millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

Is “negro” considered racist, btw? Or just in poor taste?

Use it in context and we’ll tell you… :wink:

I think there’s merit to the depowering argument, but I think it applies to the concept of reclaiming or flipping words, and has to start with the affected group, not the group (however removed generationally) associated with creating and using the slur in the first place.

Yeah, it just doesn’t work if a bunch of white guys started using racial slurs out of nowhere… unless maybe they flipped it and randomly called only other white people all sorts of names that originally referred to other racial and ethnic groups. And if everybody used it as a compliment, too. Just really smash all meaning out of it.

I will just say this… Some black people have tried to use the word commonly to claim it as it were but in reality, it only makes it worse.

The word never did lose its sting even after all these centuries…

End.

Doesn’t that go back to the point Mortensen talked about? The words have power because the society is still racially unfair and the legacy of racist behavior is still woven deep into the culture. People don’t openly use racial slurs anymore, but that hasn’t done anything to improve the underlying behavior. Nothing’s improved because people say “N-word,” now, and these superficial indicators of social awareness actually indicate deeper silent problems that give the words their emotional impact.

It’s generally considered offensive now, though it was acceptable a few decades ago (at least through part of the 1970s).

Though it’s now been replaced by “African American” in polite society, like how “Asian” is now used to describe people of Asian origin instead of “Oriental.”

You can never depower a slur word, no mater how hard you try and how much you use it, in the right context it’ll still hit like no other word can.

There’s also many many n words these days. All of them have to fall out of use in all but the most familiar situations.

Okay so it’s considered racist then… I ask because as you all might know the word in spanish for black is negro, so I reckon that must be a landmine for any spanish speaking person in the US… =/

The only saving grace is it’s not pronouced exactly the same… but still…

This is where context comes in again, I’m sure if you are speaking Spanish then a new set of rules apply to a degree.

There’s also local context, Europeans of colour can’t use ‘African American’ and in this part of the world nobody cares if you call them ‘oriental’. That’s because there isn’t a history of it being used in a negative fashion.

Yeah sure, context… but these days the whole context thing isn’t making much of a difference whenever someone feels like getting offended… u_u

It is always a shame when the intention behind what someone is saying becomes obscured by their choice of words. I’m reminded of the Benedict Cumberbatch incident in which his call for greater opportunities for non-white actors was drowned out by his clumsy choice of language.

In the end I think the most important thing is the meaning behind what is being said, rather than any specific word itself.

That said, there are terms that are so historically loaded with negative connotations that I would always avoid using them (unless I needed to quote someone directly or something like that).

The difficulty is when we get degrees of offensiveness of certain terms, and when these change depending on context or location. It can make it feel like the landscape is shifting under you and can make it difficult to judge what is acceptable.

But while the instinct can be to push back against that - to assert your right to use the language you choose and to insist that your intention was benign - I also think it’s our responsibility to listen to others, to take on board the idea that other people can find certain words inherently offensive, and if necessary to modify our behaviour based on that.

It happened to me recently: I mentioned to a friend at work that after a solid afternoon stuck at my desk for endless meetings and calls that I was left “feeling like a vegetable”. I saw them recoil a little bit, so I asked if they were upset by that choice of term, and tried to explain that I hadn’t meant it as an insult to people in a vegetative state, just that I felt inanimate and unable to do anything except sit in one place and perform only basic functions. But having realised that it was more offensive than I thought (and having asked the opinion of a couple of other friends to confirm that), I resolved not to use it again.

It can be embarrassing to cause offence where it isn’t intended. But it’s a learning process, and I find that people are usually pretty understanding if you explain that you were unwittingly causing offence and you’re willing to learn from it.

Then, if you count it as now, which is how much - 50-60 years. Not certainly in times of slavery and KKK (where it was definitely rascist). I understood the movie Green Book is placed in around that time. Now, only gangsters liberately use between themselves. And I agree with Jonathan; it is used to refer to someone who is black (aka ni**er). The more important is context.

Btw, now that someone asked on negro: I ask can Negroid be considered rascist?

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or just dumb.

I don’t think this stuff is rocket science is it?

When people refer to ‘The West’ and ‘Western Culture’ it’s because we all have a lot of culture in common. There’s plenty of regional variation, but the media (social or otherwise) connects us as never before.

So take a look at what the general media are doing and you’ll probably be in tune with the times.

The old concept of Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid racial taxons have almost completely fallen out of favor with scientists. I think that the term “Negroid” might still have some limited use within the field of forensic anthropology as a clinical descriptive term, but all other fields have discredited those concepts.

Why? It’s legitimate question. I understand that people find negro or nigger offensive, but Negroid is of entirely different breed. And we wouldn’t talk about it, if it wasn’t used in deep past for such derogatory and mocking purposes on black people. But I found on quora someone asking the same thing (the first response is disputable at least)
https://www.quora.com/Do-African-Americans-consider-the-term-“negroid”-racist

So you avoid using the word for several posts then just drop it in here (after several posts conflating “black people” and “gangsters”)? All right.

Is it matter? I already said what matters is the context. You don’t have to nit-picking. Would it made difference if I used it then?