millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Fan Chat Season 2. Episode 9 - John Romita Jr. (May 25th, 2:00PM New York Time)

Our guest this week for the Millarworld chat serious is comic artist and writer, John Romita Jr. John is an American comic book artist best known for his extensive work for Marvel Comics from the 1970s to the 2010s along with co-creating such Millarworld staples as Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl. More recently, he has been working for DC Comics as writer/penciller on Superman and as penciller on the upcoming All-Star Batman.

Please feel free to leave any questions you might have for John in this thread ahead of time but only questions please. All other posts will be deleted. Thank you.

Join us on May 25th at 2:00 PM New York time.

You can also check out previous chats here.

Who is your favorite batman artist? Why?Can I get you to come to Indiana comic con?

Hi Mr Romita, big fan of your artwork, can’t wait for DKR: The last Crusade and All star Batman.

My question is about the scripts you get through from writers. I know it’s different from writer to writer and a lot to explain, so what type of script do you prefer? Is it specific i.e. to each page or panel even, and is the dialogue of the characters included?
Thanks for your time.

Hello John,

If can be permitted a moment to gush, I’ve been a huge fan of yours for as long as I’ve been reading comics. One of the few pieces of comic art that I have hanging in my home is Daredevil print of yours.

I always feel that one of your great strengths is storytelling. As a storyteller, is there anything that you would advise any tricks and tips that you could give to writers/artists or are there any pitfalls that you would advise them to avoid?

Also, is there anything that you’ve never had the chance to do, but have always wanted to do? Artistically or otherwise? :smile:

Hi John, thanks for coming back to do this again.

I wanted to ask a question about your collaboration with Frank Miller on the recent DKR III mini-comic story featuring Green Lantern. It was such a great mix of both your styles. Did you consciously alter your layouts to fit with Frank’s art style (and he tailor his finishes to yours)? Or was it more of a straight ‘jam’ approach with you putting your individual styles together? It looked unique.

Also, did you change any aspects of your approach due to the smaller page dimensions?

@JohnRomita - You’ve worked at Marvel and DC as well having your own successful creator owned books. You’ve had definitive runs and work with the X-Men, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Superman and soon to be Batman (which I’m very much looking forward to) along with working on just about every other character in those universes and creating your own characters. It’s hard to see an area of comics where you haven’t left your mark. Where do you go from here? Is there a character you would like to work with but haven’t? Would you like to do more creator owned work? Would you like to do more writing? Would you like to do something outside of comics?

Another project I’m really looking forward to is All-Star Batman with Scott Snyder. What attracted you to the project? Can you give us any teases of what to expect?

Hello Sir, thank you for doing this chat again, it’s the only way I can tell you how awesome are your work! (I’m still hoping you will open a twitter or instagram account :smiley: ), here are my questions:

1.- Working in Batman in both awesome titles as All Star and The Last Crusade was something you always wanted?
2.- After all those years when you worked in Daredevil The Man Without Fear, now what is like to work again with Frank Miller in The Last Crusade? any new story about it?
3.- Scott Snyder mentioned that you and Sean Murphy are the closest artists working with him in All Star Batman, what does that means? designs?
4.- Can you say something about your new secret project with @Mark_Millar? a pic? a title?
5.- What music are you currently listening? any recommendations?

And again Thank you for taking this time

I know this is way too early, but I won’t be able to answer all questions, so I’ll try hedging my bets.

It’s a toss up with Frank Miller’s, Neil Adam’s, and a serious Greg Capullo.

Any of the above makes me pay attention.

Thanks for the good words.
I’m a fan of plots, and hybrid plot/scripts.
Any opportunity to run free, so to speak, is my preference.

A big tip, imho, is to liken a graphic novel to a stop action film.
It might take me a long time to explain my own formula, but that tip is as close as I can come, sorry.

Oh and if I had to choose a character that I haven’t worked on and would like to, I’d sayDr.Strange.
…having nothing to do with the advent of the film.

Originally it was supposed to be tight pencils. I had no idea who the inker would be. Fortunately, Frank volunteered and asked to work from my breakdowns.

I’d say he made a helluva good choice!!

No, the smaller dimensions didn’t affect me in any way. I didn’t even know what final size would be!

As you say that, it is very much something that I see in your work. There is always a sense of movement, particularly in your work on Spider-Man or Daredevil.

That’s really good advice.

I would deeply love to see that book. Would you like to take it in a Ditko-esque direction? Do you have a different take? Would you prefer to keep that to yourself?

Thank you very much for taking the time. I’m very much looking forward to All Star Batman and your super secret surprise book with Mr. Millar.

Great stuff. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to your Dark Knight story.

Honestly, I would like to dive into creator owned, completely, for an indefinite amount of time.
Shmuggy and Bimbo, Is a pet project of mine because it’s from my original story. Howard Chaykin came aboard and made it “ours”, in that he added his genius to it and advanced it.
I’m about to finish the first issue and it will be in black and white, printed from pencils.

Two things: Batman and Scott Snyder!

I never tease, but Two Face is a nasty sob!