millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

That’s anal sex gone mad.
I am so tired of these liberals forcing anal sex on me.
We need to put a stop to all of this anal sex in the workplace.
President Trump is standing with Middle America to oppose anal sex in all of its forms.
Today’s young women are so obsessed with anal sex that it’s a big turn off.

Yeah, it works.

@markabnett

And is packin’ a pair of automatics.

panda joke approved

So:

First Man, from Universal and DreamWorks among others, opened to about $16.5 million in ticket sales at the domestic box office. That’s $4.5 million short of expectations that were pegged at around $21 million. At the Venice Film Festival in late August, Gosling, who is Canadian, spoke about 100 words in defending the flag-planting omission. “I don’t think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero,” he said: “From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite the opposite. And we wanted the film to reflect Neil.”

As a UK resident, I can’t speak for Americans, but will people in the USA be avoiding the film because of this?

And if so, how many?

It was definitely a conspicuous absence that you can’t help but notice, just because the moment is so iconic, but it’s pretty clear within the first 10 minutes that it’s just not that kind of movie. It’s not “patriotic” at all, it doesn’t lionize him at all, and it is probably a better and more interesting movie for it. The movie avoids the usual beats of the chest-beating biopic and skims over a lot to tell the story it wants to tell, which is a story about grief—about a couple that lost a child to cancer, and how they persevere through that and how it pushes them to accomplish great things.

So those expecting the usual biopic with the flag-planting and applause will no doubt be a bit disappointed. As to why the movie underperformed, I think a large part of it is because they called it “First Man” and not “Neil Armstrong.”

Also, last year at this time we were having the exact same conversations about Blade Runner 2049…maybe Ryan Gosling just isn’t that big of a star or that appealing a leading man?

I don’t know, La La Land was a huge success, so it’s not like he actively drags films down. But maybe he’s not the kind of actor who can actively bring an audience to a movie, just someone who can do well in a role without having that star quality that really affects takings either way.

I don’t think he’s a big star, but he has appeal.

I also think he’s good casting as his best known role before this was the very underplayed and taciturn protagonist of ‘Drive’, and Armstrong was famously a man who used few words, but used them well.

Oh he was very good casting, I’m just not sure his name on the marquee will bring them in.

I dunno why this is on this thread, but here’s another reason: maybe people ain’t all that interested in yet another Neil Armstrong movie? I know I’m not… u_u

Have there been that many?

None that I can think of. There’s From the Earth to the Moon, but it’s a TV series and he’s only a small part of it.

hum… you might be right… and yet I feel I’ve seen plenty enough about that whole thing… I mean, it’s a well known story and historical event, so it’s not too surprising.

Space movies are usually hits. It’s a big surprise this did badly. I don’t think it looked kinda boring, which might have been the problem. It looked like a cable movie.

I still dig The Right Stuff - and it is a pretty high bar. I agree, the PR for First man is shoddy and uninteresting at best. It’s hopefully like Hidden Figures - sounds a bit dull but really gripping and interesting when watching.

I think Stewart Lee makes some very pertinent points where the political correctness thing is concerned.

The placing of the flag on the moon was an awkard moment as the telescoping rod that the flag was to hang from didn’t work properly, and Armstrong and Aldrin could only jam it an inch or two into the ground. They were nervous that it’d fall over before they could get a photo.

I’m all for verismilitude but that might not be the best image to have at the end of your movie about the most intrepid adventure in human history.

The obvious way to end the movie is to have the flag violently stabbed into the lunar soil, and then fade out as the astronauts air hump the flag as they chant “You-Ess-A! You-Ess-A!”

Maybe that would have satisfied the super-patriots.

I will wait to see film before I form an opinion.

Armstrong was an American and while I can appreciate the sentiment on the plaque;

I am sure he was a patriotic citizen of the USA too. Despite the internet fuss, I doubt that’s ignored.