millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Television Thread

Plus Ed is one of the best dramedies ever made, so yeah, faaar from the CWs SH/teen shows…

I guess his YouTube series was not a success. Too bad, it looked interesting.

I’m over halfway through the Crisis on Earth X crossover and the overriding thought is that this should be so much more fun than it is.

The material is all there for them to get this right, but the writing is so mediocre, predictable and derivative of all the wrong things that it all just feels like such a waste.

I’m so up and down on the CW stuff. I really want to enjoy it but at times that it grates so much, especially with it having run for so many year now.

I wasn’t overly impressed with it, either. It was the one sore spot in Flash’s fourth season, how the wedding was shoehorned in the middle of some other story. That was just wrong.

Chris, let me tell ya…CW will break your hearts.

Remembers iZombie Season 1

Just catching up on Legends and watched the Punk one.
It was fun and silly but I was shocked to see that they’re using Jamie Delano’s Constantine :open_mouth:

I was not expecting the trip to Liverpool!

Here are the official synopses for all three episodes of “Elseworlds.”

THE FLASH

“Elseworlds, Part 1” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

EPIC ELSEWORLDS CROSSOVER KICKS OFF TONIGHT — When Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and Oliver Queen (guest star Stephen Amell) wake up one morning and realize they have swapped bodies with each other, the two set off to find out what disturbed the timeline to cause such a shift. However, things quickly go from bad to worse when they present their case to Team Flash and the gang doesn’t believe them. Barry and Oliver realize they need Supergirl’s (guest star Melissa Benoist) help and travel to Smallville on Earth-38 where they end up meeting Kara’s cousin, Clark Kent (guest star Tyler Hoechlin), and intrepid reporter, Lois Lane (guest star Elizabeth Tulloch). LaMonica Garrett guest stars as The Monitor. Kevin Tancharoen directed the episode written by Eric Wallace & Sam Chalsen (#509). Original airdate 12/9/2018.

ARROW

“Elseworlds, Part 2” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

THE ELSEWORLDS CROSSOVER CONTINUES IN GOTHAM CITY WITH BATWOMAN (RUBY ROSE) — With Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Barry (guest star Grant Gustin) still stuck in the other’s bodies, the two get a lead on John Deegan (guest star Jeremy Davies) and head to Gotham City with Supergirl (guest star Melissa Benoist) to figure out why their reality has changed. While there, they meet the mysterious Kate Kane (guest star Ruby Rose) who provides them with information that leads the group to Arkham Asylum. James Bamford directed the episode with teleplay by Marc Guggenheim and story by Caroline Dries (#709). Original airdate 12/10/2018.

SUPERGIRL

“Elseworlds, Part 3” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

THE BATTLE CONCLUDES — Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), The Flash (guest star Grant Gustin), Green Arrow (guest star Stephen Amell) and Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin) engage in the battle of their lives. Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Marc Guggenheim and teleplay by Derek Simon & Robert Rovner (#409). Original airdate 12/11/2018.

I don’t watch the CW DC shows but that sounds so lame.

Here we have two totally different opinions. I’m quite excited by ElseWorlds and entertained by the shows. It’s like getting five issues a week of comics. Some are good and some are meh, Where’s your sense of fun?

Yeah, I don’t think the shows are particularly good TV, but they entertain me. I get why people complain about them, but I have stupid fun with them.

Yeah, I get that. I got out of the CW shows ages ago, but I do approve of these series crossing over in a general kind of way - Elseworlds crossovers are a comics tradition, after all.

My big disappointment is that they don’t seem to be leaning into the elseworld concept. A body swap is pretty boring when we could have had pirate flash and 1920s green arrow.

I just keep thinking “production costs” and “time to finish effects” and am pleased with what they are able to do with minimalism. I just let my mind take it to what it could be with a Game of Thrones budget - but, with that, comes all the delays and off-camera drama and such. I feel I’m rather picky, but the CW has done a darned good and consistent job so far. And also slavering over the last season of Gotham. I’ve invested, now it’s time for the payoffs!

I can’t wait either.
Gotham is really fun. And it finding it stride is majorly why I fell out of the CW shows. Because it succeeds at being brash, raw, and unabashedly comic-y.

The CW shows have a very Silver Age feel to them, like more modern storytelling is lightened up some, things will come out right, and so forth. Even terrible acting like Katie Sackoff fits some Silver Age issues, like when Superman got an ant’s head.

Again Miqque, we’ll have to agree to disagree.
I feel like they’re too weighed down on incredibly modern melodrama and “CW” natured stuff to feel anything like a throwback or retro.

Fortunately there’s Titans which is a lot more to my tastes… unsurprisingly, I’ve seen people comparing it to BvS… u_u