millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Graphic Novels or Comics good for Tweens

Hey everyone,

My cousin has an 11 year old daughter who wants to get into comic art. Since I have recently started writing and drawing my own comics I asked her if she would be interested in collaborating on something and she was really excited about that prospect (not to me, she’s really shy and barely responded, but I guess she was telling everyone about it later). The only issue is most of my good examples for great art and story are on the mature side.

I’m sure many of you have kids and several of you have them or have had them around this age. If they were into comics what did they enjoy? What did you both enjoy?

You may try the thread below, Crague. @NathanGardner is a high school English teacher and has tried to integrate comics into his curriculum.

Some of the stuff may be a little old for cousin’s daughter. I would also find out what she likes. There are a lot of comics based on other properties like My Little Pony or Adventure Time not to mention the usual Marvel and DC stuff that kids are already interested in.

Great topic by the way. :slight_smile:

Amelia Rules!

It’s a series that you can only really find in pretty available trade collections about tweens in surburia. It’s pretty good and lighthearted but doesn’t stray away from more sensitive topics, but never gets too down with them but has a light touch.

Try Thor the Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee.

My nephew liked Patrick the Wolf Boy as well, or the Asterix or Tintin albums.

Lumberjanes

Scott Pilgrim

Ms Marvel

Runaways

Bone

Good choices. Bone especially.

Chris Giarrusso’s Mini Marvels and G-Man.

Try Raina Telgemeier’s stuff, Smile, Drama, and Sisters.

The Amelia Cole stuff from Monkeybrain was pretty good.