millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Great Cinema Experiences

Here’s a picture of the inside of the Akron Civic Theatre by the way.

Very cool. Although there is a danger that I would be more entertained by my surroundings than the movie. :slight_smile:

I don’t think they do films there just music and musical type stuff. I saw Zoso (a Zeppelin cover band) and a high school age production of Ragtime there. Neat venue.

Which is nice but probably cheating :smile:

There are several thousand working stage theatres that could be included, they tend to be retained a lot better.

Oh, I wasn’t entering it into the running. I was just showing the similarity to the theater Dave posted.

I understand fluctuating ticket prices, because that’s the norm, but not to that extent. I’ve been in that cinema once before and I’d be interested to go again for comparisons sake, but not for thirty pounds per ticket. Its not like cinema options are limited in London anyway.

I think the first theater I went to had a lot to do with why I pursued filmmaking. I saw The Black Stallion (1979 version) and Empire Strikes Back at the Loews Theater in Jersey City. My Uncle brought us, and we sat in the balcony. Even at the age of 7 or 8, the architecture was overwhelming, contributing to the magic of cinema. I remember walking through the halls to get upstairs more than I remember the movies (of course I have seen Empire Strikes Back many times since.)

Due to this thread, I looked up the theater, and saw that it was one of 5 Wonder Theaters built by Loews in 1929, before suburbs and multiplexes took favor. I was very sad back in the mid 80s when this theater closed and fell into disrepair.

But - again - as a result of this thread, when I looked up this old theater I learned that the locals put together a petition and received over 10,000 signatures to keep the building from being demolished, and have taken on the renovations themselves since.

Here is a quote from the article I read about the place. “Throughout the years, notable names who appeared on stage were Bob Hope, Duke Ellington, the Ritz Brothers, Jackie Coogan, and Russ Columbo and His Band. One of Egan’s favorite stories to tell is about Bing Crosby’s 1934 performance. Frank Sinatra had taken the trolley from Hoboken to catch the act, and it was then that he decided he wanted to be a singer.” The article is worthy of a read, as it follows the efforts of the volunteers to save the theater, which was substantial (including them renovating each seat individually.)

It is still not fully renovated. They are unable to screen films, or put on shows, in the summer - as they cannot yet afford AC - which is listed as a 1.5 million cost.

Looking at the pics of this place, it is crazy to think of tearing one of these down to replace them with a box.

Of course, my other childhood movie screening experience was equally powerful, which was seeing Jaws 2 at the drive in at the age of 5, with all the cousins packed into the back of a station wagon, while the adults were in a separate car.

That’s an absolute beauty, I’d be happy to sit and sweat without AC to watch movies there. :smile:

The most memorable cinema experience I’ve had was twenty years ago when Star Trek: First Contact was in theaters (1996 to be exact). The theater was one of the many renovation projects for the many abandoned mills in Maine (and I assume around New England as a whole), and as these projects tend to go, ended just as abruptly as it appeared. And in hindsight, it was an early version of the style movie theater that popped up decades later, where the movie experience was combined with the dining experience (there’s a chain called Cinebistro that goes full upscale), but this one was sort of do-it-yourself, but that only added to the charm. This was well before theaters moved away from traditional seating, too, well before reclining chairs started appearing (although the first time I experienced that sort of thing was actually only a few years later, through the Tinseltown chain I experienced in Erie, PA, and then again later in Colorado Springs; the latter had standard seating, though).

Where I’m living now there’s the Tampa Theater, which I assume is going to be worth experiencing once I get around to it. Also in Colorado Springs was Kimball’s, which celebrated art movies and let you drink wine (which they sold obviously) while watching them, but otherwise the setup was about the average.

But I’ll always wish that mill theater pop-up had stuck around. At any rate, it was a great way to first experience one of my favorite movies for the first (and second) (and possibly third?) time.