millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

It depends slightly on how you define normal, but medicine (and human biology generally) makes a distinction between physiology (the normal functioning of body and brain) and pathology (the disordered or diseased functioning of body and brain)

Cancer, dementia, schizophrenia, atherosclerosis, diabetes, narcolepsy - all examples of conditions which arise because there is disordered functioning of, or damage caused to, how our brains and bodies physiologically work and, when you examine those systems you can demonstrate the differences.

(I was looking at some amazing work last week that uses functional MRI imaging techniques to characterise different pathological “fingerprints” of different mental health illnesses and, in a research setting, had phenomenally high sensitivity and specificity in both diagnosing and discriminating between different patterns of disordered brain activity associated with different conditions)

Philosophically you can argue that pathology is still “normal” as it’s all happening to us regardless, but for a conversation like this I would normally correlate physiology with normal function and pathology with abnormal function.

There’s a lot of these cases lately:

And the latest stage of that is in the news this morning: https://twitter.com/rainbownhsbadge/status/1100020007667466242?s=21

For fuck’s sake…

Why did she moved to Macedonia?

As for normality, what is biologically (or naturally) normal can’t be objectively determined. Are cancer, ulcer, brain hemorrhage normal or not? In that regard, is homosexuality normal or abnormal? Nature gave us what it gave us.

It’s in the article, her friend lived there and helped her escape.

It should be difficult really to disregard an asylum claim from the UAE, the suspicion is always that asylum seekers could really be economic migrants pretending but it’s a rich country where the average household income is US$60k, more than the US and most of Europe. She’s not there looking for a handout. Northern Macedonia as I believe it’s now officially called is poor in comparison.

Ah, I read it, but I was puzzled why there, when people usually migrate to the West. And yes, Macedonia is… as other neighboring countries… uh, very poor.

taboo

Proper attire is key!

Put on a funny hat to lighten the mood?

Always.

A really detailed, fascinating, eye-opening piece in the Guardian, taken from a book:

Men are more likely than women to be involved in a car crash, which means they dominate the numbers of those seriously injured in them. But when a woman is involved in a car crash, she is 47% more likely to be seriously injured, and 71% more likely to be moderately injured, even when researchers control for factors such as height, weight, seatbelt usage, and crash intensity. She is also 17% more likely to die. And it’s all to do with how the car is designed – and for whom.

Women tend to sit further forward when driving. This is because we are on average shorter. Our legs need to be closer to reach the pedals, and we need to sit more upright to see clearly over the dashboard. This is not, however, the “standard seating position”, researchers have noted. Women are “out of position” drivers. And our wilful deviation from the norm means that we are at greater risk of internal injury on frontal collisions. The angle of our knees and hips as our shorter legs reach for the pedals also makes our legs more vulnerable. Essentially, we’re doing it all wrong.

And on toilets:

On the face of it, it may seem fair and equitable to accord male and female public toilets the same amount of space – and historically, this is the way it has been done: 50/50 division of floor space has even been formalised in plumbing codes. However, if a male toilet has both cubicles and urinals, the number of people who can relieve themselves at once is far higher per square foot of floor space in the male bathroom than in the female bathroom. Suddenly equal floor space isn’t so equal.

But even if male and female toilets had an equal number of stalls, the issue wouldn’t be resolved, because women take up to 2.3 times as long as men to use the toilet. Women make up the majority of the elderly and disabled, two groups that will tend to need more time in the toilet. Women are also more likely to be accompanied by children, as well as disabled and older people. Then there’s the 20–25% of women of childbearing age who may be on their period at any one time, and therefore need to change a tampon or a sanitary pad.

Actually the toilet one probably goes into more scenarios than necessary. The main thing is that the gents has urinals, so a lot of people can take a piss very quickly. That’s the biggest difference. There are many scenarios where queues for women’s toilets are long like at a nightclub, where the elderly, kids and disabled are not really a significant factor. The former two either won’t want to be there or aren’t allowed.

Womens toilets should be larger because they all use the cubicle and men don’t.

In New York City and New York State, the codes were changed in the last decade to require twice as many toilet fixtures in women’s rooms compared to men’s rooms, in certain occupancies including theaters (film and performing arts), nightclubs and bars, museums and art galleries, places of worship, and indoor and outdoor sporting venues. The state law was known as the Potty Parity Law.

Visiting an office in London yesterday I encountered unisex toilets for the first time. I’ll admit I was momentarily freaked out when I saw the sign, but obviously there was no problem at all in using them, and the idea clearly makes perfect sense. Doesn’t only solve the male/female space problem, it also heads off at the pass any arguments about trans use.

And my toilet here in the house is and always has been “unisex”, so I’m not sure why I would ever think it was a strange notion :smiley: (Honestly, I think it’s just seeing the unaccustomed sign that caused a momentarily negative gut (no puns intended) reaction.)

What’s the toilet setup in your hou -

Never mind

And in a pinch, sinks.