millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

It is not mentioned, but it could be those movies. As Jonathan said, “it’s hard to support colorblind casting” - to quote him.

Colorblind casting and historical accuracy are two separate things though.

You don’t have to make Caesar ethnically Chinese, you can choose to tell a story about a person, real or not, who’s ethnically Chinese.

I think it depends. The history of the war has been whitewashed in many cases. In key battles in Italy to progress further north it was the Nepalese Ghurkas that made the breakthrough after several parties failed. There is little to no recognition of those players in the traditional war films. Many Indians and Africans fought, for practical reasons more in the north African and Pacific campaigns so you’d look in a different light at those.

It’s just with Dunkirk I did do a little digging because of the fuss and while non-white servicemen were there (and are seen in the film in the background) the numbers were very small. For something like Bridge Over the River Kwai I honestly don’t know.

It’s not very accurate at all, and on multiple levels.

Also, keep in mind there were colored soldiers in Italy; Spike Lee made his film - Miracle at St Anna dedicated to them.

Well in BB there’s a lot of asian characters, obviously. In TDK, the mob banker is asian (hence the whole HK side-trip), some of the cops are latinos and blacks and asians, etc… he tends to have a diverse-ish background. But yeah, rather sausage-fests… :smile:

I disagree.

Sorry, I should have clarified that this comment was specifically in reference to the lack of women in those films, not about men of color. I agree that African Americans and other ethnicities are woefully underrepresented in current films about WW II and the Korean conflict. Films about the Vietnam War, Desert Storm, and the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts seem to be more accurate in that regard.

A refreshing change:

Meh… Leggo’s always been the great equalizer… :smile:

I think Rory’s point is that you implied that this had led to Mortensen suddenly being seen as a racist and everything being distorted. While on the other hand, it’s not bigger news, pretty much everybody understood the context he was using the word in, and nobody outside of one twitter user* is accusing Mortensen of racism - so maybe the problem you originally described isn’t actually that big.

*I should probably add that I am sure you can find a handful of other idiots on the internet supporting that view. “Nobody” is a loose description here.

Nice!

Speaking of gendered christmas gifts - I was with my girlfriend’s family on Christmas, and her brother’s children were given… well, the boy (at six years) was given a microscope, and the girl (at four years) was given a doll head thingy to practice hair styling and putting on make-up with. You know, this kind of thing:

But, you know, boys and girls just are different, obviously, it has nothing to do with society :roll_eyes:

Yes that’s pretty much my point. But worded better.

I used to watch some of those shows on the ancient world where they examine these ancient structures and statues. The assumption was that the indigenous people were too “primitive” to do it, and therefore it was aliens a la Stargate, ancient astronauts, etc.

Then I saw this the other day:

Yeah that’s a weird flex, though… most of those were probably the fruit of slave labor… u_u

Also…pick a font!!! :smile:

That’s an interesting take.

I think that Stonehenge is the only ancient European monument, and it’s seldom speculated that aliens built it.

ahem

I actually meant to add “of mysterious origin” to that, but tried to think of something more accurate, as I don’t think the construction of Stonehenge is that big of a mystery, but couldn’t on the fly, so I just left it.

I know the British Isles have a few other prehistoric sites like more henges and Silsbury Hill. And I recall watching a documentary on Newgrange on, I think, the Smithsonian Channel a while back, though I couldn’t recall the name.