millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Help Needed!! Longboxes and shipping

Okay so my mother is shipping 13 long boxes to me from New Zealand to the UK.
However the lovely people at UK Customs require me to fill in a document stating exactly how many comics are coming over.

Unfortunately mum has already wrapped up the long boxes for shipping so my question to you the legends of Millarworld is…

How many comics (bagged and boarded) could you fit tightly into a longbox

Now forbidden planet say
Boxes feature double walled bottoms with single-walled box lids. Sturdy enough for stacking. Dimensions are approximately 73 x 21 x 30 cm (L x W x H) including the lid.

One box holds approximately 300 comics

Boxes feature double walled bottoms with single-walled box lids. Sturdy enough for stacking. Dimensions are approximately 46 x 21 x 30 cm (L x W x H) including the lid.

One box holds approximately 150 comics.

So I have 3 73 x 21 x 30 cm and 10 46 x 21 x 30 cm so estimates are roughly 2400 comics which I’m not entirely sure about could of sworn I had more but hey ho.

I am prepared to chuck this guesstimate down knowing full well customs wont count them buuuuut to be on the safe side I though I would ask the board their thoughts

Any help appreciated

I had always heard about 200 comics per longbox. So your estimates sound reasonable. Are you afraid Customs might actually count? Can you put an approximate number?

Also, your poor mother. I hope you remember this for her birthday/Mother’s Day/Christmas/any other excuse to give her something nice. :wink:

Yeah i owe her big time.
Customs basically want everything itemized and she doesn’t have a clue what half my junk is.
Everything must be attributed a value and if it isn’t from the UK may be subject to 20% tax!!!
However the shipping company tell me books don’t count under this so my arse is saved honestly are books from the 90’s actually worth anything?!?
My omnibus’s’s’s however they are gold to me.

Yes, import duty for books into the UK is 0%.

Don’t use round numbers! My dad was a customs officer and round numbers on shipments stood out like a sore thumb and generally ended up with the shipment being searched.

He was however mainly dealing with shipping containers.

Oh thank god!!

Makes a difference if they’re bagged and boarded. That said just make up a number as I’m sure customs won’t give a toss.

That’s a hell of a long way to ship a comic collection.

Possibly the longest way on earth?

Yeah as the guys say. All books and periodicals in the UK are VAT exempt (I know as I used to publish and we were allowed not to register for VAT unlike most businesses).

So the customs guys won’t care about investigating. Put down the best estimate.