millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Fan Chat Season 2. Episode 9 - Dan Slott

Our guest this week for the Millarworld chat series is comic writer, Dan Slott. Dan is the current writer on Marvel Comics’ The Amazing Spider-Man and is also known for his work on books such as Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, The Superior Spider-Man, and Ren & Stimpy.

Please feel free to leave any questions you might have for Dan in this thread ahead of time but only question questions please. All other posts will be deleted. Thank you.

Dan’s Twitter

Join us on June 8th at 2:00 PM New York time.

You can also check out previous chats here.

Hi Dan. I met you at the Film & Comic Con in Cardiff a couple of months ago and I completely forgot to ask: did you get chance to check out the Doctor Who Experience while you were there?

Hello Dan,

Thank you taking the time out to chat with us again. I’m really enjoying the current direction on Amazing. It is so much fun. I also like how you find the time for the smaller moments. The disappointment in Spidey when he said the “Secret Santa” line during the Zodiac story was both hilarious and poignant.

In any case, I should ask some questions before they kick me out of here for loitering :smile:

• There are a lot of aspiring writers here on the boards. Do you have any advice you can give them about storytelling or any suggestions of pitfalls that that should best be avoided when trying to write a comic (or anything)?
  • Is there anything that you would love to write but have never had the opportunity?
  • Doctor Who Series 9. What did you think? I had my doubts, but thought that the last two episodes were some the strongest that the series has ever done. What are your thoughts about Chris Chibnall as the new showrunner?

Thanks again.

It would be madness if he didn’t.

Dan, unless you are mad, did you enjoy the Doctor Who Experience?

(I did a lot but they have redone it all now for Capaldi and want to go again). My daughter, aged 5 at the time, got to ‘fly the Tardis’. I would have exploded if I had that opportunity at that age. :smile:

Hi Dan,

You are on an absolute mega run with Amazing-Spider-Man, which it’s obvious to see as a reader that you are having a lot of fun with.
Can you see yourself continuing on the book for a good length of time yet and do you have a personal end point in mind?

You’ve done most of your work at Marvel over the last few years. Do you have any characters at DC you would really like to tackle?

Can you picture yourself doing another run as long as you have on Spider-Man with any other characters or is that something that has just happened organically?

Thanks, Chris

Hi! I didn’t get to check out the new exhibits at the Doctor Who Experience this year. But I’ve gone a number of times in the past. Once when it was in London (before moving to its permanent home). And twice on previous visits to Cardiff. LOVE the DWE! :smiley:

__

Dan, you’re the first prime Spider-Writer in a long while to use Hobie Brown, the Prowler. Are there any other “gray” Spider-Characters we can expect to see soon? Rocket Racer? Puma? Hypno Hustler?

Hi, Simon.

No real advice for writers other than to keep writing and keep reading. Trial and error can be your best teachers. Chuck Jones (creator of The Road Runner) once said, “Every artist has a thousand bad drawings in them, and it’s good to get them out as quickly as possible.” Same holds true for any creative endeavor.

I would love to write stories for Indiana Jones, Doctor Who, and Fantastic Four… and a zillion other properties. And, of course, make some of my own comics with my own characters. But Spider-Man is my dream gig-- and a very demanding one (time-wise).

I thought Season 9 was pound-for-pound one of the best seasons since Season 2. Heaven Sent is one of the all-time great eps. And the Bootstrap monologue in Before the Flood, and the anti-war speech in The Zygon Inversion were 2 of the crowning achievements of Capaldi’s run so far.

Write Off 3. Unsolved Mystery. Pick a winner!

I loved Heaven Sent. I loved that they allowed the Doctor to be silent. And that they made the show a Spaghetti Western for a while. Absolutely loved it.

With regard to your own characters, do you have anything cooking? Is there anything that you would like to tease? Would we be seeing a very different side to Dan Slott than we have before?

Hi, Chris!

1. I could write Spidey forever. :slight_smile:

2. Yup. Marvel has me under an exclusive contract-- which for a freelancer is a WONDERFUL thing. Health insurance, job assurance, steady income, etc.

As for DC characters, would love to write some more Batman and Superman. As well as write stories for The Creeper, Deadman, the Marvel Family, the Silver Age Doom Patrol, Flash, and many, many others. Love the DCU.

1. The Fantastic Four. Would LOVE to have a nice long run on the FF.

With DEAD NO MORE coming up, Jake, you might even see some characters who have been long-absent from the book… because they were DEAD. :wink:

Simon,
Yes. No. Yes. :stuck_out_tongue:

So you’re saying I might get to see the Original Aunt May again? I have missed her since ASM #400. :smiley:

Thanks. I deserved that. :laughing:

Hi Dan. Do your Doctor Who episode (or maybe even comic) idea that you’d love to see / write?

Jake, Jake, Jake.
That was an actress. :slight_smile:
More of an Aunt Maybe than an Aunt May.

Absolutely!
But I couldn’t blab about them here, 'cause you never know, some day I might get to use them. :smiley:

Hello!

What is your process like? “Process” sounds very high falutin’ but I guess I am basically asking do you have a set writing schedule, any ritual, any thing like that?

Hahaha! :smile: You tease!