millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

They come in handy when you’re unable to read (driving, commuting, doing the dishes).

That’s when I listen to music. :smirk:

Fair enough. We have it in our blood as a species to attack others and tell them to do what we want them to. I’m not saying the danger of a neo nazi takeover isn’t there, but I don’t think it will happen. If you look at the political landscape in the US or Western Europe, openly nazi groups have very few members. How many nazis showed up in Charlottesville, a couple of hundred? Weirdly the number doesn’t appear in the wiki article.

Back in the noughties I remember there being nazi marches in the Netherlands and basically they were treated like a circus, with people coming to laugh at the freaks.

Yeah, it seems like we should be making original characters who fit the times rather than relying on characters who were made from the past.

Sadly the concept of original characters seemed to stop in the early 90’s when existing properties became brands like Coke that you wanted to keep going forever. Strangling new ideas along the way like they’re runts of the litter. Aided by a nostalgic generation encouraging their kids to play with their toys (in fairness to this snarkiness I recently introduced Finn to Hulk and Thor. Hulk is really a fun character for a 3 year old).

I’m really rooting for Amazon and Netflix to usher in a new generation of properties, but both are shit at merchandise. Disney seems to now own pretty much every franchise, so we’ve got to root for whoever can take them down. Mind you, they’re not very good at making new brands either. It seemed easy a piss in the 80’s, but incredibly hard these days.

Or freshening up a lot of diverse characters that were created in the 90’s, but sadly remained D-listers…

I mean, I always liked Cardiac for exemple, a black man, a doctor and with a bad-ass suit… Sure he was used sparringly, and maybe you might not like his 90’s suit… but there’s a lot in there conceptually to make a pretty good, non-steretypical minority SH.

This is Cardiac, for those who don’t know…

he even got a more modern re-design apparently:

And yet they’re still there.

We’ve been laughing at Nazis for decades. They’re still there.

Laughing at Nazis doesn’t make them go away, it doesn’t make them change their minds. It makes us feel better, but that’s all it does.

It’s a comfort blanket, not a course of action.

Right now, the amount of public support is still small, though it’s bigger than it was a few years ago. How much is still underground?

All ideas start small, some grow, some don’t, most ebb and flow, depending on the conditions. Nazism has proved in the past to be capable of attracting millions of direct supporters and millions more collaborators, plus further millions who kept out of the way through fear or complacency.

Extreme ideologies are a weed. They can be kept in check, or they can over run your garden when you stop weeding.

Where does that dismissing to the margins come from though? It’s from European societies deciding that no, this will not stand. It’s not surprising as the last time Nazism was around the continent was destroyed and millions died, that tends to leave an impression.

But, one of Gillen’s main aims with Uber was to remind people of how scary the Nazis actually were. In this respect that book deserves a much bigger audience than it has. Gillen’s critique that the Nazis have become comfortable supervillains and targets of mockery is bang on target.

The other element of what is forgotten about the Nazis is that they started from those margins, they took advantage of a society being reasonable towards them and then slowly, over years, warped that society to their view, not the other way around. The popular tendency in perception of Nazism is to jump to the end - death camps and Hitler raving in the bunker, not the start because that’s far more disturbing.

Steve’s point about being vigilant on this is spot on, but the last 10 years have seen some very disturbing politics. The way Cameron went after the weakest in society, after making campaign slogans that he wouldn’t, was vicious and it was egged on by a large swath of the populace, who were either duped or quite happy for large numbers of others to suffer so long as it wasn’t them.

Interestingly the module we studied in history class in school was that period. It ended in 1934 when they were fully in power and looked at the rise from the Weimar Republic onwards. We didn’t actually study the war itself which I’m rather glad about because you get all that from hundreds of movies, books and documentaries on TV.

(Had to edit that as I originally wrote 1943 in error when it was 1934)

Same here. The view taken was that was nothing inevitable about either the collapse of the Weimar Republic nor the rise of the Nazis.

I should add though that that popular perception point is more with regard to online discussion, as the question has come up as to when can the term Nazi be justifiably invoked. Not surprising given the current climate, but it’s interesting seeing the responses that come up to it.

Nazi was a word that got over-used for years, to the point where it dropped right out of most discussions even about the extreme ends of politics.

Not so now.

Because now we have people who are the real thing, out in the open, trying to rebrand themselves as Alt Right.

Fuck them. They’re Nazis.

Or put another way:

Uh…why?

Can you pinpoint any alt right personality who you deem to be a nazi? I think the term is pretty vague and I certainly don’t think everyone that gets lumped in with the alt right has the kind of racist nationalistic mindset the nazis had.

Richard Spencer

Yeah he’s a nazi.

He’s the one who coined Alt Right and created its branding.

Aha I didn’t know it was him who coined the term. Yeah he’s a bad guy. Still I don’t think a lot of people sympathize with his message.

Except the guys marching with the burning torches and swaztikas.