Comics Creators

Digital Comics

Agreed. Action Comics #775 is still one of my favorite single issue stories of all time.

Goddamnit. I bought a load of the Dan Slott trades in the Comixology sale last weekend. Only to find nearly all of them cheaper in the Amazon Kindle sale today. I could have saved myself few quid.

To commiserate I went and bought another 6 trades (for £10).

New Humble Bundle is an Image Expo tie-in, lots of cool stuff in there.

and Spawn

I’m not sure when I’ll be fully on board with the digital comics. I did order the a handful of Warren era Vampis from Comixology just so I could get a taste of the format but was disappointed they weren’t downloadable to save. Since I have to work with audile music streams to review new material, I’m willing to try, and even reviewed a couple of digital comics as part of other writing assignments, but I’m just not “there” yet, being fossil-minded as I am, lol. Meanwhile, the boxes of hard copy back issues continue to mount in the office, lol…

The spacing in the Comixology app just made me think there was a really weirdly titled new Batman book out.

Marvel has a ‘Legacy’ sale on Comixology at the moment, so I picked up the Legacy one-shot. It’s ok for what it is - I’ve never been a big fan of these extended-trailer type of comics, but some of the vignettes were decent, like the prehistoric group of heroes.

I also picked up Captain America #695 and #696 (only those two issues were in the sale). It’s another great book for Waid and Samnee, telling fairly straightforward and traditional stories in both issues but bringing them to life with some really effective visual techniques and clever scripting (of the kind that feels deceptively simple). Although I think colourist Matthew Wilson might be the unsung hero of the book, judging by these two issues: there’s a lovely sense of shade and texture to the colours here that really helps to shape the book’s identity.

Not sure who else has Comixology Unlimited but they just put a load of recent Valiant trades, pretty impressive how many are there now. And the Hellboy/BPRD library is getting bigger, too.

The entire collection of Heavy Metal appears to be available for free download. I have no idea of the legitemacy of this, but here’s the link for anyone that wants to look into it:

Huge Marvel collections sale on at Comixology. 99c per tpb.

At that price I may even pick up Secret Empire!