millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Doctor Who Thread of Space and Time: Discussing New Year's Special "Resolution"

It made me think of going and putting the kettle on and wondering what I might have for dinner.

It just occurred to me that this “Timeless Child” stuff wasn’t brought up at all in the finale.

Something being seeded for further in the future perhaps?

Coming back seriously to this, did it feel odd to anyone else that we didn’t see any reaction from people on Earth as the planet was being targeted? It was unclear whether it was a planet-level crisis or went completely unnoticed on Earth.

I don’t think shots of random crowds pointing and screaming would have added anything to the drama.

I actually think it would. There was no sense of any actual impact on Earth without it.

I liked it again. It was fairly standard as Doctor Who SF episodes go, but that’s a step up from most of the Chibnall written or co-written episodes this year.

“That’s odd, the sky’s gone a funny shade of pink.”

“Hmm. Yes, dear. Hey, who do you want to win Strictly?”

Yeah, that does sound a bit ridiculous when you put it like that.

I mean, who cares about Strictly these days?

I’m just so happy Graham survived the fist bump (oh, and the killer robots and other minor threats). He’s the best. I want to go round to his for a curry and watch Die Hard together.

Between that Die Hard quote and the Pulp Fiction reference a couple of episodes back, I can only conclude that Graham really likes the word Motherfucker.

Grannies too, it seems…

The AV Club’s review of the episode hits a lot of good points about the episode’s highs and lows

That is a good review.

This part rang particularly true for me:

A stronger episode would’ve also dug into the fact that it was the Doctor’s decision to save Tim Shaw’s life in the premiere that lead to this unimaginable level of intergalactic suffering down the line. Here it’s just handwaved away—another place in which the episode feels like a first draft rather than a finished product.

I was delighted when the episode returned to that theme of half-measures leading to unintended consequences, as I had suspected/hoped was being set up in earlier episodes; then hugely disappointed that it went nowhere.

This bugs me.

You know, like every previous Doctor. There’s been quite a few instances of people rewriting history on the Moffat era in order to make Chibnall’s look better by comparison. While at his worst Moffat created overly complicated series arcs and supporting characters who required a diagram to understand, the idea that his Doctors were self-aggrandising grandstanders only looking for hero worship and forced into action by complex temporal paradoxes rather than altruism is, frankly, nonsense of such staggering scale it makes me question the judgement of the person spouting it.

Especially as Moffat himself wrote so many of those beautiful scenes in which the Doctor articulates his mindset of doing good for its own sake so eloquently. I’m thinking particular of Capaldi’s big speech in The Doctor Falls, and also his regeneration scene.

Exactly. And while series 8 was pretty rough going (I’d say the weakest series of New Who except it’s just been usurped) its main point was the Doctor questioning whether his actions count as altruistic and justify his opinion of himself as a good person, a level of thematic introspection that I doubt we’re going to see again for a long while.

Moffat liked writing the Doctor as a bit of a dick.

That’s not going to help many of us remember his era fondly.

His Doctor did lose sight of the individual, did (time) lord it over lesser mortals a bit too much and did need a kick up the ass from time to time.

Capaldi is a terrific actor, but the best things from his era will be (for me) the companions, not the Doctor himself.

As underwhelming as I find some of the new Chibnal era, I like the new Doctor and I like more about her attitude.

I think it’s really interesting what we all take from these eras, because we all focus on such different things.

I remember Moffat-era lines like Matt Smith’s “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met someone who wasn’t important” or Capaldi’s “always try to be nice but never fail to be kind” as real standout moments that encapsulate the Doctor perfectly.

That’s not to discount your opinion, because I think that dickiness you mention was there sometimes - it just didn’t stick in my memory as defining the character during that period.

The Doctor’s personality is often so fluid and inconsistent that you often get these seemingly conflicting ideas rubbing up against one another, and I think we all interpret it differently.

An example that springs to mind. ‘Thin Ice’, near the beginning of the episode a kid falls through the ice and disappears, there’s weird lights and stuff, clearly it’s a mystery and…

Bill is pretty shocked the Doctor isn’t upset by this, he just wants to get on a solve the mystery.

And he doesn’t get why she’s shocked.

Now that episode also includes a racist asshole getting punched, so it definitely has it’s positive character moments too.

In fact, let’s relive that moment!

The Doctor, in the Moffat years, did say some good things, he didn’t always act that way though.