millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Ell Balson Art Thread

Hi guys, it’s been a while!

That’s me graduating soon, so now seems a good time to get back into posting here - I very much enjoyed the last one of these I had, so I can only assume this will be the same.

Started a new art page on facebook, but it’s fairly bare-bones just now, I’ll be moving stuff from my personal FB page over the next week or so.

Got a project lined up that should be good fun, which I’ll post about when I can/if I’m allowed. In the mean time, as I say, I’ll post up some old stuff and see how it fares.

Once that new project’s done, I’ll be looking for collaborators and likely be open for commisions - stay tuned!

Here’s the cover to the art-book I’ll have on display at the Degree Show. I’ll be graduating from the Animation course at DJCAD in Dundee, so you’ll get to see some moving stuff when my showreel’s up!

Welcome back, Elliot. Can’t wait to see what you’ve been cooking.

Thanks man! :slight_smile:

When my sister graduated from DJCAD I went down to the degree show and was really impressed with everything on display. Going by her experience though it sounds like a lot of work. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Yup, sounds about right! Cheers!

Glad to have you back! I can’t wait to see your work.

Hey all!

That’s my Degree Show done, so I can now show you all what I’ve been up to! Below’s my showreel - the 1940s style sections were from a project called ‘The Royal’ that I figure-headed. Unfortunately, due to issues with the team, we didn’t get it finished. The seagulls are from ‘Gone Birdin’, a fun wee film I worked on with a group of mates and that should be available to put online soon (hopefully, I think you guys’ll love it). The beardy man might seem familiar to some of you - that’s from ‘The Fisherman’, originally a comic I posted here, which I re-worked a bit and animated a couple scenes for (the animatic’s below). The ‘Scooby Doo’ bit is from Time Jumpers, another fun project by a friend of mine that I helped out on (again, he’ll hopefully have it up online soon so I can show you guys).

2D Animation Showreel:

The Fisherman:

I DO NOT CLAIM OWNERSHIP FOR THE MUSIC. THE TRACKS BELONG TO DEAD PIRATES (WOOD) AND SEASICK STEVE (DARK), RESPECTIVELY.

As much fun as animation was, it definitely solidified for me that I’d prefer to be involved in all the static stages and pre-production (namely concept art and storyboards). Toning’s fun though. Comics are where I’m at and plan to stay.

Here are a handful of things I’ve worked on recently that weren’t Uni related. My main focus will be a comic for a local metal band’s album release (which should be done by the end of the month).

Enjoy! Next up will be my most recent comic project - figure I should give it it’s own post to save cluttering this one up.

Nice work, Elliot!
Refresh my memory - was it you who posted a set of clear-line drawing headshots for a group of 1920’s characters way back? (Or was that Adam?)

If it was you, your style’s really evolved.
The Carol Danvers head shot really reminds me of something - the flat triangular nose and widely spaced eyes, but I can’t put my finger on it. Is this style based on anyone else’s work in particular?

Thanks, Mike! Yup, sounds like me!

Cheers man! It was vaguely based on the Disney Infinity look, but the triangular nose reminds me of something else that I can’t quite put my finger on either.

A couple wee teasers for the upcoming projects.

In the words of a disgraced celebrity, because I’m a class act, “Can ya tell whot it is yit?”

Since it’s now been shown at a Talk/Q&A with the man himself today, I guess I can now post up one of the projects I’ve been working on!
I was delighted a couple weeks ago to be asked by Chris Murray from DJCAD to draw a two-page comic outlining the career of Dave Gibbons, a comics icon, to celebrate Dundee University granting him an Honorary Degree this week. Obviously, I wasn’t about to say no! It was a lot of fun, and I’m very grateful Chris asked me. Dave must be sick of hearing it, but Watchmen blew my mind as a teenager, and really pushed what I came to expect from the medium - so much so that I convinced my Higher English teacher to let me do my dissertation on it, a first for the school.
So, here are the two pages. I also made it into a short animation/motion comic, which I’ll put up here soon.

That is fantastic!

Thanks, man! I still feel like it’s not quite official!

Would it be ok to post that at the beginning of the fan chat next week?

It’s pretty unreal.

Who are the two bearded goons in the front row? They look familiar for some reason.

That is wonderful. Congratulations.

Sure!

Yeah, super surreal.

Likely your local news :wink:

Thanks!

An Old Man Logan pic I did earlier and forgot to upload here.

I’m happy he’s going to be in the main Marvel continuity instead of regular Wolverine - but, I hope it’s not at the character’s detriment.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/p640x640/11850594_1611554169107261_7451903769959630654_o.jpg