millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Found extreme case of self deception.

Hey guys long time Mark MIllar reader first time poster.

I was wondering has anyone ever met someone suffering from extreme self deception?

Who has convinced themselves their own fabrication is truth.

I used to work at a comic book store, so yes. There was a guy who came in periodically to brag to us and our customers about his artwork and all his gigs. But he never showed us any of it and none of us had heard of him. He would also aggressively talk over you after he’d start a conversation. And dig his hands in his pants mid-conversation to scratch himself.

Lovely guy!

I read the title as self decapitation.

Anyone found a case of that?

His name is Trump.

I am continually convinced that I am young and have a full lustrous head of hair. Does that count?

Pretty much everybody.

Yes, but extreme cases rather than the everyday. Oddly, despite being in Los Angeles and surrounded by professional and well-paid deceivers, I’ve never encountered an extreme case. There are plenty of people who think they are much better than they actually are, but as studies have shown, that sort of “lying to yourself” is a core component of successful people: http://www.radiolab.org/story/91618-lying-to-ourselves/

So don’t knock it!

I recall an interview with Orson Welles where he talked about his early days as a stage magician. He said that sometimes magicians would start to believe that they actually had magical powers, and they called this condition “shuteye” or “going shuteye.” It was also used to describe a con man who starts to believe in his con game like an actor who suddenly thinks that he IS the character he’s playing.

Welcome! Sure, these people are all over the place. It might be the most widespread “disorder”.

Why do you ask?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The reason why I ask is because I came across a guy on FB who’s managed to convince himself that their is some kind of conspiracy against him.

He just won’t listen to reason and ignores my points made in telling him that no one has stolen his ‘ideas’

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean there is no one out to get you.

https://www.facebook.com/TIMW-entertainment-623191894421400/timeline/ This guy he just won’t see reason I kind of feel sorry for him.

I think the guy might just have a couple of screws loose.

Millar made Dredd? The Falcon in the Captain America movie? Mark’s busy, but not that busy…

I smell stalker. I don’t like this.

@JimOHara - make sure Mark is aware of this, right?

We’ve had a lot of loonies post in the board over the decade+ it’s been in existence. Often theyre harmless, and sometiems theyre adorable.

On a rare occasion they display traits like this. Miqque would likely offer a better diagnosis, but I believe this is probably a person with some kind of comorbid personality disorder - a high level of narcissism and paranoia.

He’s mentally unwell. There are people like this in the world and they appropriate whatever stimuli they are drawn to and use it as an anchor for their delusions. This is what has happened here.

He posts regularly on Mark Millars FB page he’s gone as far to say that Mr Millar has hacked his phone.

Also he doesn’t seem to understand that Mark Millar has had nothing to do with production of any of these feature films.

Despite the fact I pointed this out to him numerous times.

The most absurd ‘point’ he makes is that because his own character wears similar trousers to the MCU version of The Falcon that Mark Millar or Marvel must of stolen his ‘idea’

Another fantastic ‘point’ he made in my discussion with him is the fact his character at one point rides a motorcycle.

Marvel characters and Judge Dredd ride them also therefore they must of stolen his idea.

Few of the posts he has made.

I think it may be best not to encourage him with additional attention.

That sort of self deception is just sad. I want some uplifting examples of self-deception, dammit!

Emperor Norton

Joshua Abraham Norton (c.1818[2] – January 8, 1880), known as Emperor Norton, was a citizen of San Francisco, California who in 1859 proclaimed himself “Norton I, Emperor of the United States”[3] and subsequently “Protector of Mexico”.[4]

Born in England, Norton spent most of his early life in South Africa. He immigrated to San Francisco in 1849 after receiving a bequest of $40,000 (inflation adjusted to $1.2 to $1.5 million in 2014 US Dollars) from his father’s estate, arriving aboard the steam yacht Hurlothrumbo.[5] Norton initially made a living as a businessman, but he lost his fortune investing in Peruvian rice.[6]

After losing a lawsuit in which he tried to void his rice contract, Norton became a less and less public figure. He reemerged in September 1859, laying claim to the position of Emperor of the United States.[7] Although he had no political power, and his influence extended only so far as he was humored by those around him, he was treated deferentially in San Francisco, and currency issued in his name was honored in the establishments he frequented.

Though some considered him insane or eccentric,[8] citizens of San Francisco celebrated his regal presence and his proclamations, such as his order that the United States Congress be dissolved by force and his numerous decrees calling for a bridge crossing and a tunnel to be built under San Francisco Bay. Similar structures were built long after his death in the form of the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge and the Transbay Tube,[9] and there have been campaigns to rename the bridge “The Emperor Norton Bridge”. On January 8, 1880, Norton collapsed at a street corner and died before he could be given medical treatment. At his funeral two days later, nearly 30,000 people packed the streets of San Francisco to pay homage.[10] Norton has been immortalized as the basis of characters in the literature of writers Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, Christopher Moore, Maurice De Bevere, Selma Lagerlöf, and Neil Gaiman.