millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

Mixed race people usually say they have to identify as ‘black’ because that’s how society will view them (see Barack Obama) and it makes this kind of casting way more complex than say Scarlet Johansson as an Asian.

There’s an element of ‘can’t win’ I think for the mixed race actor, where they can’t represent either side of their heritage without taking criticism.

Which is exactly why this could be an interesting casting choice… if they make a point of touching on these subjects as well…

But hey… at this point, I’m expecting an article tomorrow about how there shouldn’t even be a movie about John Henry 'cause (according to legend) he was very proud of his work as a slave and that’s glorifying slavery and that bad and son on…

We started the roll-out of these in our children’s hospital yesterday

… and the day started with the Secretary of State for Health prominently wearing one of the badges across multiple TV and public appearances, which was an added bonus

Have you gotten any interest from anyone in the States or Canada to emulate this? Such a great idea!

Interesting article… seems to support what a lot of us feel…

Interesting - when I saw this:

Whites are ever so slightly less likely than average to believe that political correctness is a problem in the country: 79 percent of them share this sentiment. Instead, it is Asians (82 percent), Hispanics (87 percent), and American Indians (88 percent) who are most likely to oppose political correctness.

I immediately assumed that they were going to be the less educated, less affluent share of their ethnic groups - that was right:

If age and race do not predict support for political correctness, what does? Income and education.

With the exception of the small tribe of devoted conservatives, progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country.

Which in itself is a result of intergenerational discrimination and resulting disadvantage.

One obvious question is what people mean by “political correctness.” In the extended interviews and focus groups, participants made clear that they were concerned about their day-to-day ability to express themselves: They worry that a lack of familiarity with a topic, or an unthinking word choice, could lead to serious social sanctions for them.

Which is an exaggeration - “social sanctions” come on the heels of someone invalidating the response to their unthinking word choice and/or unwillingness to apologise.

It’s true that this is a problem -

a particular intellectual milieu to which I also belong: politically engaged, highly educated, left-leaning Americans—the kinds of people, in other words, who are in charge of universities, edit the nation’s most important newspapers and magazines, and advise Democratic political candidates on their campaigns.

Is the solution to appoint dummies to university boards?

The study should also make progressives more self-critical about the way in which speech norms serve as a marker of social distinction. I don’t doubt the sincerity of the affluent and highly educated people who call others out if they use “problematic” terms or perpetrate an act of “cultural appropriation.” But what the vast majority of Americans seem to see—at least according to the research conducted for “Hidden Tribes”—is not so much genuine concern for social justice as the preening display of cultural superiority.

For the millions upon millions of Americans of all ages and all races who do not follow politics with rapt attention, and who are much more worried about paying their rent than about debating the prom dress worn by a teenager in Utah, contemporary callout culture merely looks like an excuse to mock the values or ignorance of others.

People are afraid of looking stupid, and they’re afraid because they see people say something from genuine ignorance and get piled on as a result.

That’s the social sanction they’re talking about and it’s real.

No. The solution is to engage with the people you want to win over.

If lack of education is the problem then education is the solution and that’s not going to happen by just pointing out when people make a mistake that comes from their lack of education. Especially if you believe that lack of education is systemic and that they didn’t create it by being lazy or a dummy.

In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real, when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

This is fascinating. Amazon didn’t know they had a hiring bias against women until they created an HR A.I. that used past hiring practices as its learning baseline.

That is because Amazon’s computer models were trained to vet applicants by observing patterns in resumes submitted to the company over a 10-year period. Most came from men, a reflection of male dominance across the tech industry.

Yeah but I mean, look at the numbers:

[quote]
If age and race do not predict support for political correctness, what does? Income and education.

While 83 percent of respondents who make less than $50,000 dislike political correctness, just 70 percent of those who make more than $100,000 are skeptical about it. And while 87 percent who have never attended college think that political correctness has grown to be a problem, only 66 percent of those with a postgraduate degree share that sentiment.[/quote]

The difference isn’t all that big, we’re still talking about at least 2/3’s despite wealth or education.

Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.”

But since the survey question did not define political correctness for respondents, we cannot be sure what, exactly, the 80 percent of Americans who regard it as a problem have in mind.

It’s worth remembering that as a term, “Political Correctness” is already a negative (as it was created, as far as the mainstream discussion goes, by the GOP to fight efforts to challenge racist and sexist speech). So if you ask about that, it’ll be seen as a problem because that’s intrinsic to the definition of the term.

I would assume that if you asked people if they were in favour of other people saying racist or sexist things, or slapping women on their backside, they would say they weren’t, and that they were in favour of challenging such behaviour.

I do agree with what Steve says, though. The issue of political correctness being perceived as a display of cultural superiority is a real one, and it shows how the gap has grown between people who are politically active in these issues and the majority of people to whom this discussion has become more and more confusing and unrelatable. It is vastly important these days to engage differing views and not sneer at them.

There’s also the element to which it can be distorted y the media seeking outrage. There was a huge fuss the other day when it was reported in headlines that Manchester University had banned clapping and replaced it with ‘jazz hands’ as clapping could upset people and offend the deaf.

Then a little paragraph appears a few days later with a correction that shows the whole thing was just a promotion for the use of British Sign Language which I doubt anyone would really object to.

I like to think of myself as politically incorrect person. (yes, I earn less than fifty thousands and nearly at finishing my high school). Because I tend to be riled up when someone says to me: “hey, maybe you shouldn’t say that … maybe someone will be offended by”, someone like anyone. In my mindset if I’d ever worry about what I said or wrote, I’ll probably never would speak or write anything (including this this)

I can understand that if it’s being said by someone on behalf of an imagined other, but if the person themself - say, a colleague or family friend or someone on this board - said it, would you still dismiss it and get riled up?

Neil Gaiman drops the mic on “political correctness”

One reason I immediately loved The Hobbit was that Bilbo got himself out of some very hairy (and scaly) situations simply by having good manners.

I usually replace political corrctness by anal sex.

Political correctness encompasses a bigger scope than how Gaiman defines it. It’s much bigger than name calling.