millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Doctor Who Thread of Space and Time: Discussing Twice Upon A Time (SPOILERS)

Here’s what Wikipedia says about the production period for the 10th series:

The read-through for the first production block of the tenth series took place on 14 June 2016. Filming began on 20 June 2016. The second episode was filmed in Valencia, Spain. Shooting for the first block concluded on 28 July 2016. The read-through for the second block took place on 18 July 2016, and filming began on 1 August 2016, beginning with the third episode. Production on the 2016 Christmas special began on 5 September 2016 and wrapped on 30 September 2016. The read-through for “Oxygen” took place on 12 October 2016. Shooting on the fourth block began on 17 October and ended on 18 November 2016. Filming for the fifth block began on 23 November 2016, paused in December for a break over the holidays, and resumed on 3 January 2017 and concluding on 17 January 2017. The sixth block began filming concurrently on 16 January 2017, before concluding on 22 February 2017. On 6 March 2017 the BBC stated that the work on the final two episodes of the series had begun, with Rachel Talalay returning to direct her third consecutive series finale. Filming for the series was concluded on 7 April 2017. Production for the 2017 Christmas special started on 12 June 2017, and concluded on 10 July 2017.

I’m not sure. Consistency on radio is pretty important, plus Scott Mills does TV work at the weekends so even if it’s 8 weeks holiday that time is getting made up elsewhere I’d imagine.

That’s three hours live, too, which is taxing in itself, so typically you have prep work of a few hours going through script and playlists and the 3 hours intense work daily, actually doing the show, so it is earned in terms of effort.

Any actor on the other hand will tell you the brunt of their job is waiting around and that’s the tiring part. It’s long shoot hours but you could be on your phone playing candy crush for most of the time you are actually on the clock.

So 10 months, but not necessarily 10 solid months of shooting?

You said in a sentence what I took a block of text to say. :slight_smile:

(And of course that production schedule doesn’t cover all the promotional stuff that they do around the show, too. For example, I think the show’s main players are all at SDCC this weekend.)

They do get lifted and laid when it comes to that sort of thing. I’m quite sure I’ve read touring promotionally with Who is much more like a holiday compared to promoting a film or something and everyone is much more welcoming.

Edit: I actually think that would be one of the most enjoyable parts for many actors.

Capaldi is a fairly in demand actor. He left a gig as Cardinal Richlieu in The Musketeers to play The Doctor and he has been working solidly for years. So I’m guessing that he wouldn’t be doing the part if it wasn’t financially worth it.

And he really seems to lean into the promotional stuff (like doing in character appearances with kids at the Doctor Who Experience for instance).

Exactly this. However much it sounds like these BBC employees are being “overpaid” (and I don’t think any of them are - I think this just shows that women are being relatively underpaid) they’d all be making oodles more for the commercial broadcasters. The hosts of BBC Breakfast don’t even reach the level of needing their salary exposed (apart from Dan Walker, who also does Football Focus and other stuff) and I guarantee the likes of Susannah Reid and the rest on Good Morning Britain are making substantially more to have been wooed away.

Graham Norton’s on £850k a year for his chat show (which apparently doesn’t count because it’s an independent production, but he could still be doing it elsewhere for more), his radio show, Eurovision and other stuff on top like that Gary Barlow talent show. That’s an absolute bargain.

And he turns up on panel shows like Just a Minute from time to time as well.

A large part of people’s anger when it comes to these things is that they see these jobs as either wish fulfillment or that they just come in, do a few hours talking and then sod off. That is never the case, all these people work very hard. It’s not conventional work but it’s hard work none the less, especially the bits you don’t see, the hours preparing what happens on screen/comes out the radio.

If you listen to many podcasts you understand the prep and planning the professionals do.

I can’t believe you’re trying to suggest that three people sitting around in their pants, recording a freewheeling Skype call doesn’t have the same standards of quality as broadcast radio.

I wasn’t but that’s a great name for a podcast. I call dibs.

Coming soon Three People Sitting around in their Pants recording a Freewheeling Skype Call

I demand royalties of some of that sweet sweet internet money.

You can be one of the three if you like.

I don’t think I could bring myself to wear pants.

I’m glad to see you have standards, Martin.

The pay for Capaldi isn’t about his production schedule alone, when you’re the Dr it’s a very demanding job beyond shooting. And while in the role it’s hard to take on other work. His pay is pretty low, but I think he wanted the job and took the low offer. It’s a bit of a disgrace though.

I expect that most actors don’t earn anywhere near as much as they should considering their lives are always public and they’re involved in big successful programs. And if they’re not producers they won’t earn as much (the Top Gear guys and the Graham Norton earn so much as they’re producers as well as performers). Outside of Dr Who I don’t expect Capaldi earns much more than 300k a year.

Coming back to this, my daughter and I watched Dark Water a couple of days ago, and I had forgotten that it included this exchange:

So maybe the option is open to use both.

(The implication from that exchange seems to be that Time Lady is a bit outdated, but was used at one point - a little bit like the shift we’re seeing towards using the word ‘actor’ for both genders, with ‘actress’ falling out of fashion.)

Also, this is interesting. From the BBC’s official complaints page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaint/DoctorWhoJodieWhittaker/