millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Finishing Huck #6 this week/ Starting new project

I remember finishing Chrononauts last year about six months before the first issue came out. I’m starting the second arc at the end of Summer and all these various bits and bobs now about a year ahead, which is weird. I feel like I’ve bumped forward in time, reverse-jet-lagged and sending stories back into the past. I’ve always generally stayed very close to wherever the artist is, usually about an issue ahead, so it really is weird to be writing THE END on Huck, for example, 5 weeks before the series gets officially announced.

That said, I love what it means for the stories. I love being able to fine-tune stuff and go back to issue three when I need a set up for issue five. I started doing this a couple of years back and it really makes writing a lot easier, especially the chance to write something exclusively for a couple of months when comic guys generally jump around a lot, spinning plates, writing part 3 of this story while wrapping up THAT story. It saves you the huge amount of time you need to re-engage with something you maybe last wrote three weeks before and this is the way I plan to work forever. I totally recommend it to newbies and established pros alike.

As for the project I plan to start at the end of the week, I still haven’t decided what that is yet. I’ve blocked out time and last week drew out 12 potential first issue covers over 2 A4 pages to see which one really jumped out. They all excite me and are a combination of new concepts and returning series. I have until Thursday to make up my mind and a batch of artists on stand-by to start on the other side of summer when I complete whatever series this turns out to be. I bloody love doing creator-owned. Readers and fellow pros, there is no greater feeling than being master of your own destiny.

I think you’re all going to dig Huck quite a bit. Wait until you see this art.

Now, time to go to work!

Lotsa love,
MM

I found this interesting, I guess because I usually think of covers in particular as being the domain of the artist (although I know writers obviously have a lot of input into how a book looks too).

Do cover ideas usually come from you, or the artist, or a combination of the two? Given that it’s the first thing that many people will see of the book, I guess it’s really important to get that first image just right. Do you give artists a detailed idea of exactly what you want on the cover, or a rough concept to play with? Or does it depend on the artist?

It would be cool to see some of these kinds of cover sketches as extras in a collection at some point, if you were open to that. These creative-process things can be quite interesting to an outsider.

Oh, these covers won’t even get near the artist. It’s just a wee thing in my head and I generally just have my own as I play with ideas and visuals. Old Man Logan as I’ve said many times came from a cover I drew with an old Wolverine, but I merely suggested ideas for covers to Steve and never let him see the original. I knew I wanted Red Skull in Cap’s costume, Hawkeye and Wolvie standing over the site where the heroes fell, etc, but generally I’m more vague and suggest something like a SKYFOX cover for Jupiter’s Circle, though issues 2 and 3 were quite specific as I like the covers to relate strongly to an individual issue.

But it’s very fluid. Everything can change. Even these 12 series can become six series, things spliced together as I get to work and start constructing the stories.

MM

Interesting stuff. I like the way a cover can encapsulate an idea in a single image (in a way that works differently to sequentials), and I agree that it’s always cool when the cover tells you something about the issue inside - although I guess there’s some appeal in a more general ‘pin-up’ style cover sometimes too.

Don’t worry, we can help you work it out. :wink:

Ah, Summer in Scotland!

Something about the Abominable Snowman, perhaps?