millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Free Short Comic: OUR SENTENCE IS UP

Hey y’all!

In about an hour I’ll be releasing a new short comic, OUR SENTENCE IS UP, on twitter and here!

Fans of 2000AD and old 50s radio scifi will, I think, be pleased! (I’m looking at you, @davidm )

It is drawn and made beautiful by Brian Cote, and lettered and made coherent by Hassan Otsmane Elhaou.

https://app.box.com/s/180udq7khrjzehcx4de29qsi1t5mfsab

And here we go! Please read and, if you like (or if you don’t!) respond!

So let me just say I woke up to this little surprise of yours and loved it. I don’t know know if you intended this, but I felt a little lovecraft influences there as well as some Moore. And yes, I did feel the 2000ad vibe from this story and it’s great.

The meat of this story about the written “word” effectively dominating us over time as some sort of virus/contagion got to me due to its originality so kudos to you on that. Knowledge is a scary thing (although you are more than welcome to correct me on the story seeing how I just woke up and may need to reread it). Otherwise, perfect title for a clearly amazing story, Deniz. I look forward to more and of course, let me know when your other work is available for purchase.

Ahh, thank you very much!

The title, I have to admit, was lifted from (nonowait, an HOMAGE to) THE INVISIBLES. The context, I think, gives it a slightly different meaning, but it seemed appropriate on a few levels, as the Invisibles / Morrison is always a big influence.

Regarding other work: my comic, MAXWELL’S DEMONS, is currently coming out from Vault Comics. You can pick that up at your LCS, or on comixology: https://www.comixology.com/Maxwells-Demons/comics-series/101485?ref=cHVibGlzaGVyL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9saXN0L3Nlcmllc0xpc3Q

Second issue on Jan 31st!

I have a few other short comics on my website, www.denizcamp.com and I’m always posting shorts, process stuff, and wisdom that you’ll take to your grave on my twitter, @mdesaad.

Hope you dig em and thanks for checking it out!

As I’m attempting to nail a Future Shock sub for 2000ad before their deadline in March, I was interested to know if you’ve ever officially had a stab at one Deniz? You’ve done pretty well with the other things you’ve submitted to :smile: , so if not, any particular reason?

Hah, no particular reason, nah. Seems like every time I think of it their submissions were closed. @markabnett recc’d I do so and I may just!

Can’t lie, though – don’t love the snail mail submissions policy. :slight_smile:

Yeah, agreed on the snail mail - although I’m in the UK, so somewhat easier for me. Makes it as easy as possible for them to sort through the pile I guess - expect they have a large readership compared to most monthlies and I imagine they get a lot of poor subs. Ah well, I’ll report back if I get anywhere!

Nice idea, and executed perfectly. I loved the use of words embedded in the art.

I went through several (wrong) theories as I read it, only to kick myself at the reveal because the clues had been right there on the page all along :smiley:

Hah, thanks! One of those things where, if it had been any longer than 5-8 pages I think it would have been obvious and tiresome, but we hoped to surprise ya!