millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

Hmm? Oh. That. Well, you see that wasn’t me, must have been the mob. All I do is rabble rouse but once they’re off the leash it’s nothing to do with me…

This, yes. I’m also refering to people who move to other countries, not necessarily when you go on vacation or for a short period, but even then, people DO appreciate the effort.

You know, I used to think that way like Liam did. I hear the use an animal was abused and/or killed by a psycho, I prayed for days that my life path could cross with his and then to do him, something unspeakable. Like what he did to the poor dog or cat. But I realized I am not really a violent person, and ultimately, what I would accomplish by torturing or killing him would lead to pure emptiness. Not to mention I’d get into a lot of hot water with the law.

You’d probably get away with it. Like I mentioned above, most violent offenders never see much jail even when they are arrested.

Like you say, though, the reason most people are not violent is that they don’t want to be. Not out of fear of punishment.

I think most people have violent thoughts sometimes but they’re usually counterbalanced by the social instinct to conform to a certain standard of civilized behavior. Although obviously there is still violence in society and sometimes a lot of people support it: like in war, certain forms of punishment like the death penalty or torture, or some vigilante behavior.

I think you can broaden the question, from violence to other things that hurt people, other forms of abusive behavior, or other punishments.

“My church isn’t anti-LGBTQ, and to prove it here’s a story about how they supported me during my divorce!”

There’s something wrong with that line of argument, and to prove it ohh look a bagel :heart_eyes:

I watched the bit of Chris Pratt on Colbert and almost all of the comments said it was sad that people were criticizing his Christianity, when literally zero comments were criticizing his Christianity.

The old “pivot to victim” routine, a favorite of the Christian right. I’m going to ignore it as I want to continue liking Chris Pratt, and he’s making it hard enough with his on-screen career choices as it is.

I went through this with a friend who’s evangelical. It’s perfectly normal to reject criticism of yourself or something that you’ve become committed too.

But we had a few conversations and came to an agreement on the difference between criticism and persecution and the importance of looking into the details, from both sides.

One celeb calling out another celeb on TV and then the world getting involved on social media is a shit way of doing anything.

He’s not equating the two.

"It has recently been suggested that i belong to a church which “hates a certain group of people” and in “infamously anti-LGBTQ.” Nothing could be further from the truth. I go to a church that opens their doors to absolutely everyone.
Despite what the Bible says about divorce my church community was there for me every step of the way, never judging, just gracefully accompanying me on my walk. They helped me tremendously offering love and support. It is what I have seen them do for others on countless occasions regardless of sexual orientation, race or gender.
My faith is important to me but no church defines me or my life and I and not a spokesman for any church or any group of people. My values define who I am. We need less hate in this world, not more. I am a man who believes that everyone is entitle to love who they want free from the judgement of their fellow man.
Jesus said “I give you a new command, love one another.” This is what guides me in my life. He is a God of Love, Acceptance, and Forgiveness. Hate has no place in my or this world.

(The emphasis is his, not mine)

Some people pick up other languages easier than others. Some people, I think, are unable to learn a new language, at least past a certain age.

I have always struggled with non-English languages. I took French
in school, and could read and write in it, but when I would hear conversations between native speakers or watch a French language movie, it sounded like gibberish with an occasional word I could recognize mixed in with it.

As it stands now, I only remember about fifteen words, and can count in French, which is about the same I can do with German and Spanish, which I never made an attempt to learn.

On the other hand, I taught myself computer programming in BASIC when I was nine years old.

It makes an enormous difference if you are surrounded by a language though, you pick up vocabulary by osmosis. I also learnt French in school and did very well at it but it’s pretty poor nowadays because I’ve basically never spoken it more than a couple of times since then.

There’s also dealing with the impatience of native speakers. I’ve heard people who only speak English complain about non-native speakers who speak more English than the person complaining speaks of any other language. And depending on your economic situation, learning a new language might not be feasible. A migrant worker working in a field 8-10 hours in a day, five days a week, isn’t likely to have the time, energy, or money to learn a new language quickly.

I just wish the bloody Brits would speak English!

That’s the logic I heard when a child. It annoyed me then, it annoys me now.

When I went to live in Egypt I had to start school in a french school… I didn’t speak french though… anyways, long story short: Yes, you can learn a language VERY quickly when you have no other options.

I don’t think the complainers about learning English are actually mad at fruit pickers on migrant visas, and I’m sure most of them understand it takes some time to learn English.

I think it’s all about retail workers who have to deal with non English speakers, small government types who resent things being in multiple languages and general people who don’t like it when people in public spaces are talking away in a different language.

Beyond that it’s not a great look if you’ve lived in the US for years and made no attempt to learn the language. It shows you’re not interested in integrating with the community, reaching out to others and instead you’ve ghettoized yourself.

I just came across this today. Immigrants who arrived in America after 1995 are assimilating faster than previous generations.

As to language, over half of modern immigrants are proficient in English.

The truth is if you want to become a full time citizen you need to speak English - there’s a test when you go through the process. It’s only greencard holders who can bypass this. Lots of people stay on greencards - the greencard is the family member way of getting in, unmarried siblings and parents.

My buddy who came over the the states with me only became a citizen last year after being here 22 years, getting married, having 4 kids and running his own business for over a decade. I guess he just wasn’t sure if he was settling here or not…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So I take it you just barely squeaked by?