millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Game of Thrones - the TV show (Spoilers for the TV show)

I’m fairly certain the “find you and in the darkness bind you” or whatever it says refers to how the ring ends up being found by a wearer and corrupts him/her… rather than being some sort of magical gps :smile:

sigh It can be TWO THINGS!

Here, knock yerself silly.

That goes only if you’re one of the Maia though, or a being of similar power (Galadriel as a Noldor elder could put it to use, as she says, and gain dominion over the world, even if it would corrupt her entirely).

If you’re just a random hobbit, invisibility is all you get.

Have you tried take it off and putting it back on again?

Sounds like a good idea, I can’t see what could go wrong with that!

The whole ring thing was super bogus though… it was obviously never explained how it worked exactly, but yes it was hinted that the more “porwerful” the person, the more they would be able to use it (and be corrupted by it)… but ironically, out all those who could’ve used it to great effect in the books, they either all rejected it (Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Aragron and Even Faramir & Boromir in the end) or never even got close to it (Saruman or Bormir’s dad). And those who had it for a long time (Gollum and Bilbo) only ever wanted to keep it hidden and to themselves… =/

Also, Sauron was never invisible with the ring on… So yeah… some inconsistencies there… :smile:

My personal theory is that it gave the wearer both invisibility (for some reason*) and dominion over the “evil” creatures of middle earth, which by extension meant the ability to conquer the world (by commanding those forces), the stronger willed people would exert more control over those creatures too, logically.

*Okay yes, the reason is that Tolkien retconned Gollum’s magic invisibility ring into THE ONE SUPER ULTRA DUPER RING!!!

There are many magic rings in this world and none of them should be used lightly!

Le-Seigneur-des-Anneaux-Ian-McKellen-bien-chaud-pour-rejouer-Gandalf-dans-la-s%C3%A9rie-

After watching the LOTR films, I had a theory that the ring doesn’t make the wearer invisible as such, but pushes them up into the “astral plane” or whatever you would call it Middle Earth.

It would mean Frodo disappears to any lower beings he is around, like Hobbits, Men, and Dwarves, but would remain visible to higher beings that existed on both planes like Elves (or only certain Elves?), Nazgul, Sauron, and Wizards. It is sort of implied in the movies when Bilbo puts the ring on at his party and Gandalf follows him back to his Hobbit hole, and later when Frodo confronts the Nazgul at Weathertop. Also, when Frodo is slipping into darkness after being stabbed by the Morgul blade, when he sees Arwen she looks like a radiant being, even though the others see more drably dressed.

Mmmm… but probably not, because they don’t “disappear”, they’re physically still there IIRC. And yes, the Nazgul, Galadriel & Gandalf can see the wearer, but I think that’s because they all wear minor rings (Gandalf’s secretly wearing one of the three elves’ rings). But yeah I guess when putting the Ring on they do have access to see another plane for sure… probably how they would communicate with Sauron or with each other even.

I do think the invisibility thing is just a left-over plot device from The Hobbit. As for the Arwen thing… eh, that’s a movie add-on, so that doesn’t really mean anything =P

It’s also a repisitory of Sauron’s power - he’s put most of his own power into the Ring, to use as a tool.

Sauron forged the Ring to defeat Morgoth, his old boss. Morgoth was a very bad guy. Jason seems correct when he says “astral plane”, basically the realm of the Maia. Most of this is in The Silmarillion which, I freely admit, is a tough read. Basically, the One Ring sucks up souls and uses them as a power source. All those under its influence are slowly drained of soul, making them “thin and stretched”. The Ring feeds power to the bearer to maintain physical life, as this provides it with more soul power. One might say those with a natural bright, sunny personality might withstand its drain for a longer time (hence, Hobbits) but would ultimately succumb. It’s like fentanyl in a way. It seems cool at first then promptly begins destruction.

And, yeah, it does seem to have a built-in GPS.

It’s amazing what they can do with cock rings!

Spinning out of this broader piece:

At this point I really don’t think Martin will ever finish his Song of Ice and Fire. He’s 70 and there’s no release set for Winds of Winter nearly 8 years after the last book. Seems pretty unlikely that he manage to finish that AND a 7th book unless he has a huge breakthrough or stops worrying about doing something great and just let it be what it will be.

Pff… he could always hire someone to co-write it… as in let the other person write the bulk of it and just lay out the important bits…

I think Martin has really let the story get away from him. It just gets bigger and bigger in the telling.

Agreed that he needs to bring in a co-writer. At the pace he writes, the responsibility he feels, and the way the story is expanding, I just don’t see how he can mathematically pull this off.

The interviews make it sound like he got distracted by the World of Ice and Fire and Fire & Blood projects and got side-tracked.

It’s unfortunate when you think about, that if he had kept up his pace from the earliest books in the series, we could have twelve now, the main series completed, and books covering the Dance of Dragons and the Conquest.

I think when you become really rich and successful it’s hard to do the lonely work of creating something great. He’s far too comfortable now, no way he can make the sacrifice necessary to write the remaining books.

Wait, didn’t he forge the ring after Melkor had already been banished from Middle Earth by the Valar?

Wait, didn’t Sauron find the ring in a box of Cracker Jack?