millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Fan Chat Season 2. Episode 11 - Frank Quitely

Our guest this week for the Millarworld chat series is comic artist Frank Quitely. Frank Quitely, the pen name for Scottish comic book artists Vincent Deighan, is best known for his frequent collaborations with Grant Morrison on titles such as New X-Men, We3, All-Star Superman, and Batman and Robin, as well as his work with our own Mark Millar on The Authority and Jupiter’s Legacy. You can find the latest issue of his work, Jupiter’s Legacy Vol. 2 #1, at your local comic shop today.

Please feel free to leave any questions you might have in this thread ahead of time but only question questions please. All other posts will be deleted. Thank you.

Join us on June 29th at 2:00 PM New York time.

You can also check out previous chats here.

Hiya Frank! Always delighted when you have time to come by!

Okay - Who is “Jupiter”? I know you know! :laughing:

Seriously, from the few preview pages, I’d guess you’re getting better. Now, you’re on a level few achieve. What aspects do you work on now, in your own mastery?

I’m curious to know what materials you use. Most importantly what brand of pencil or mechanical pencil, pen and paper? I recently started using a blue pencil, cause I want to be like you when I grow up (I’m only 39). So far I find I can’t get super crisp lines, but maybe that’s a problem with my paper, which I’m not actually that happy with. I like the weight but not the texture.
I may not be able to get the same brand in Canada, so is there a particular trait you look for in said materials?
Also, do you have plans for your next project? Any writers you hope to work with in the future, or characters you’d like to work on.

Hello Sir,

Thank you for taking the time out to chat with us. And thank you for your work on things like Jupiter’s Legacy and Pax Americana, right back to The Authority back in the day.

I have a couple of stock questions that I like to throw out. So here goes - Is there project or genre that you would like to work on, but have never had the opportunity to do? Is there a Barbarian Rom Com in your head, just waiting to bust out?

Also, I think that most people would acknowledge that you are a master storyteller on the page. Is there any advice that you could give to aspiring storytellers? Any pitfalls that they should avoid?

Hello Sir, thank your time this year again, here are my quesions (sorry if there are too many, I’m so exited):

1.- In Jupiter’s Legacy 2 your art venture in the universe of architecture design more than ever, is architecture a new passion for you?
2.- Your art is so beautifully detailed, are you getting faster doing those details or more dedicated?
3.- How does it feel that your creation is getting a movie done soon? did you imagine that could happen someday or is it a pleasant surprise?
4.- When will you make a sketchbook? a Kickstarter?
5.- When will you open a social media account like tiwtter, instagram? so I can ask questions frecuently :wink:
6.- I read Jupiters Legacy 2 #1, and blew my mind, so…Who is Jupiter and this series will end this awesome universe?

Thank you so much!

Do you have a funny drinking story that you and Mark have had?

Hi Frank.
I was wondering if you were enjoying being a patron of Glasgow Comic Con and what that entails. Have you been involved with putting it all together? Looking forward to your talks at the Con also. Is being the interviewer rather than the interviewee something you are looking forward to and what prep have you done?

Cheers

Kev

From FLIPGEEKS.COM www.flipgeeks.com:

=what issue are you now working on jupiter’s legacy 2?

=what comic books do you read these days?

=If given the chance, who will he pick from the big two to create a super team. And how would he change each of them in terms of aesthetic and personality? Or…
How much of himself does he reflect/project into a character? Or…
If he is one of the characters he has drawn before, who is likely to be wholistically him in terms of visuals and

=mark millar has massive amount of fans here in manila, and surely, you have one too. would you like to come with him the next time he goes here?

Hi Frank,

Two questions from me if that’s ok!

1. As your art has evolved, it feels as though there’s been an increasing interest in pushing the boundaries of what’s possible visually, exploring extra dimensions within the two-dimensional space of a traditional comics page. I’m thinking of stuff like We3, Pax Americana and this moment from Jupiter’s Legacy #1:

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0129.jpg

Is this something that you actively seek to include in your books, or has it just happened that these stories have called for moments like this that go beyond a more traditional approach - and can you see yourself taking things in an even more experimental direction in future?

1. Do you have any interest in writing your own books in future, possibly in the creator-owned arena? It would be great to see what kinds of stories you would tell.

Thanks for taking the time out to chat today,

Dave

Ronnie, Way to stick up for the Chief

:disappointed::laughing:
1.)Sir, in these type of settings, do you prefer Vince or Frank?
2) Jupiter’s legacy is Amazing. Your range is unbelievable. do you approach scenes like Grace’s Death and Chloe’s arrival to save her son differently? because they evoke such different emotions.

Hello Frank / Vincent, big, big fan here in Brazil. Sorry for bad english … but I would love to know:

How is your relationship with the writers who usually work (as Morrison, Millar) with respect to the script? Scenes / storytelling is already defined or you suggest how things might work better? I think of work as Flex Mentallo, Authority and WE3 where you kind of “deconstructs” the most classic narrative of traditional comics … this is already in the script or application is your decision how to approach these materials?

I loved to know some of your studio and work through the BBC doc “What Do Artists Do All Day”. Would it be possible to see a little more of your routine work and “making-off videos” via official websites / social networks (facebook, twitter) one day? Please?

Another thing I really liked was the “Graphic Ink: The DC Comics Art of Frank Quitely” compiling yours works with DC. It’s possible we may see some day a publication compiling the work done for other publishers?

Thank you and I am very excited to see you for the first time this year at comic-con CCXP 2016 in Brazil. You are my favorite comic book artist and a modern master of narrative…I would love to have a sketch yours, if it’s possible. Thanks for everything “Frank” and keep with the beautiful work…
Cheers,
Fabricio

Hello!

Look! I’m early!

Hi Miqque,

Jupiter’s Legacy is a whodunnit, and Jupiter is the character who done it - I told mark it was too obvious, but he wouldn’t listen.
I would have said SPOILER ALERT, but I think everybody had guessed that anyway.

Thanks for the kind words.
I suppose storytelling is the thing that I work on most.
I really enjoy doing the covers, I really enjoy designing characters and environments, I really love drawing, and I want to keep learning more about these aspects of my work, but I feel the storytelling is the main priority for me.
I got to a stage where I was spending more and more time exploring the different ways I can break down a script and tell the story, and over the last few years I’ve been taking longer and longer to produce the work as a result of this growing, control-freak madness, so now I’m concentrating on trusting my instincts and thankfully it’s working and my productivity is back to normal.

Welcome back!

haha, nice. Hi Frank.

Thesseleman,

I used to use non-repro blue pencils for the underdrawing, but not for the last few years.
There was a brand I really liked but I can’t remember the name, but that doesn’t matter now cause they stopped making them when the company got bought over. I believe Prismacolor are pretty hard so retain their point longer but you have to lean heavier to see the mark it’s leaving, and Sketcher by Caran d’Ache are pretty soft so don’t retain their point so well but being softer it feels more like a regular graphite pencil, leaving a mark with less effort - but I’m no expert on art materials - even though I’m making this answer boring enough to make myself sound like an expert!

I use a technical pencil (rotring, staedtler or whatever) with HB graphite lead, usually a 0.5, sometimes a 0.7 to thumbnail the scripts,
then I draw the underdrawing on a wacom cintiq,
then print that out on A3 bristol board (I’m using Windsor and Newton just now) on a color printer using only cyan,
then I do all the finished drawing using the same aforementioned cheap technical pencil,
then the ever-patient Rob Miller scans the pages, templates them, strips out the cyan, adjusts the contrast, cleans up anything that looks like it’s not meant to be there…

Sorry to all you non-artists out there who have now fallen asleep, but this is the kind of thing we artists just can’t help asking each other - this sort of stuff and “how many pages can you do a week?”

Hi frank I got couple questions to ask you
1 who do you like to draw the most
2 who was better dc or marvel
3 How did you start in comics
4 any tips or recommend books for upcoming artist
5 will you be at comic con on Saturday
6 what comic or manga influence you

Cheers SimonJones,
Glad you’ve enjoyed Pax and JL and Authority…

I’ve written a bunch of short stories that I intend to to draw at some point - hopefully soon after finishing JL.
There isn’t a Barbarian Rom Com (yet), but I’ve got old ladies fighting, call girls calling at the wrong house, cooking dramas, hitmen, Bumheids - it’s a real mixed bag.

Best advice for aspiring artists - do your best work all the time.
Don’t do a rush-job cause you’re not in the mood or cause you don’t like the story or cause it’s an indie publication and you’re not getting paid - if you’re drawing a page make it the very best you can do at the time. all the time.

pitfalls to avoid - don’t spend too long polishing a turd
(Who said, “you can’t polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter”? - I know that’s not helping the point I’m making but I remember reading it somewhere and I can’t remember who said it…)

I watched your BBC doc yesterday. It was really cool.
I was thrilled to see you love Akira. That book blows my mind. I always wondered if Otomo really did all that work on his own, or if perhaps he had un-credited minions working on the art for him. It’s just so huge, and perfect. I think out of the entire series, there’s one hand drawn poorly, and one other thing but I can’t remember what. I asked a Japanese friend of mine and she said yes, that was most likely the case, that he had helpers, but she doesn’t know for sure.
What do you think/know about that?
And would you ever consider working like that, with a minion or two? Not those crazy yellow dudes, but some real artists, perhaps trained by you?