millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Digital Comics

Seemingly. Seemingly. To the untrained eye…

Todd’s and then Danny Miki’s inks (both very heavy handed) make it hard, but Capullo’s work is so much more technically better that it becomes pretty clear pretty quickly. As in, the lighting makes sense, the perspective is correct, and the anatomy is sound.

For what it’s worth, I’d still recommend the short Capullo run on X-Force via Marvel Unlimited. It’s relatively early Nicieza picking up where Liefeld’s plots left off (it’s fairly messy “making it up as I go along” stuff) but it is entertaining and the characterisation is consistent.

We’re talking 1992-93 X-books so of course it’s heavy on action and there are diversions into two line-wide crossovers (X-cutioner’s Song and Fatal Attractions) - Capullo shines throughout and you can see a marked difference between his first and final issues.

I think you might be overstating it a little bit. The more I look, the more I think it’s the inks that make the biggest difference to the look of the art in these issues, rather than whether it’s McFarlane or Capullo’s pencils underneath.

For example, this is the first page of issue #23, and I think you could easily mistake it for a McFarlane page. The perspective and lighting in that first panel both take just as many liberties as McFarlane tended to (look at the angles of those walls, and the shadows on Spawn!). I’m not saying it’s bad - I like McFarlane’s work, as everyone knows - just that it’s not that different to McFarlane.

There’s less in the way of scratchy detail and overly-fussy linework compared to McFarlane, but again I think that’s more down to the inking than anything.

There’s still definitely a marked difference compared to the earlier 100%-McFarlane issues though.

I’ve Googled the images since. I have no desire to read any Nicieza books, I’m sure he’s a nice fella but I’ve never a read anything of his I liked.

Oh dear.

Fair enough.

I really liked Capullo’s early X-Force stuff too. The Assault on Graymalkin story was a lot of fun. I picked up the trade at C2E2 last year and got it signed by Capullo. It’s been setting on my shelf to read for a while waiting for the right mood to strike.

The “closed fist, open hand” speech from that story to Professor X following X-Cutioner’s Song is one of my favorites. It was X-Men comics at its purest. See below.

My first X-book - X-Force #19. I know it well.

It’s one of my favorite single issues.

New Humble comics bundle is Michael Turner/Aspen comics stuff

I just went all in, but the shipping on that Harley Quinn comic is too much for me to pay (around 25 pounds to the UK).
If anybody wants the discount code, just PM me. It says it can only be redeemed by the first 1,000 people so be quick.

Edit:
The code is a discount for this so that the item costs zero and you’re only charged for shipping costs.
http://www.aspenstore.com/FREE-Harley-Quinn-1-Pink-Humble-Bundle-Variant--Details-Below_p_2683.html

It was a slow week this week for new comics. So I dipped into some of my recent Image purchases.

Extremity #1 - This book has a lot of the things that makes Space-Mullet so cool. The art especially the character and machine design make it feel like an authentic sci-fi world. The characters also feel spot on with real motivations that will pull at your heart strings. This book seems to be a bit more dour than Space-Mullet which can pull back and laugh at itself sometimes. Johnson acknowledges as much himself in the afterword. As such, I’m not sure it’s something that is my cup of tea going forward. I may give it another peak once a trade hits.

Spawn 12 & 13 - Wow. This was a great walk back in time. The juxtaposition of Liefeld and McFarlane’s Image characters hearkened back to one of my favorite Marvel crossovers between the same creators, Spider-Man and X-Force: Sabotage. I forgot how dense these issues of Spawn were. There is Dark Knight Returns levels of dialog and exposition in these issues. I assume McFarlane was taking a lot of cues from that work even incorporating the talking head news reporters to further the exposition. Todd’s art is amazing as always. Like with the aforementioned Marvel crossover, it’s always nice to see him stretch a bit and draw someone else’s characters. I’m really glad I took this little nostalgia jaunt but probably glad I kept it contained as I’m sure issues upon issue like @Jim’s epic 200 count read-through of the series would have become tedious quickly.

I wonder after reading comics from previous eras if they were just built for different purposes. I think there used to be more pressure on single issue comics to tell a satisfying chunk of story and somehow also be able to stand alone like the oft repeated Jim Shooter charge. It seems that at some point in the 90’s we evolved into each issue mostly being one part of a story that is meant to be collected in trade. I don’t think there is a problem with either approach but do think it makes them read a bit differently. The newer style can be more frustrating month to month especially if there are delays but is great read as a whole. The older style seems more satisfying month to month but can be a slog to read more than a couple issues in a row. I don’t think one is better or worse. I do think they were mostly responses to changes in expectations in the market. It makes me interested to see what the next evolution in this storytelling form will be.

I’m glad that I finally got around to checking my emails last night because the oft-mentioned 70% Image discount code for Comixology actually expires today.
I bought: the final three volumes of Fatale; all of the East of West trades that have been released so far (I think there are six); RunLoveKill, A Red Mass For Mars; and Transhuman.
It’s a bit of a Hickman kick, but after sorta unfairly dismissing his work in the past, I feel that my enjoyment of the Black Monday Murders means I should take another look.
The first issue of A Red Mass For Mars was one of the first comics I ever read on Comixology, actually. I remember liking it a lot, so it’s a bit of a shock to find that I haven’t finished it some four or five years later.

I thought I’d added Secret to the cart as well, but I guess it hadn’t registered for whatever reason. Re-reading the first issue, I’m not sure it’s worth paying full price for the trade. Has anyone read it already?

Well, now with Comixology having an Image 65% off sale (by using the imaginatively named promo code: image65) I went back and grabbed Secret without feeling too guilty.
Managed to read all of A Red Mass For Mars too, which I did enjoy. I love how grand and epic the story feels, even if it does rely on archetypes, I feel like it’s done so that the book can better get its points across in a shorter page count.

Wow, Image is really wanting to sell some comics.

I imagine they’ve seen a great response in casual purchases from their recent discounts and sales.

The danger I guess is that they tip their regular full-price buyers into waiting for sales instead. But I imagine the benefits far outweigh the potential drawbacks. There may well be lots of people getting hooked on these discount books who then follow on to buying them at full price on release.

I notice that next week’s Saga is going to be a 25c issue (on Comixology as well as physical), which I imagine will do well for them, getting people on board for the new arc.

Ya. That one is part of their celebration of Image’s 25th anniversary.

Amazon are showing very low prices - ~$2-5 - for loads of Marvel collections at the moment. Could be a glitch, but it’s working. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=marvel

Great! I’ve been waiting on a cheap digital price for the second Vision trade for a while.

Thanks Paul.

It’s been there a little while, I was looking at their sales charts for comics this time yesterday and it was filled with those cheap Marvel Kindle books.

Well thanks for letting us know about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried to convey it via the medium of interpretive dance. You must have missed the message.

(Honestly I didn’t take that much notice because I’m on Marvel Unlimited, any other publisher and I’d have got more excited and remembered to share).