millarworld.tv Comics Creators

GIF teaser for comic

Sup y’all,

As most of you probably already did a long time ago, I recently joined Twitter to pimp my projects. One thing that occurred to me was to create a GIF teaser for each project. Basically like a movie trailer. Entice people with exciting little bits to pique their interest. Anyway, so I included it here to get your guys’ feedback. What do you think of doing something like this? Have any of you done this before? Has it helped? And what do you think of the one I made? Do you think it’s any good? Is it effective?

I’d appreciate any comments. It’s basically just a rough test.

Oh, and by the way, the comic is available on Comixology for the low, low price of just $0.99! -----> https://tinyurl.com/n5k86ej

I think it’s very effective but you should make it shorter. You could stop after showing the random act of violence.

I’ll be buying your book so it worked on me.

1 Like

Agreed.

It belabors the point - short and sharp grabs attention

Thanks for taking a look and offering your comments, guys. So, you think that it could stop after showing the attack on the mother and daughter? Just trying to get a sense of how I could trim the fat on something like this but have it still be enough to entice people.

Yeah. I’d have the title, the three panel step-down and then the splash - then a teaser quote and release date, maybe followed by a final panel of the demonic eyes.

Hmm. I see what you’re saying. I’m going to give that idea a shot and see how that looks. Thanks!

1 Like

Here’s version 2.

I still think it’s too long - I get the urge to jam all your hard work in their but you need to think of it from the point of view of someone who is just browsing the internet.

Short, punchy and eye-catchy. - You don’t really need more than 5 or 6 frames here.

I would start with:

• “… a random act of violence”

• " 3 - panel step down to…"

• "big splash of stab"
    OR

• some other panel step-down to

• “splash of woman being attacked”

• "with supernatural consequences.

*Spash of Title “Six-eight”

*cut of frame of JUST eyes (no “let me help you”)

• Have the same cut of the eyes but with the expected release date and price on comixology.

END.

Thanks for taking the time to critique this for me. Yeah, as the person who made something, it’s usually hard to figure out how much is too much and how much you really need to entice people. At least, for me, anyway.

And, just so you know, I can’t remove any of the text on the artwork. I don’t have versions of the pages without the dialogue. The artist also did the lettering and gave it to me that way.

1 Like

It is a very hard thing to work out - and that’s why having fresh eyes on something is so important.

I was thinking you could just crop just a slit of the eyes - something you could achieve in most basic image programs.

You get five images, then bye-bye attention spans. So a title, three images, then title card with "“On Sale at Comixology”. That’s for a GIF. You could make a 30-second YouTube clip to go with, if you want to reveal more story. I think the “random act” card, one set-up panel, the backstab, then the “Let me help you” and title card.

KISS, baby!

1 Like

You also need to remember that due to the way gifs play, you can’t be certain what anyone will start with. They could scroll down the page and come into it at any random frame. For example, I just got

“With supernatural consequences” image image image “a random act of violence”. …eh? :confused:

So your “message” needs to work in any order. Building a narrative doesn’t actually work in a gif.

Other than that problem, I think the images themselves look great.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I’m doing another one for my other comic so we’ll see how that comes out.

Nice idea. This example is a video rather than a gif, but it’s stylishly put together and does the same thing you’re thinking of, albeit a little longer than is probably necessary. https://twitter.com/LWLies/status/866692907377491969

And viewers shouldn’t have issues with gifs on Twitter starting at a different point to your beginning. Twitter are meant to have it set so that gifs should refresh whenever a user scrolls onto a Tweet containing one.

Best of luck with it

1 Like