millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Does OFFING SOMEONE mean anything in America?

As in killing them or is it just a European expression?

Rachael and I checking this for an upcoming line of dialogue.

MM

4 Likes

Yeah.

Not very commonly used, but no one would raise an eyebrow if the idiom was.

2 Likes

Ya. It works in US parlance. It sounds a bit like someone in the mob would put it to my ears though.

3 Likes

Glad you clarified this was for a book.

6 Likes

Yeah, definitely sounds like mobster talk. I can’t get the idea out of my head of a cockney gangster saying 'I’m gonna off ‘im, Princess’. Seems like a very British phrase but I think it’d work.

Careful with “offing” as opposed to “[getting someone] off”, which is overtly sexual. “End them” is current parlance. “Off them” tends to be an order from a superior. “Snuff them” remains common.

Yeah, but the “getting off” requires the use of the word “getting”.
Which I can’t see why that would be anywhere near there Miqque.

1 Like

Just being thorough in the interest of international relations with the nice Scottish people, Tom!

1 Like

@Mark_Millar Yes, sir. I’m American and I would say that in a conversation and other American’s would know what I was saying.

-Shawn

Used in context of one character telling another to off someone makes perfect sense without confusing anyone.

But everyone up-thread is right in that it does come off a bit like organized crime or someone trying hard to sound like a criminal/tough guy.

You could easily use it instead of the word whack. But you wouldn’t want to use both terms together.

2 Likes