millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Favourite Movie Posters!

It can feel a bit like a lost art in these days of clunky photoshop compositions, but I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can celebrate the art of the movie poster.

Contributions from any era welcome.

I’ll kick things off with this - maybe a bit obvious, but a classic for a reason.

So much mood and atmosphere there.

8 Likes

A perfect example of perfection

2 Likes

Clicky to impressively embiggen.

4 Likes

The Star Wars Circus D poster has always been a favorite of mine.

4 Likes

I bought a new house a month ago and it includes a 1000 sq ft fully finished basement with a 10ft wide movie screen, so I’ve been planning movie posters for the walls. Ultimately I’m going for my favorite movies rather than the best posters. I’m suck on some options:

or

4 Likes

You definitely need a Revenge of the Jedi one-sheet.

Maybe not an original.

1 Like

That’s a tough one. I love both of those posters as both are seared into my brain from childhood.

I like quirky posters. This Ant-Man one is my favourite poster for a while.

8 Likes

I loved the russian variant.

Most definitely this:

6 Likes

I’m still looking for this one :smiley:

the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-movie-poster-1966-1010413621

2 Likes

I’ve always loved this one:

But wonder what would have happened if they stuck with this one (which they considered but then rejected):

Ah, the 70s…

6 Likes

64bbc652ed241f0435878665e0f65f11

TheFly_quad_advance-1-500x370

7 Likes

Good choice. I love Streets of Fire.

My favourite is largely based on it being the cover for the novelisation which I read a few times before the movie came out.

3 Likes

That last one looks like your work, @MichaelRea; very nice!! Something Wicked This Way Comes is a classic.

3 Likes

Thanks! I wish though, David Grove is indeed a huge inspiration. I’ve ripped off Bob Peak a fair amount, too (the Bond one).

The Fly had me staring and staring at it when I was a kid (9 years old I think), that’s a great example of setting up intrigue with your poster.

The others are the Polish versions of movie posters - some are just plain bonkers, but their Star Wars ones are possibly the best in the world.

4 Likes

I’ve always loved the Japanese Django poster

And of course, my favorite movie of all time

2 Likes

6 Likes

I’m just going for the complete and utter bias vote based on my favourite movie of all time.

IMG_4867

1 Like

To be fair the red background and that tagline is pure aesthetics.

Didn’t we have a favorite taglines thread once?