millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Doctor Who Thread of Space and Time: Discussing S11E07 Kerblam!

Yeah, the move to a Sunday has been rumoured for quite a long while now, I remember it being mooted when Chibnall did an interview many months ago about how he planned to make certain changes to the show.

I actually think it’s a good thing, and will help to stop it getting lost in the shuffle among Strictly and X-Factor and all the other Saturday night shows that are on in the autumn.

They’ve also revealed the first episode title: The Woman Who Fell To Earth. It will be an hour long.

For me that’s reason to have it on in the spring, but people of certain age seem to think it’s supposed to be on in the autumn, so… shrug

Airing on Sundays is a big change though. There’s an ineffable difference between Saturday night and Sunday night TV, especially when you’re a kid. Saturday night is big, exciting entertainment. Sunday is twee, chocolate box “family” dramas, boring stuff like Countryfile, Songs of Praise and Antiques Roadshow and the encroaching bed time of a school night.

Well I grew up watching the McCoy era so to me it feels like Doctor Who should be on Wednesday nights. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I think the Sunday slot is probably for various reasons, but one of them is giving it a certain prestige - it’s when a lot of the BBC’s big high-profile shows get scheduled (like the current Bodyguard). And the schedules are less erratic and subject to time changes than Saturday nights.

And yes, the irony is not lost on me that the biggest talking point about Doctor Who today is that the show is daring to travel in time. :slight_smile:

Yeah Sunday is a weird move for me. Even though I’m in my thirties now, it still feels the dreaded watch Last of the Summer Wine, and then have a bath, because you’ve got school in the morning night.

And Strictly and X Factor have their results shows on Sunday’s, so it’s not like there’re totally avoiding those either.

Saying that though if you look at the fact that it has had the highest delayed iPlayer views of any BBC show then a lot of people (including me due to time zones) were watching it on Sunday anyway.

Germany’s most popular, longest-running programme (a crime series) is always on Sunday nights. It’s not a bad day for this kind of thing; families tend to spend Sunday together, and can make a tradition of closing the day watching Who.

What should we read into the move to Sunday?

Taking the move and the reduction in the number of episodes, it comes off a bit like they’re hoping it dies. At least that’s how American tv works.

Hoping it dies? Honestly, no. Not where it is.

Not sure what to do with it and hoping it lights a fire? Totally.

Yeah I doubt they want it to to die. It’s still a popular show for them.
But it does feel like the enthusiasm has been lacking the last few series. So maybe it is time to change things up a bit.

I’m not into the move to Sunday. But I do like the switch to fewer but slightly longer episodes.

That Chibnall thinks it’s a good idea? Presumably he has suggested the change.

I don’t think they’re trying to kill it, they could just choose to not make it (or ‘rest’ it for a few years again) if they wanted to.

Is that Tatort, is that still on tv? German krimis were quite popular in the Netherlands in the 80s and 90s.

The Dutch absurdist sketch comedy show Jiskefet did a brilliant parody of Derrick. I am not sure how well it translates for foreigners though, Jiskefet is very Dutch. Part of it is making fun of how German sounds to Dutch people and I don’t think every word is correct German.

We’re moving more and more into an era where people stream TV when they want to.

I’m not as concerned about the move to Sunday as I still am about Chibnall.

I hope I’m wrong.

Not really directly Doctor Who related, but there’s some news on this Blu-Ray release too.

https://www.steelbookbluray.com/classic-douglas-adams-sci-fi-comedy-the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-is-getting-a-new-restored-and-remastered-blu-ray-release/

Nice cover:

Although I might even prefer the retro VHS-style variant:

Probably going to pick this up.

You could make a similar argument for putting a band’s entire back catalogue on a single CD in mp3 format. You could do it, but no band ever has done it (as far as I know). Would there really be a market for it?

I can think of a few acts on the nerd music scene who’ve released USB drives with their entire back catalogue on them in MP3 format.

You illegally torrenting them and putting the files on a usb drive isn’t the same thing.

It totally counts, fuck you!