millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Digital Comics

Years back I lent a workmate some Criminal issues, she considered letting her nephew read them, as he liked crime stories then reconsidered after reading one of them!

That’s just a load of horsecock.

EDIT: One thing I like on Jodorowsky is the more graphic aspects don’t tend to feel thrown in for the hell of it, like the writer’s a sniggering teenager.

I finally finished Metal with the recent Comixology DC sale. It carried on in the same vein to be honest - quite a few crazy-cool moments, but what little story there was holding it all together felt very disjointed and incoherent.

I didn’t feel motivated to check out any of the tie-ins, but maybe they shed a bit more light on things.

Is the ComiXology site doing weird shit for anyone else today?

New Valiant Humble Bundle

Lots of stuff I haven’t read there, but it’d be worth it for the Quantum and Woody Deluxe edition alone

These were both ComiXology sale purchases and have been sitting in my virtual to-read pile for a little bit.

Green Lantern: Earth One Vol. 1 - This was an interesting take on DC’s resident space police. The book takes place at some unspecified time in the future. Hal Jordan is a space miner who stubbles upon a ship with a ring and power battery. The Green Lanterns of this universe are much different though. They’ve been defeated by the Manhunters and the ones who are left or who have inherited rings are in hiding. Hal feels much different here too. It was an enjoyable read but not something I am likely to continue with.

Eagles of Rome Vol. 1 - This story had some interesting elements and the art was great but ultimately not for me. The way these volumes are presented which I assume is in their original BD format always feel like they end in an odd spot and are therefore unfinished even for that volume.

The Mighty Thor #13-19 - I read The Mighty Thor in singles through issue #12. I ended up dropping the book because it seemed to be marking time with only a couple good issues per arc. This arc was no different. I’m a huge fan of the Shi’ar because of their inclusion in the very first issue of Uncanny X-Men that I ever picked up. So I thought this would be a fun read. Instead, most of the time is spent mostly with boorish Shi’ar deities instead of the Imperial Guard or other fun character of the Shi’ar people. The last two issues rectified this and were pretty good because of it. I just wish we could have gotten there sooner. Richard Dautermann’s are was also incredible as usual. I can’t say that I’m sad that I dropped this book. I have the next trade, The War Thor, in my Unread digital pile but it might take a while for me to get up the interest to finish it.

Spent some time on flying recently. So I had a chance to catch up on some reading.

Black Widow, Vol. 1: SHIELD’s Most Wanted - This the first volume of Waid and Samnee’s run on Black Widow. I picked up the first when it first hit the stands and always meant to circle back around to the trade. I really enjoyed it. Waid set up a properly intriguing plot full of spy craft and Natasha’s background. Samnee’s art always seems so effortlessly perfect. Would love to see him on a Millarworld book one day. The book ends on what very much feels like the half way point of the story. I’ll definitely be picking up the second half at some point.

Scales & Scoundrels, Vol. 1: Into the Dragon’s Maw - I was looking for something with a bit of a fun Dungeons & Dragons adventure vibe and this book really delivered. It had everything you could want with a group of misfits all with their own agendas and a bit of mystery on a dungeon crawl. The art was fun and loose with a lot of vibrant color. This was a very satisfying volume that ends on a literal cliffhanger. I’ll definitely be reading more of this book and highly recommend it if you have a D&D itch that needs scratched.

I read the first issue of Scales and Scoundrels when it came out and meant to go back to it but completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder Ronnie!

You’re welcome. It was a lot of fun and like I said exactly what I was looking for.

Decent DC Events Comixology sale wraps up in a few days:

I snapped up the Paul Dini / Eduardo Risso “Dark night: A True Batman Story” for 66% off. There’s the Knightfall collections for $6 each instead of $20 too.

Nice! Have you read it before?

If not you are in for a treat.

No, it’s new to me but I recall hearing good things, and I’m a huge fan of Risso art.

You’re going to be in for quite a ride.

There’s a Marvel Max sales on at Comixology, good because Mr Disney won’t allow them dirty books on to Marvel Unlimited.

Anyway included there is Fury: My War Gone By which I’d recommend to get at a bargain $4 or so per volume. It has my recommendation and I’ll quote my full review below:

‘It’s fucking brilliant’

Other good stuff there too.

I checked out the first three issues of The Magic Order in the Image sale as they were only 75p each. I like it and Coipel’s art is amazing, but I did feel as though I was maybe missing a little something in the setup of the world and its characters. (I know Netflix did a lot of promo stuff around the launch so maybe I missed a primer or prologue story or something like that.)

But it’s still a fun ride, in that it throws you immediately into a fairly straightforward but high-stakes story and you can pick up the basic information you need on the way. Plus the magic stuff allows for some great visual ideas and use of panel transitions to show magic changes happening.

Batman #23 - This is Tom King and Mitch Gerards Batman and Swamp Thing team up story, The Brave and the Mold. It received great reviews here and I like the team. So I stuck it in my ComiXology Wish List waiting for a sale like the one a week or so ago. The love for this issue is definitely deserved. It’s essentially a done-in-one and really plays up the awkwardness of the team up. I also love that Swamp Thing’s absentee father essentially looks like Alan Moore. If you like this team (either the creative one or the characters), I highly recommend giving this issue a shot.

New Humble Bundle is political manuals and commentary

A few good/interesting comics in there

New Humble Bundle of IDW comics based on 80s franchises, plus reprints of the old Transformers and GI Joe comics