millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Doctor Who Thread of Space and Time: Discussing Twice Upon A Time (SPOILERS)

Finally got around to watching (most) of the first episode. I still find Capaldi boring but the more charismatic companions helped. With that said, this was a very odd introduction for Bill. I’m not sure why they thought it was a good idea to have the new companion portrayed as an idiot for her introduction. The episode really went out of its way to make her come off as dumb though. It was really weird especially since at other points it treated her as really perceptive.

I picked up Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD recently (I saw it was about a quid at Music Magpie, and I thought it would be fun to revisit it). I started watching it with my daughter last night.

It’s really interesting to see how different the old version of the show feels to the modern version, even in the twilight years of McCoy’s Doctor. It felt much more like a kids’ TV show, and was more easy to follow for my daughter than most of New Who is (she’s watched a couple of the new series, but often has to ask for clarification of what’s going on).

She (and I) enjoyed it anyway. That cliffhanger at the end of part one is as effective as ever! We had to watch the first five minutes of part two so that she didn’t go to bed too scared. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that is a classic.

Doc: Hah, you can’t do stairs Dalek!
Dalek: Oh yeah?
Doc: Well, shiiii…

Have you got to the bit with the Dalek ship landing yet? I only saw it a couple of years ago and I thought it was pretty impressive.

I love Remembrance of the Daleks.

Not yet, no.

We have got to Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air working behind the counter at a greasy spoon, though!

I forgot about that!!! Which episode is it again? A clip might work really well in the American Gods video I’m working on! That may seem like a strange combination to be fair but in context I think I could definitely use it.

Episode 2, about five to ten minutes in (from memory).

Fantastic, thank you :grinning:

He was in Eastenders for a while as well.

The DVD has an extended deleted scene with him in as well, I think.

I was planning to put on Children of Men tonight, but I think that Remembrance of the Daleks needs a rewatch.

In my regular bit of Big Finish evangelism, let me say that Chunky Gilmore and co. were spun off into their own series called Counter Measures. I quite like that it does the Avengers type adventures but gives them a bit of social realism of the time. We see the casual racism, the sexism, class structure, nuclear paranoia etc.

One of McCoy’s favourite lost scenes of the story, apparently.

Oh go on, here it is.

(The regular version, not the extended.)

And it’s a story full of great scenes. What I love about Remembrance is that it actually manages to have themes and allegories and doesn’t really beat you round the head with it. And Ace is great as the eyes for the modern (then and now) viewer in both seeing the past as a foreign country and being asked to confront her own biases.

I seem to remember Steven Moffat citing Remembrance as story that would have sat pretty well into the New series.

Plus it has the Unlimited Rice Pudding speech.

I just want to quote this

and again.

The target book is a good read also - it’s a sorta extended version - your daughter might enjoy reading that, if she is old enough. He was a good author, he should have written more books…

Fixed that for you

Is that by Ben Aaronovitch…If so, I have a copy.

He actually has written other books. He writes the very enjoyable Rivers of London novels (i.e. Harry Potter joins the Metropolitan Police).

Edit: Just checked. That was indeed Ben Aaronovitch.

Apologies. I had an internet irony fail. I re-read the Also people every few years and I even have this one: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1466282.Bernice_Summerfield

Ah…sorry. That was me taking things too literally.