

Also watched Dark Skies, which is almost literally Poltergeist with aliens. It was creepy at points without ever being particularly scary. The twist ending was pretty obvious too. The score I thought was really good and effective, making good use of drones.

Posted this in TV news but figured it belonged here too.

I am so excited for that, I can barely get my head around this this is actually happening.

Once upon a time there was a drive-in that enforced security by means of a chain-link fence. That fence did not even bother the image at that distance, and all those little speakers on wires formed a nice Wall-of-Sound effect.

One double feature I quite remember was I Drink Your Blood accompanied by the other fine film I Eat Your Skin. This was long ago, and I remember one film to be rather sick, and the other to be just too much into their effects.

Has anyone seen these wonders? Opinions?