millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Doctor Who Thread of Space and Time: Discussing New Year's Special "Resolution"

Heh, BF have gone much further than that - They’re doing 4x 4CD sets for the Time War, with McGann as the Doc.

During my recent trip to Dearborn, I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours at the Henry Ford Museum. They had the Rosa Parks bus there. The actual bus. And you could walk on board it.

That was a slightly surreal experience after having seen the recent Doctor Who episode

That’s from the anniversary thing, isn’t it? I really liked that (more than I like a lot of the actual episodes :smiley: ).

Yeah that was loads of fun. An impressive roster of names too.

The kids are old enough that I finally thought it was safe to show them “Blink” this morning. I’ve always enjoyed the episode and it still gives me chills at times, but I had forgotten how many nice little touches there are in there that make the story work so well.

People often focus on the mechanics of Moffat’s stories - the clever-clever twisty time-travel stuff - and on his humour, but I think it’s often overlooked how good he is at efficient characterisation; at making you invest in and care about characters with just a few lines.

There’s quite a lot of that in this episode, especially given that the story is almost entirely populated with new one-off characters. It helps that it’s such a good cast, too, with Carey Mulligan anchoring the whole thing brilliantly.

All the plot stuff and humour is good too, of course. I love the way the paradoxical stuff with the DVD messages plays out, and the solution to trapping the angels is nicely elegant.

(Although as my daughter pointed out, seconds after being thrilled by the Tardis-disappearance trap - what happens when that lightbulb goes out?)

We can’t wait to move on to the other Weeping Angels stories anyway - I remember the two-parter with River Song being ok, and we can finally watch the last Amy & Rory story.

Overall, I think “Blink” is probably the first time that the relaunched series showed that it could not only tell great Doctor Who stories, but that it could produce episodes that could compete with the best that TV has to offer. (“Dalek” is almost there I think, but it has a slightly flat CBBC look and feel to it that hurts it a little bit. Maybe “The Girl In The Fireplace” takes it though.)

We’ve talked often about how the series can be frustrating for being so inconsistent - but also how that constant change and not knowing what to expect can be exciting as a viewer - and on balance I think it’s worth it for episodes like “Blink”, “Dalek”, “Heaven Sent”, “The Girl In The Fireplace” and the “Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead” two-parter.

I hope the Thirteenth Doctor gets at least one episode on that level at some point.

We watched the first part this afternoon. It’s ok but nowhere near the same level as “Blink”.

I think that’s partly because it tries to be an Aliens to Blink’s Alien and up the ante with a much larger number of angels which somewhat dilutes the threat of the individuals - in Blink, each one was terrifying in its own right, but not so much here.

It also muddies the simplicity of their appeal by introducing new abilities for the angels that don’t really feel like they fit with how they were introduced originally.

The stuff with River is fun though, and I had forgotten that Ser Jorah was in this one (and is pretty good as the head of the army/church unit).

It has a nice big speech cliffhanger too, although I’ll always remember it for being spoiled on original transmission by a tiny animated Graham Norton (is there any other kind?).

Oh, and it has a cracking Bond-style cold open too. I defy anyone to be able to stop watching after that.

The Weeping Angels are, to me, fairly remarkable in that they are antagonists that were screwed up not by subsequent writers, but by their own creator.

“Blink” is brilliant little tale with genuinely creepy monsters. And they also do this weird thing where their victims aren’t hurt, but seem to go on to live out pretty good lives in the past.

Then, in their next appearance, Moffatt has them snapping necks, possessing people, and actually shows them moving.

And then, a couple of years later, he has them possessing regular statues, up to and including the Statue of Liberty.

I guess that, after their first appearance, Moffatt figured there wasn’t much else he could do with them, so he started giving them all of these new abilities and powers. Which was sort of a cheap way out, and I think Moffatt is an inventive enough writerthat he could come up with stories within the parameters he established for the Angels in “Blink” without pulling a bunvh of stuff out of his ass.

Yeah, we watched part two this morning and it’s even worse for this stuff. The first on-screen movement is an initial shock, but then almost immediately after that you realise how it robs them of their spooky power.

Also, the very few ‘rules’ set by Blink are completely broken here - including them apparently being paralysed even if they just think you’re watching them (?) and crowds of angels all looking at each other without shielding their eyes (the reason they’re called Weeping Angels in the first place). Also, giving them a voice through the dead soldier doesn’t really work for me - they’re scarier when they’re silent and unknowable.

Having said that, the episode does have some other cool stuff to recommend it - Ser Jorah gets a powerful death scene, and I’d forgotten how much stuff there was about Amy’s crack in this episode, which all works pretty well to set up The Big Bang later on.

As a result, we jumped ahead to The Pandorica Opens straight after, and it’s a really great start to the big series finale. It’s a real everything-including-the-kitchen-sink episode but it works to make it feel big and epic. On the whole, I still think series five is the best series of the relaunched show overall.