millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Hard or Soft....Cover

Hey Guys,

Those of you that know, i will be going to print soon with the complete first arc of my comic Cordelia Swift.

Cover provided by our very own amazing @DIZEVEZ
As well as the four full issues, there is going to be a pin up gallery from around of 20 amazing artists that i know who make small press comics.

The original plan is that this would cost YOU £6.99, which i think is a pretty good price for the a soft cover, no?

However, my new printer has said that they can do Hard cover version, which i think would make it look very cool, but as you can imagine does push the productions costs up…With hard cover it would cost YOU £9.99
I don’t make much on my comics, its pennies really, so it makes no real difference to me, it really comes down to what YOU would want and how much you would be prepared to pay for a trade?

So, the floor is yours, MillarWorld

Soft or Hard?
£6.99 or £9.99?

5 Likes

Is the HC the same dimensions as the soft cover? If so, I’d stick with the soft. Lower price barrier for new/casual customers.

4 Likes

Both Softy and hard cover will be the same dimension, Sir.

1 Like

I think the softcover option is the more sensible option. As Martin said the lower price point would entice the casual customer (I know I’ve taken a punt at softcovers and passed on hardcovers from indie creators in the past). Also, at cons if someone is buying the softcover with a tenner that’ll be three quid change - enough for a single issue from your stall…

5 Likes

I would go with the soft cover option as well. Look at what Image and Valiant do with their first trades. It gives new readers an easy and affordable jumping on point.

I won’t pretend to understand the economics of this, but it appears to be working for those companies.

3 Likes

That why i kept the soft cover at £6.99 and teh same reason i keep my comics at £3.00[quote=“Bruce, post:4, topic:8428”]
I think the softcover option is the more sensible option. As Martin said the lower price point would entice the casual customer
[/quote]

Well, you guys are the biggest supporters of my work, so i’m not really fussed about casual customers.
…I’m only gonna get 100 printed either way and i know i can sell that many, pretty easy.
Its really what YOU guys would like.

1 Like

Soft cover. Hard cover is cumbersome to store and too much of an investment.

1 Like

I would go with the soft cover too. Save the hardcover for an omnibus style collection down the line.

2 Likes

Matt, Matt, Matt.
You realise your leaving yourself open to an infantile joke about your inability to produce something hard.

buuuut soft cover pal remember your shipping weight

5 Likes

who said they would be jokes?

3 Likes

It looks like everyone prefers Matt to be soft. :wink:

I expect that the Innuendo police have surrounded this thread and will launch a raid at any moment now.

1 Like

i like the ambitiousness of that!..no pressure! :smiley:

1 Like

in your endo

3 Likes

thats why i am asking :wink:

if you kids want soft then soft you shall have! :wink:

1 Like
1 Like

i think my time has been and gone my friend. :wink:

1 Like

You won’t know that until you have run out of time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i don’t think that is on my side either…closer to the end than the beginning

1 Like

well i put a voting poll up on twitter and its currently 50/50!
:tired_face:

1 Like