millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

In a parliamentary system, there’s generally a number of seats per constituency, and each party nominates one or more people to run in each one. And generally anyone who can put forward the registration fees (and/or get a number of signatures on a petition) can run as an independent. They’re then voted on by the people.

My wife says “crowns” and it drives me batty.

A random Internet thing I love is the “Please Call Stella…” thing, which is a great way to demonstrate regional accents.

(You get people to read the following text in their natural speaking voices:

)

(What’s also interesting about the sample text is that it also betrays a regional chauvinism towards grammar :grin:)

100%. The whole point of the thing I posted wasn’t that these girls couldn’t understand the accent, it was that they were bullying the boy becase he was from a lower class than them (which his accent was one marker of).

That’s exactly what I was going to say after reading it aloud to myself :smiley:

Then this would emerge from a bias in the party and their nomination process generally. On one end, more men go into party politics, possibly, and on the other end the party tends to push men into races more than women.

It’s still there, it’s certainly not as entrenched as in the past when they wouldn’t allow regional accents on the TV and radio.

There’s also probably a big element of teenage kids just being shits and focusing on any difference to target, we had a kid in our school called Calvin who despite being a Welsh speaker like all of us had a rather posh English inflected voice and he got bullied for that. Ginger kids got it, fat kids, effeminate kids, pretty much any reason available.

The problem is clearly kids.

Stop having kids and it’ll all be fine.

Accent is maybe a bigger divider than race in the UK. In NI and Scotland religion is still probably the biggest divider, but accent isn’t far behind. In an instant it puts you in a tribe and you’re judged by preconceptions attritubted to that tribe.

I’m not quite so sure. I think in the wider scheme of things it is far less an element than in England. Nobody much questioned the class of John Cole with his heavy Ulster accent on the BBC, or do now with Huw Edwards, he’s deemed the best royal commentator despite a very heavy west Wales accent. The Celts get a degree of a pass in many cases.

There are exceptions I agree (your Rab C Nesbitt style Glaswegian) but none would face the challenge of say Adele with her Essex lilt or the BBC business expert who’s a Geordie and apparently stirs up shock because of that for no apparent reason.

Most Americans just hear a “British accent” whether the person is from England, Ireland, or Scotland.

From watching a lot of British tv, I can sort tell that there are different accents, but I don’t really have the geographical and cultural context to place them. Other than the Ninth Doctor having a Northern accent.

But it seems like folks from the UK can pinpoint the exact block you grew up in by the accent.

Most Americans think they hear an Australian accent.

In the US some accents don’t do you any favors, in the UK it’s like that times 10.

For reference, I’m Canadian born, Vancouver B.C.

I’m not sure I agree with the word “most”, but not going to argue either.
But when alcohol is involved and the beginnings of a slur are added to the accent, do not ask any one of those three if they are Australian. Or one of the other two. Or sometimes anything.

When I was young (early 70’s) I can remember my dad (Scottish - EdinBurgh(shire)) watching On The Buses.
Quite the variety to say the least. Anytime things like that are brought up among UK co-workers I can piece together certain things.
But they do talk about “sides of the street” and north/south of (whatever) being completely different.

I’ve seen that happen with others, and someone I worked with for a bit (who was also born here) worked with my dad previously (small world) and told me he knew the town where my dad was born was the same town as his parents.

I figure my dad’s accent is watered down (left Scotland in late teens, then Australia, short stints in New Zealand, New Guinea (others?) and finally Canada mid - 60’s).
But to this day he could never say “the palms of my hand
Me palms” (‘pams’ to my ears).

Hosting a slumber party tonight and just came out of a room in which five American 11-year-olds are trying to guess what Mr. Bean’s voice sounds like. It was actually quite fun.

Did any of them get close?

Your ear grows familiar when you’re surrounded by it. For example with American accents I can tell Noo Yawk, Southern, a Californian drawl and the rest is just ‘standard American’. While Robert will discuss the accuracy of Boston accents because he can hear what I can’t.

When I moved to SE Asia I’d have no clue where anyone came from, now I can tell instantly if someone is from Malaysia or the Philippines or Thailand just by the exposure, it’s quite obvious when you know what to listen for.

I can’t tell various British north eastern accents apart but @davidm probably can, where I’m from in Wales I can get you down to a particular town based on little bits of slang or vowel tones. That variation does seem a little unique to the UK or at least not universal, when I asked my wife if she tell if a Malaysian is from Johor in the south or Penang in the north she says she can’t.

(A shorthand to tell northern English from southern is listen to the sound the letter ‘U’ makes. In the north it is always sounded like in ‘pudding’ and not ‘hugging’. So ‘duck’ rhymes with ‘book’. You’ll hear that with Ecclestone and Whittaker and not with Smith or Tennant).

Unless you’re in Liverpool. :slight_smile:

I can’t imagine how painful for Americans to understand is when you watch Kes (1969). That accent sounds like true mumbling. And to me, as non-English speaker probably would be killing to be around Yorkshire. On the other hand, I understand way better American English, than true English. Or Scottish English.

Don’t get me started!