millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Diversity in Modern Society

don%20and%20melania

Ah, come on. She was working in the White House as legal staff, as were many, many other people, most of which were presumably not white supremacist. And she made a sign that everybody but a few nerds know as the OK sign. Or maybe she was scratching her arm, who the hell knows or cares.

This is a distraction, and one of the kind that make the people on the left who go on about it look like conspiracy theorists. Focusing on supposed cryptic sign messages by otherwise pretty unremarkable and inconspicious people only serves to distract from the important issues.

She worked directly under Miller on immigration policy. Regardless, it’s possible to comment on “distractions” while also engaging with everything else.

This week I have been seeing Joe Quesada work very hard to have a reasoned debate with Comicsgate members, being very careful in what he says as a corporate guy would.

Then John ‘I don’t give a fuck about anything other than cats’ Layman came in with this beauty of a thread. It’s very funny in all its abusive glory. Click on it to follow the full thing.

I always knew John Layman was a creative writer, but his combination of adjectives and nouns to describe Nassir are… INSPIRATIONAL!!

Oh, that is an epic takedown.

Layman never fails to crack me up.

Ann Coulter has apparently become an incel supporter.

Not a fan, but this is just cheap bullshit polluting a really important argument at a really important moment in US legal and political history.

Moderating Layman was always a fun game :slight_smile:

How can anyone “like” this article? If the headline is true, it’s awful.

Clicking “like” could just indicate that the clicker is happy that this article has been posted for other people’s awareness. It does not necessarily mean the clicker is happy about the prevalence of sexual assault in the military.

I sometimes click “like” on the Obituaries thread because the poster has made me aware of the death of a person who impacted my life in some way; I usually follow it up with a comment about the deceased person on that same thread. The “like” does not mean I’m happy that Aretha Franklin is dead.

Touché.

The headline is true. 6 bases experienced over 500 rapes in a single year:

Fort Hood, Fort Bragg, Fort Lewis, Fort Campbell, Fort Bliss, and Camp Lejeune.

Following its release, The Invisible War was heralded for exposing a culture of widespread sexual harassment and sexual assault at Marine Barracks Washington.[8][9][10] In March 2012, eight women, including two who appeared in the film, filed suit against military leaders for maintaining an environment that tolerates rapists while silencing survivors.[11]

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta viewed the film on April 14, 2012.[12][13] On April 16, 2012, Secretary Panetta issued a directive ordering all sexual assault cases to be handled by senior officers at the rank of colonel or higher, which effectively ended the practice of commanders adjudicating these cases from within their own units.[14] In his 2014 memoir Worthy Fights, Panetta states that watching The Invisible War was one of the main factors that influenced him to take action on the issue of sexual assault in the military.[15]

On June 25, 2012, the Marine Corps unveiled a new plan to combat sexual assault. Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos met with all non-deployed Marine generals to review the new procedures, which seek to discourage unsafe environments while increasing reporting.[16][17] In November 2012 Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark Welsh met with all active wing commanders to screen the film and discuss the problem of rape in the military.[18] The film’s distributor estimates that 235,000 service members viewed The Invisible War in 2012.[18]

On January 4, 2013, President Barack Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013. This law included many improvements to the military’s handling of sexual assault cases, such as barring individuals with felony sex abuse convictions from receiving enlistment waivers, forming special victims units to investigate and prosecute sexual assault cases, and installing new policies to prevent professional retaliation against assault survivors.[19][20]

According to The New York Times, the film “has been credited with both persuading more women to come forward to report abuse and with forcing the military to deal more openly with the problem.”[21] The Times also notes that the film helped spur the House Armed Services Committee to hold a January 23, 2013 hearing on sexual assault in the military.[22] During the hearing, Rep. Mike Turner acknowledged the film for illustrating the hostility faced by many survivors who speak up or seek help.[23] The Invisible War was again discussed during a Senate subcommittee hearing on March 13, 2013 in which lawmakers and military officials described the film’s impact on military training programs dealing with sexual assault.[24]

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand credits The Invisible War with inspiring her to create legislation to reduce sexual assault in the military. In her 2014 memoir Off the Sidelines, Gillibrand writes, “Nothing in my life…prepared me for what I saw in that film… Whatever it took, I had to help bring justice to these survivors, and I needed to work to prevent future crimes.”[25] In November 2013, Gillibrand introduced the Military Justice Improvement Act, which would require military sexual assault cases to be handled be an independent judiciary body.[26] In March 2014 the bill failed to secure enough votes to break a filibuster.[27]

Ironically, it wasn’t just conservatives who opposed the bill.

Conservative Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky backed her effort, but as NPR’s Liz Halloran reported last month, it faced opposition from powerful fellow Democrats, including Sen. Claire McCaskill and Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. Carl Levin, as well as the president [Obama] himself.

Gillibrand is a controversial figure with supporters and opponents from both conservative and liberal positions. I can’t help but think that the main criticisms she faces would not be made if she were a man.

Kirsten Gillibrand was on The Daily Show recently talking about this. The conversation focuses on the way prosecution is handled, which I thought was very interesting.

It’s quite astonishing that the reforms they propose there are meeting any resistance at all, they’re so plainly common sense.

A sweet story

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/September/25/Olympic-Ice-Hockey-Champion-Meghan-Duggan-Marries-Longtime-Canadian-Rival-Gillian-Apps