millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Doctor Who Thread of Space and Time: Discussing New Year's Special "Resolution"

I loved this scene, especially as it was trimmed down in the trailer. Gambon was brilliant in it;

The full version;

2 Likes

“No! Sho! Blo! The Judoon are storming back into Doctor Who in full force, and the streets of Gloucester aren’t safe," returning showrunner Chris Chibnall said in a statement. “If anyone has anything to hide, confess now. The Judoon are taking no prisoners, and will stop at nothing to fulfil their mission! The whole team on Doctor Who are delighted and scared in equal measure to welcome them back: one of many treats we’ve got in store for viewers next series. And we’re over the moon (with Judoon), to be welcoming the wondrous Neil Stuke as guest star. We can’t wait to show you what happens when his path crosses with the Thirteenth Doctor.”

We finished the Matt Smith era this week, with the 50th Anniversary special and Time of the Doctor.

The Day Of The Doctor special is still tons of fun and seems to get better every time I watch it, as I notice more and more clever lines or bits of setup or parallels between the multiple plots that run through the episode. And seeing Smith and Tennant together is a joy, with Hurt really making an impression in his single story. This is the big, bold movie version of Doctor Who, and somehow it works.

And then Smith’s regeneration episode. It has gone from one that I had mixed feelings about to one that I really love. Yes, it’s jam-packed with explanations and callbacks and dealing with the show’s lore - all stuff that could have used a longer episode (or even a full series!) to deal with properly.

But it also has one of Smith’s best performances ever as the Doctor, showing him ageing and slowing down slightly but still retaining that spark in a way that you totally buy into because of the way he sells it.

And then the regeneration scene is just great. I can’t deny I get quite choked up at the moments where he talks about the people we are and the people we used to be. And it’s great to see Amy again one last time. And that smash to Capaldi is a great way to introduce him.

Oh, just watch it yourself.

Goodbye, Matt Smith - you were the best.

5 Likes

He really was. The regeneration episode is wonderfully epic, one of the few times I think where leaping thru time really felt like it meant something. Smith is amazing in the role, he’ll always be my favorite because of performances like that episode.

2 Likes
3 Likes

That image feels like it should be captioned “Phrasing!”

7 Likes

Oooo, nice. I’ve still not picked up Macra yet, mind.

3 Likes

Better than the whole of season 23 there

1 Like

Thanks Dave - you inspired me to do the same and rewatch all of the Matt Smith episodes over the last few weeks.

He really is my favourite Doctor I think.

Even the less-good episodes stand up pretty well when watching all together, and the Doctor/Amy/Rory relationship is great. I’m still much less of a fan of Clara (and can’t even really put a finger on why) but that TARDIS crew with Amy and Rory is one of my all-time favourites.

I’ve dipped in and out of the 10th and 12th Doctor stories as well over the last week or so … while I love both Tennant and Capaldi as the Doctor, I think their eras spark just that little bit less.

(Oh, and I know a lot of people here aren’t fans, but I do have a lot of time for River Song … i got to “The Husbands of River Song” and immediately went back to watch “Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead” (still one of my favourite single stories). It’s not perfect but her story bouncing around time and the Doctor works for me)

5 Likes

I haven’t got around to listening to them, but Big Finish have done quite a bit with River. Her own series, some guest roles elsewhere.

1 Like

I think it’s (for me anyway) a persistent sense of self-satisfaction that permeates all her scenes.

3 Likes

I’m the same with Clara. Partly I think it’s the way the character is written (the sassy outsmarting of the Doctor and also the fact that she becomes this amazing mystery woman who has played such a key role in all of the Doctors’ lives, which makes her feel like the most naff kind of overly-important fan-fiction creation) and partly the performance which is really smug and grating.

She has her moments, and my daughter quite liked her (especially once she became a teacher, which is obviously quite a relatable adult type for a kid), but she was no Amy.

3 Likes

Great! I’m delighted you enjoyed it too.

1 Like

I still haven’t seen the last few episodes of last series.

My Who fix is pretty much being maintained by Big Finish. Legacy of Time comes out tomorrow and cannot wait as I can listen to it on the train journey home.

I’m also really tempted to start buying the Torchwood series 5 onwards as I hear they are great. So behind on my listening though. Got the end of Dark Eyes and all of Ravenous to listen to.

1 Like

Matt Smith and Sylvester McCoy remain my favourites. Still don’t want to rewatch Pertwee for some reason.

2 Likes

Interesting bit of Big Finish news:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/donna-noble-saves-the-world

Donna Noble is returning in a new Big Finish release, Donna Noble: Kidnapped! , but can she manage on her own? She’ll fly the TARDIS, make new friends and take the mantle of Earth’s protector in four fantastic adventures coming out in May 2020. We hope the universe is ready for her!

Catherine Tate made her debut as Donna in December 2006, in the glorious Christmas special The Runaway Bride and, fortunately for fans, re-appeared as the Doctor’s companion in 2008. One series and two Christmas specials later, Donna made her final on-screen appearance alongside David Tennant ’s Tenth Doctor on 1st January 2010.

Catherine went on to reprise her role for Big Finish in two sets of audio adventures with her best mate, the Doctor, in The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volumes One and Three – perfectly replicating the beloved pairing.

And now Donna will be fighting monsters (and her overbearing mother) with a new companion in four more thrilling audio adventures:

Out of this World by Jacqueline Rayner
Spinvasion by John Dorney
The Sorcerer of Albion by James Goss
The Chiswick Cuckoos by Matt Fitton

Script editor and writer, Matt Fitton , told us more about bringing back Donna: “Donna – on her own and saving the world! It’s just irresistible, isn’t it? There were a few directions we could take for a solo Donna Noble set – from before her travels to during them – but I thought an interesting angle would be the fallout from the Library (when she experiences life with a perfect family then has it ripped away from her). After that she just wants the comfort of home for a bit.

Catherine Tate will be joined by actor Jacqueline King reprising her TV role as Sylvia Noble – Donna’s mother. Matt continues: “Donna and her mum are such brilliant Russell T Davies creations. Perfectly formed and completely believable in their dysfunctionality – it’s a joy to see Donna’s journey from the self-doubt Sylvia’s drummed into her to discovering she can really make a difference. At this point in her travels she’s starting to believe in herself, even without the Doctor.

“And Donna’s best friend from school is along for the ride. Nat, played by Niky Wardley , is everything Donna isn’t: a career woman, happily married, successful and confident – Sylvia hopes it’ll rub off on her daughter! But when Nat sees what Donna’s life is really like, Nat starts to question her own; perhaps it’s not all as perfect as it’s painted. It’s a lovely relationship, and great to give Donna an ‘assistant’ to herself.”

This box set also includes Isla Blair as Marge, David Schofield as Parval, Phil Cornwell as Parsnip, Nisha Nayar as Coleridge, Sebastian Armesto as Garrison, Anthony Howell as Adrian, Lydia West as Vivien, Tim Bentinck as Ganthak, Dan Starkey as Dennis and James Joyce as UNIT’s Josh Carter.

David Richardson , producer of Donna Noble: Kidnapped! , tells us more: “I’ve been lucky enough to produce something starring Catherine Tate twice before. I’d call her a national treasure but I think that undersells her – she’s an international treasure who has populated our entertainment industry with so many beloved characters.

“Donna Noble is the stardust which was sprinkled over Doctor Who TV series four; she and the Tenth Doctor deservedly became a hugely popular pairing. And here she is at Big Finish, with her own spin-off series. We are so fortunate to have her.”

Catherine Tate told us more in studio, “It’s lovely that Donna is in charge! The characters carry on developing and having a life on audio. You get a glimpse into the richness of what Donna did. It all adds to the tragedy that at the end Donna loses everything, and it’s all the worse to be forgotten.”

Donna Noble: Kidnapped! will be crashing into Earth’s atmosphere in May 2020 and is available to pre-order now from BigFinish.com priced at £24.99 on CD or £19.99 on download.

1 Like

For their 20th anniversary, Big Finish are broadcasting audios on Youtube all weekend:

SATURDAY (Starts at 12:00 UK)

• The Sirens of Time - Part 1 starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy
  • Spare Parts starring Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton
  • The Marian Conspiracy starring Colin Baker and Maggie Stables
  • The Fires of Vulcan starring Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford
  • The Chimes of Midnight starring Paul McGann and India Fisher
  • Energy of the Daleks starring Tom Baker and Louise Jameson
  • The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield: The Revolution (from The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield Volume 1) starring Lisa Bowerman and Sylvester McCoy
  • Captain Jack: Wednesday for Beginners (from The Lives of Captain Jack Volume 1) starring John Barrowman and Camille Coduri
  • Celestial Intervention (from Gallifrey: Time War 1) starring Lalla Ward and Seán Carlsen
  • The Time War: The Starship of Theseus (from The Eighth Doctor: The Time War 1) starring Paul McGann and Rahkee Thakrar
  • The War Master: Beneath the Viscoid (from The War Master: Only the Good) starring Sir Derek Jacobi and Nicholas Briggs as the Daleks
  • Jenny - The Doctor’s Daughter: Stolen Goods (from Jenny - The Doctor’s Daughter) starring Georgia Tennant and Sean Biggerstaff
  • The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Cold Vengeance - Part 1 (from Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures, Volume 2) starring David Tennant and Billie Piper
  • The Sirens of Time - Part 2 starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy

SUNDAY (Starts at 12:00 UK)

• The Sirens of Time - Part 3 starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy
  • Blood of the Daleks starring Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith
  • The Phoenicians (from The First Doctor Adventures Volume 3) starring David Bradley
  • The Yes Men starring Anneke Wills and Frazer Hines
  • The Conquest of Far (from the Third Doctor Adventures Volume 3) starring Tim Treloar and Katy Manning
  • The Auntie Matter starring Tom Baker and Mary Tamm
  • Dalek Soul starring Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton
  • Jubilee starring Colin Baker and Maggie Stables
  • Master starring Sylvester McCoy and Geoffrey Beevers
  • The Sirens of Time - Part 4 starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy
  • Doom Coalition: The Eleven (from Doom Coalition 1) starring Paul McGann, Nicola Walker and Mark Bonnar
  • The Assassination Games starring Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred
  • The War Doctor: The Innocent (from The War Doctor: Only the Monstrous) starring Sir John Hurt
  • UNIT: Tidal Wave (from UNIT: Assembled) starring Jemma Redgrave, Ingrid Oliver and Katy Manning
  • The Diary of River Song: The Boundless Sea (from the Diary of River Song Series 1) starring Alex Kingston and Alexander Vlahos
  • The Legacy of Time starring Paul McGann, Alex Kingston and Lisa Bowerman
2 Likes

You know, I don’t have this problem with Clara, but this is pretty much how I feel about River Song. And I like her character well enough on paper, it’s just that I can’t stand Alex Kingston’s performance.

1 Like