millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Do you pay full price on Comixology?

Or do you use them almost exclusively for the sales they run on certain titles?

Do you think the full price (same as print) charge on Comixology is fair?

What’s the best price for a digital comic? What price makes your buy decision a no brainer?

Should older issues be discounted? How old should they be before the price is cut? And by how much?

I’m interested in understanding how folks use Comixology. It doesn’t seem to have replaced comic stores, but I don’t know if it’s opened a bigger audience than just print readers.

4 Likes
  1. I tend to buy on price drops which is usually a month later. For DC they have stopped that but dropped most of their line a dollar anyway so it works out the same.

2. I think it’s necessary. It’s not really fair as the costs are lower than print but they need to support the LCS.

3. $1.99 for a standard book is a sweet spot for me.

4. I think they have to be really. Digital comics are a lesser product to a degree because they have no resale value (and I’m not talking about speculation but rather dropping a trade or a run on ebay for a few bucks).

5. I buy more than I did getting trades due to convenience and price. I’m not sure if on this board though we’ll get a good indication of the audience opening or not, we’re mostly old timers. Anecdotally it seems certain titles get more of a bounce on that than others, Ms Marvel was one where the editor said they sell more digital issues than print, unlike any other Marvel comic.

4 Likes

i love a good sale on comixology…so rarely pay full price…

There were a couple exceptions, such as Snyder and Capullo’s Batman run…
i do think even on same day release, that new digital titles should be cheaper.
I’d be likely to buy more…otherwise i’ll wait until i can get to my LCS and pick up my pull list.

My small press comics are all on there for 99 cents/69p to try and get people to take a chance on them.

6 Likes

Yes. I’ve shifted most of my comic buying to day-and-date digital except for the Millarworld books.

I still pick up on sales for trades for certain books that I was curious about but didn’t take the initial plunge. Image trades are especially good for this.

I think it’s fair but I don’t think it’s the way forward. I think DC’s upcoming tactic is the right move, $2.99 for digital and $3.99 for paper with digital codes for bi-monthly books.

What’s the best price for a digital comic? What price makes your buy decision a no brainer?
I agree with @garjones that $1.99 is probably the sweet spot. Though I’ve found that time to read is probably my bigger problem at this point.

Should older issues be discounted? How old should they be before the price is cut? And by how much?
I think so. This is a periodical business. I think a month after or when the next issue hits the stands is a good time to drop them and $1 is about the right amount to discount the price.

I’m interested in understanding how folks use Comixology. It doesn’t seem to have replaced comic stores, but I don’t know if it’s opened a bigger audience than just print readers.
I think it has opened some of an audience but tying the price point to the price point of the physical issue for day-and-date has hurt that. I understand why it was done that way as brick and mortar stores are still the bulk of sales.

2 Likes

a) Do you pay full price on Comixology?
Only for some current series I want to support, as I have dropped singles and switched to tpbs mostly, or for some particular issues/series that I want to have available to read on the ipad.

b) Do you use them almost exclusively for the sales they run on certain titles?
I tried to take advantage of sales to build up some back issue catalogues.

c) Do you think the full price (same as print) charge on Comixology is fair?
No, but it is a debate that is still going on with ebooks.

IDW gets extra points from me for allowing to have an offline back-up, be it pdf or cbr. That’s an incentive.

3 Likes

Yes and I would say that the likes of the half price sales are very effective in getting me to try stuff. Especially in a 5th week or any other quiet time I’ve taken a punt on first volumes of Image books because they are $5 so there’s no great loss if you don’t like them. Sometimes I do like them and switch to buying the singles.

1 Like

I think pretty much all the publishers other than Marvel and DC offer that now.

3 Likes

Titan doesn’t, which annoys me a lot :wink:

1 Like

Yes. For stuff that I want to read as soon as it comes out, I very rarely buy physical single issues these days - even for work that I intend to eventually own in hardcopy (collected) form. So I pay full price on the day of release.

Sales I use to either try new things that I’m not sure I’ll like (either impulse buys, or stuff I’ve had my eye on but in which I’m not interested enough to pay full price) or to rebuy old issues/collections that I want to own in some form but don’t necessarily want to give up physical shelf space for. For quite a few series I’ve sold my TPB and replaced it with a digital version when I see the issues come up cheap on Comixology.

Yes, largely from the point of view of fairness towards physical retailers. If Comixology could sell brand new books at a significant discount from the day of release, I think it would be damaging for LCSs.

Honestly it depends on the book. The 99c/69p sales usually feel cheap enough for me to try anything I have an inkling I might fancy, but some of the less steep discounts have been enough to make me try some stuff - most recently there was a Dan Slott sale which had all his Silver Surfer TPBs at around half price, and I bought them all as I’d tried the first one a while back but not enough to buy the rest at full price. But for new books by favourite creators I’m more than happy to pay full price to support their work.

Significantly, when BKV and Marcos Martin were selling Private Eye digitally at a pay-what-you-want price point, I (and a lot of other people) were happy to pay a couple of bucks an issue, even when we didn’t have to. I think there is a willingness from readers to support creators at a reasonable price, even for those readers who love to get a bargain.

Older issues from decades ago don’t tend to work very well for me on digital, so I don’t have any strong feelings one way or another on those kinds of ‘older issues’. A discount on newer releases after a certain period seems reasonable though - maybe enough time to let LCSs have a sporting advantage of equal pricing while the books are still deemed new. Maybe a month or two? And maybe a cut of a third to half the original price? I haven’t really thought about it deeply, but those seem reasonable at first glance.

For me it serves a dual function of letting me have new work immediately (at full price, which I’m happy to pay), and letting me try books I wouldn’t necessarily pay physical prices for. I’ve tried many series through Comixology 99c/69p sales that I would never have touched at two or three quid an issue, and that has to be good for publishers and creators to some extent, as long as it doesn’t create an expectation that all books should be priced at that level from the off. I think publishers would probably rather have a sale at half price (or less) than no sale at all, which is usually where I would fall when it comes to those 99c/69p sales.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, are you reading their new title sold in the same manner, Barrier? I picked up the first issue but still haven’t bothered with the second. I think the wait between the two issues while they did the Walking Dead story killed the momentum (and interest) for me.

1 Like

I paid $2 for Private Eye as that was what I was paying for most of my comics, even though I could have got it for free (and of course they actually make more money as they keep all the profit to themselves, not give 30% to Comixology). I then downloaded the trade for nothing and deleted my individual issue files so I could have it nicely in one or two.

I think that model can work, Radiohead were very happy with it and Martin said he had a good pay day but you have to a big player with a track record.

I lost momentum with Barrier too Ronnie but I think that has everything to do with the release schedule and not the sales method.

2 Likes

Ditto on Barrier, I will likely wait until that is complete to check it out.

1 Like

Do you pay full price on Comixology

I pay full price for everything I’m following in singles, which is mostly DC, and a few Marvel books and a handful of indies that I don’t get in trade.
I’ll try first issues from the likes of Image and Boom digitally as well then if I like them I’ll order the trade.

My buying habits changed when Ivor Davies left Red Hot Comics and I moved to another comic book retailer. I went from picking my books up weekly from my previews orders to getting them 4-6 weeks after release, which was my main reason to start getting stuff digitally.
I miss the pre-order discounts but I like being able to read on week of release when I have the time, it’s more exciting that way.
I now only buy issues that I know I will keep in print, which is mainly stuff by Alan Moore, Grant Morrison or Garth Ennis. Everything else is digital or trade.

I did not originally but I do now, particularly for DC, which work out at £1.99 an issue which it ok with. I think it’s fair to get new releases as soon as they are available, with no need to even leave the house.
I think it works for everyone. If you want the books on release you pay the full whack, if you are happy to hold out for a sale somewhere down the line then you save money. The choice is down to the individual

In an ideal world, £1 an issue. But I understand that’s not going to happen. I think DCs price point is fairest and they get most of my business. If Marvel books are $2.99 I’d probably follow them closer than I do. They’ve got some good stuff but their books are too expensive to follow regularly for someone who is not hugely invested in their characters.

Absolutely. They should be 99c an issue, priced the same as sale books. It’s all mark up, the only sales they lose their are on trades. Generally speaking a year is probably a reasonable time before discounting fully.
Otherwise I’ll just buy them on eBay or not at all. I’ll never pay close to $2.99 for an older issue digitally.

3 Likes

My results are so skewed that I fit no possible demographic.

“Buying” digitally is like paying full pop for a movie ticket. One pays for the experience, as there is zero actual value. Anything happens to the vendor, the internet or the customer’s access, there is quite literally nothing there. It’s an invisible empire.

That said, a price point of $1.99 for a new issue, all extras (yes, all the variant covers, dang it! We’re paying for a peep show!) for a normal issue seems about right. All the way up to $2.99 for at least 48 pages, preferably more around 64. After a year, cut those prices in half. It’s one task, posting a new issue. It’s all profit from there. Some vigorish for storage. Still selling physical copies and IP.

The paramount problem for comics sales has always been that there seems a core population of buyers that remains about the same. Open the market. Let folks in this superhero-rich entertainment culture have cheaper access. Undersell Kardashian emojis, for the love of Spock!

1 Like

What I think is weird is that Amazon almost always has the digital trades at an equal or lesser price than ComiXology, even during special sales. I usually buy from the Amazon store but still use the ComiXology app to read on.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s always worth checking the Kindle price. It can end uo saving you a couple of pounds. It might be the best thing about the Amazon takeover so far, the burgeoning link between comics on Kindle and Comixology.

2 Likes