millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Game of Thrones - the TV show (Spoilers for the TV show)

Cast chemistry is also important. With GoT two hooked up, it did not end well, and actually affected the writing in season seven. Most casts are pros, show up on time, do their work, go home. Some gel well, and socialize and such with each other.Sometimes it’s subtle, sometimes not so subtle at all. A project can get done with lots of chaos and bad feelings (The Shadow) but it “reads” to the audience, no matter the skill of the actors.

I’m a big fan of bringing along new talent, or letting folks try new things. But I think it’s important for producers and showrunners to be sensitive to, and able to skillfully intervene in, interpersonal issues that might arise.

I have no clue to how Mark might be as a boss in this manner, but I bet he’s pretty good. Most important are empathy and smarts, and he’s got both. Some experience in running a company, too, I hear. I haven’t seen him get righteously angry in a while. I miss that!

I think that, when you’re dealing with genre material, it tends to take perfectly good character actors and bit players and turns them into superstars in their own little pond.

It will take someone like Leonard Nimoy, who did a wonderful job with Spock, and turn him into a superstar that everybody knows, but the leading man roles never come. Whether it’s typecasting, or if Nimoy was just someone who was never going to be a leading man, anyway, but who might have gone on to become a famous character actor like Ed Lauter or Brad Dourif, I can’t say.

But I suspect that most of the cast of Game of Thrones, outside of maybe Dinklage, will probably not go on to become permanent A-listers.

Sometimes it happens with genre folks like Harrison Ford or (to a lesser degree) Patrick Stewart, who have both the chops and leading man charisma.

And then you have the Hobbits and Harry Potter kids who kind of immediately fell into obscurity.

Well the LoTR movies came out a loooong time ago, and at least Legolas got a nice boost and a lot of leading roles… then he kinda disappeared, but it happens.

But at any rate, Emilia Clarke is doing fine, Kit Harrington is cute, but no the greatest actor (neither is EC either, though), so he might not make it… but the rest of the cast, none of them are “leads” to be honest. Even Dinklage, and he’s clearly one of the best in the whole bunch.

Maybe ten years from now there will be a clickbait article on the GoT cast saying “Where are they now?”

Thing is… The last real hit HBO had was the Sopranos as far as big cultural impact and ten years later, none from that cast really moved on to other great roles. So it is hard to say…

It’s hard to define what a superstar is. I think our greatest actors like Anthony Hopkins or Daniel Day Lewis or Morgan Freeman or Tom Hanks all had a moment where one character threatened to be their main character for the rest of their lives but they appeared in another big hit quite quickly as a vastly different person and that allowed them to then become superstars.

Most actors I think should be happy to be one hit wonders - that kind of mega fame is still valuable and they can make a career out of it. Arnie is a one hit wonder. Some guys get two hits and stay boxed in - Harrison Ford or Keanu.

Honestly I’m not sure many people would want to be a movie superstar.

I kind of agree I doubt they care that much once they reach a certain level. Hopkins for example now just says he only makes anything where he thinks it’ll be fun. He has more money than he can spend and has his Oscars and Olivier awards. His ambitions are just quality of life.

I remember Marc Bernardin commenting after Man of Steel 2 got shelved that potentially Cavill would have the best job ever, pocketing a few million for cameo appearances as Superman while he can do projects he fancies the rest of the time.

Tom Hanks started out in a television sitcom (Bosom Buddies) in which he dressed like a woman. He managed to avoid getting typecast, and I hear he has had a decent career since then.

Patrick Stewart gained fame playing Captain Picard which became a defining role for him. Because of that role, people saw him as the perfect Prof. Xavier. And sure enough, he was cast in the role for the movies.

For the past 30 years, Stewart has being playing two iconic roles. That’s a rare feat.

And he got Capt. Picard because of Dune, I think (I’m not going to look it up / correct me if I’m wrong).
Got Dune because of Excalibur.
He was a good bit player, but did he make the most of opportunity, or was he destined for this type of career?
(2 iconic characters being a very good point).

Um, thought I had more but I guess I’m just thinking out loud. I’ll leave it at that.

I’m pretty sure he got the Prof X role because he’s bald. There’s not many bald white actors around his age. Sometimes casting is just about the look. He was lucky X Men came along when it did. The rest of the Trek cast weren’t so lucky and never escaped their roles. Honestly I can’t think of many Trek actors who escaped the series.

Man, it’s a good thing James McAvoy went bald just in time to make X-men Apocalypse!

Stewart’s primarily a theater actor though. If x-men hadn’t come along his career wouldn’t have changed significantly, he would have just continued to make the Star Trek movies and performing in plays.

And while right about Dune (playing Gurney Halleck) he did a few random jobs before:

Beginning his career with a long run with the Royal Shakespeare Company, Stewart received the 1979 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in Antony and Cleopatra on the West End. Stewart’s first major screen roles were in BBC-broadcast television productions during the mid-late 1970s, including Hedda , and the I, Claudius miniseries.

In the 1980s, Stewart began working in American television and film, with roles such as Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation and its successor films, as Professor Charles Xavier in the X-Men series of superhero films, the lead of the Starz TV series Blunt Talk , and voice roles such as CIA Deputy Director Avery Bullock in American Dad! and the narrator in Ted . Having remained with the Royal Shakespeare Company, in 2008 Stewart played King Claudius in Hamlet on the West End and won a second Olivier Award.

I don’t know if “escaping” is the point. There’s not room for a lot of people in the movies, compared to TV. They did all get other work, just not on the level of being a movie star. But looking at her IMDB, Marina Sirtis’ slate is full.

Avery Brooks is an interesting case. He had a charisma that I think could have taken him further, and he did play supporting roles in a few movies back then - American History X, The Big Hit, 15 Minutes.
And then, quite suddenly… nothing at all anymore. I guess maybe he focused on stagecraft and on teaching (he’s a tenured professor).

It’s not about shaving anyone’s head… it’s just that PS had been bald for a looooong time so everyone pictured him that way already… when you think of Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise you don’t picture them bald, do you?

Shatner and Stewart probably came the closest to breaking out. Shatner had T.J. Hooker and a few movies; Stewart has also had Professor X and some smaller profile projects like Blunt Talk and Green Room.

Ashley Judd did quite well for herselfand avoided having a scarlet TREK typecasted to her forehead.

Speaking of roles for Patrick Stewart, I’d love to see a flashback to the founding of Hogwarts in a “Fantastic Beasts” movie with Tom Baker as Godric Gryffindor, Patrick Stewart as Salazar Slytherin, Sigourney Weaver as Helga Hufflepuff, and Natalie Portman or Daisy Ridley as Rowena Ravenclaw (since Carrie Fisher is no longer available. :frowning: )

Actors want to act, to do what they want and to get paid for it and it’s a very competitive field as the recent Geoffrey Owens story demonstrates.

Boris Karloff was typecast twice, he was a bit part heavy in a lot of movies, some of them quite high profile (like the original ‘Scarface’) before ‘Frankenstein’ re-typecast him in horror films, after that he worked for the rest of his life.

He always said that typecasting kept him employed.

Most of the actors who didn’t “escape” Trek (or an equivalent role) have had more work than actors who were never “trapped” in the first place. It might not have been as great a variety as they would’ve liked, but it was acting.

At an Emmys after-party …

He’ll need to grow it back for Lord Azreal.