millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Digital Comics

Hmm no Image voucher for me. I wonder what I did or didn’t do? Is it just Comixology USA?

Nope, Dave is in the UK and I am in Malaysia.

Have you checked spam folders?

Are you subscribed to the promotional emails? I wasn’t, and didn’t get it.

Ah, that was it. Thanks.

Don’t forget. He came back for #21-24 (which actually came out before #19 & 20 for some odd reason) before leaving interiors almost completely in Capullo’s hands. Speaking of which, I didn’t follow the book regularly and it’s been forever since I’ve read much of it but did they retcon Spawn’s face split from Batman? In the preview pages of #21 reference something in issue #19 and 20 as the source of the “bozo in black” instead of the Spawn/Batman book.

From Spawn #21:

From the end of Spawn/Batman:

It’s obviously a reference to that encounter. It’s almost the same image. The first likely looks better than the second as it’s taken directly from ComiXology.

Alpha King #1 - This book appears to be a bit of a take on the person in the real world gets pulled into a fantasy realm where they manifest previously unknown powers in order to achieve their goal and get back to the real world type story. KInda like a more adult version of the D&D cartoon. There are a ton of references to the 3 Floyds brewery with several characters (including the title character) being named after their beers. Simon Bisley’s art really works for this giving it a Conan/ Heavy Metal/ Lobo kind of feel. This issue was a nice introduction to what seems like will be a fun romp of a story. It also helps that 3 Floyds is currently my favorite brewery. I will pick up the trade or the remaining issues once they go on sale again.

Yeah, they retcon it to be from an injury Spawn sustains while in a fight with the mafia stopping the nuke from going off in that weird storyline with the magician that makes up that delayed two-parter. It’s as bad as it sounds.

The delay to that storyline was precisely because McFarlane was working on the Batman crossover, I believe.

Thanks for the explanation. It’s weird that McFarlane would purposefully do something to keep Batman/Spawn in continuity and then do something to explain away that connection.

But the art on that one was done by Capullo who had also filled in for #16-18 (with Grant Morrison writing) to allow for the Batman crossover.

Oh, maybe I got mixed up then.

This blog gives this explanation:

[QUOTE]Spawn #19 might be the next chronological issue, but it was released after issues #21-#24 were already published. McFarlane skipped issues #19 and #20 and went straight to #21 after finishing the Spawn/Batman crossover. He only offered a vague explanation in issue #21, but the rumor at the time was that Diamond changed their policy on late books, leading McFarlane to cancel all orders on the already late #19 and #20 in order to avoid making them returnable. I was tempted to review the comics in the order they were released, but it seemed unnecessarily confusing. The actual release order goes Spawn #1-#18, #21-#24, #19, #25, #20, then #26.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wonder if it was done with an eye to the long-term book market, so that Spawn could be read through as a series and would make sense without readers having to read a crossover tie-in.

I know from other multi-publisher crossovers that reprint rights can be tricky, so the Batman story wouldn’t be likely to appear in Spawn trades. The story with the magician plugs the gap.

On a similar note, it was a very long time before #10 (the Cerebus issue) could be reprinted. It looks like it’s still not in some of the collected editions available on ComiXology. I seem to remember some vague reference to it in following issues but not enough to leave anything dangling.

Yeah, I think in #11 Spawn mentions a dream about a talking aardvark. :slight_smile:

In the recent deluxe edition HCs (in which #10 is reprinted), there’s a whole page of text by Sim explaining why it wasn’t included in previous editions. In short it’s suggested that there was a misunderstanding and McFarlane thought it was a one-time thing, but I wasn’t completely convinced.

I can snap a picture and upload it if you’re interested.

That would be cool to read.

Here you go. It’s long and in small print so you’ll have to embiggen it to make it legible.

I used to think that too, but as Capullo revealed in a podcast a few years back he was responsible for the pencils in those issues. Todd was worried that the book’s sales would tank without his name in the penciller credit box so wanted to ease it in (with Capullo’s agreement). There might have been some Todd layouts and he (Todd) did the inks, but the bulk of the pencil work was Greg. Once they saw the high sales numbers for issues #16-18 their fears were allayed.

The “bozo in black” reference was to allow for either story to be responsible. The vertical facial wound makes far less sense with the Houdini story as Spawn is shot with a bullet in the face.

The co-writer of that 2 issue story is a bit of a mystery - no other writing credits for Andrew Grossberg (Tom Orzechowski already well known as a Marvel and then Spawn letterer). How did that come about? Moore, Miller, Sim, Gaiman, Morrison… Grossberg?!

Yup I heard that podcast too. Fatman on Batman I believe where he was interviewed by Kevin Smith. I don’t think he goes into specific issue numbers but he says he did issues that were credited to Todd because they were worried otherwise they’d lose readers.

I’d add for those that didn’t hear it that he wasn’t in the slightest bit resentful about it or moaning, considering at the time McFarlane was throwing around cash to get Moore/Miller etc onboard he was probably very well compensated.

I wonder if McFarlane did finishes (instead of just inks) because it looks more McFarlane than Capullo.

Also, I think Capullo is much more of a journeyman artist than a fan. He doesn’t seem to get as caught up in some things as a lot of creators.

[quote=“Andrew, post:1101, topic:86, full:true”]

I used to think that too, but as Capullo revealed in a podcast a few years back he was responsible for the pencils in those issues. Todd was worried that the book’s sales would tank without his name in the penciller credit box so wanted to ease it in (with Capullo’s agreement). There might have been some Todd layouts and he did the inks, but the bulk of the pencil work was Greg.[/quote]

[quote=“garjones, post:1102, topic:86, full:true”]
Yup I heard that podcast too. Fatman on Batman I believe where he was interviewed by Kevin Smith. I don’t think he goes into specific issue numbers but he says he did issues that were credited to Todd because they were worried otherwise they’d lose readers.[/quote]
I went back and flicked through those later issues this morning in the second HC (which still credits them to McFarlane), and it makes a lot of sense. There’s a marked difference between them and the earlier McFarlane issues.

It’s quite possible looking at them that the layouts were done by McFarlane, and maybe the inking too, but the drawing style and level of detail is quite a break from the other ‘true’ McFarlane issues.

Capullo was pretty good on the book though, I really liked his art for the story he did with Morrison.

He definitely stuck to the Spawn ‘house style’ closely.

Could very well be on some pages.

I’d love more artists to share the workload in that way (this was a more common thing back then; not really the done thing now) - some are far better at the finer details than page design, while others vice-versa.

Oh yeah, he was great from the X-Force days; way ahead of the other post-Image Marvel head-liners. More than just solid even on a technical level.

I mean, there’s the big capes and whatnot, but it’s a lot sleeker and more precise than McFarlane’s work.

The original issues give “special thanks” to Greg Capullo for 22-24.

Having just flicked through them I’m gonna say 21 is pretty much all Todd, #22-24 are Capullo.

He did stick to McFarlane’s style a lot. Even when credited it isn’t that different.

I think it’s why it was a surprise to many when he started on Batman and showed what he could do that was unique to him. I read pretty much all his run on Spawn (missed his previous X-Force stuff) and wasn’t particularly enthusiastic, I was proven very wrong and he’s a big fave now.