millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Fan Chat Season 2. Episode 12 - Millarworld Annual 2016 Creators

This week we have a very exciting and interesting Millarworld chat lined up. We will have not one but thirteen new comic creators, Mark Abnett, Shaun Brill, Cliff Bumgarner, Deniz Camp, Philip Huxley, Ricardo Mo, Pracheta Banerjee, Steve Beach, Conor Hughes, Myron Macklin, Ifesinachi Orjiekwe, Ozgur Yildirim and Satine Zillah, who will be celebrating their mainstream comic debut with Millarworld Annual 2016. They will all be guided by our very own Millarworld editor extraordinaire, @Rachael_Millarworld.

Please feel free to leave any questions you might have in this thread ahead of time but only question questions please. All other posts will be deleted. Thank you.

So go out and buy the book from your local comic shop or online retailer. Then, join us on July 13th at 2:00 PM New York time.

You can also check out previous chats here.

HOW DOES IT FEEL?!? :wink: love Eds x

Hello collected Millarworld Annual creators.

Firstly, sincere congratulations! I’m absolutely delighted to see this in print.

As they tend to kick you out of this bar if you loiter too long, I better ask a couple of questions

• What have you learned from this experience?
  • Was it easier or more difficult than you thought it would be?
  • What advice do you have for the folks pitching for the 2017 Annual? Are there any common mistakes to avoid?

Goddamn I’m early.

Hi Rachael…Don’t you just hate being the first person to arrive to a party? :smile:

Guess I’m second person at the party :smiley:

Hi everyone:)

The collaboration went smoothly, a more detailed view to how the comic industry works

I personally found it difficult, as my style is pretty time consuming, otherwise there were no issues.

The only advice would be to have an eye catching and different style, one that stands out from the rest.

One common mistake would be not going through the rules carefully.

Thanks for the support! I have a meeting soon so I wanted to get at least one answer in before and return as soon as I am able.

Q:What have you learned from this experience?

A:I’ve learned a few things. I got to experience some of the inner workings of comic production. It was great working with Rachael to get all of the needed pieces aligned with production. She needs an app! Getting feedback from Mark was also pretty cool.

I also got even more respect for this artform because of the sheer amount of work involved to do it. It can be exhausting, but worth it, sort of like Rocky running up the stairs.

It was nice to be included in a team of people. I’ve worked on my own comic before and though it has is niceties, its easy to get in your own head and your own way. We are the freshman class on this venture and I think we all want each other to get better and flourish as fellow creatives. Oorah!

One big thing I learned, even though the Millarworld contest was the most ideal of circumstances it is not at all common from my experience. By that I mean for us all to be paid industry comparable rates, promoted, treated as professionals, comp copies, advice from the MAN himself: Mark Millar is huge. I’ll be forever grateful for this experience.

Q:Was it easier or more difficult than you thought it would be?

A:I thought it being only 5 pages, would mean that I could do the work pretty quickly, but learned very quickly that it would be a challenge. My hand was cramping by the end probably from holding a mouse/stylus all day and holding a pencil/pen by night. I’ll have to have a better strategy for doing work of this sort in future.

What advice do you have for the folks pitching for the 2017 Annual? Are there any common mistakes to avoid?

Work on your samples NOW! Don’t wait. Because I only had samples from my personal work and not Millarworld related, I was able to present work that I could spend more time on and was akin to the type of subject matter I was interested in. Do three good pages of the type of story you’d want to draw and read. The passion will come through. You’ll also have time to get feedback and fix your work.

I learned a lot of thing… It was awesome experience for me… And i’m working different works and i met different people (cool guys) thanks to millarworld:) and i’m learning english day by day:)

Q: Was it easier or more difficult than you thought it would be?

I did a couple of covers in a past but nothing with big names. Personally I thought this cooperation would me more difficult…I’m talking about reminders for the final cover or designing it. I was surprised how easy going and smooth it was. People from Millarworld seems to be really nice guys!

Q-What advice do you have for the folks pitching for the 2017 Annual? Are there any common mistakes to avoid?

• I think they should be distinctive style they own

Hi Simon,
Shortly after the winners were announced, some of those who missed out ths year started posting their scripts on the forum. Along with the art samples everyone was free to peruse, I would have to say that what I learned was just how much passion, determination and talent there are in the Millarworld community. If this competition continues, I only see it going from strength to strength.

It was different to what I expected. I figured writing the submission and winning would be the end of the hard work. In fact, things were just getting started. Editing a short to include instructions is so much harder than writing a script from scratch.

Advice-wise, I guess don’t try to be Mark. Be yourself, but always bear in mind that you have to appeal to Mark’s tastes. So don’t wander too far from the inspiration.

Hi guys!

Q: What advice do you have for the folks pitching for the 2017 Annual? Are there any common mistakes to avoid?

If you working on pages or covers: Create a portfolio! Show there various mimics, camera angles, shading, action poses, perspective, composition, story telling. Be aware if you creating a comic you need to be an actor, director, camera man… Everything is so important in comics. People who will hire you want to see that you are capable to handle these.

I’m genuinely interested in what the feedback has been like so far from people who have read the book - has anyone spoken to readers/suppliers etc?

Thanks, Simon!

What Have You Learned: More than anything it’s the nuts and bolts of working in comics, working with an editor, doing promotion, etc. I’ve been making my own, with artists and letterers and what have you, so that side was very familiar to me. But working with an editor, the incomparable Ms. Fulton, was new and really wonderful, being asked for interviews and getting on ‘anticipated’ lists and seeing reviews and what not – that was new, time consuming, exhuasting, and really gratifying.

Was It Easier/Harder: Writing the story came easier than I thought; it was easy for me to slip on that glove, perhaps because I loved the original, perhaps because I love that kind of character. Likewise, Rachael did all the hard work of coordination, and Pracheta did all the hard work of illustrating, so that part was easy as pie! :slight_smile: Harder was definitely everything that came after, the publicity and all mentioned before. It’s very different, but also cool.

What Advice for 2017: Generally, pour your heart into it. Don’t try to guess what anyone wants – write what YOU want, with those characters. Something that means something to you, reflects something about you.

More specifically, do your best to really analyze and figure out what made the initial story work, what were Mark and his collaborators trying to do or say there. Service that, build your story on that foundation, but make sure you’re servicing that in a new and unique way. Try to add something to the universe. And perhaps most crucial, and the most unifying thread, hit some strong emotional beat or beats.

It may seem hard, but it’s just a matter of sitting down and going for it.

What to Avoid: Going too far away from the original story, or staying too close to it. There’s a sweet spot with properties when you’re continuing with them, and the key is to hit them. Also, recognize the limitations of your space. If you can’t execute it well in the space you’re given, then toss the idea aside. This is an execution, rather than conceptual, game. Mark and his collaborators already did the ‘idea’ thing. It’s your execution that is going to stand out.

I’ve seen some nice tweets so far, a couple good reviews. Rich from Bleeding Cool even reviewed it. Generally, people are digging it. So well done!

Q- Was it easier or more difficult than you thought it would be?

• I can answer this quetions one by one, its more fun:P
    It was difficult as i guess, but it was more enjoyable experience than i guess…:slight_smile: I want to live this feeling again:)