millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

:neutral_face:

Ohhh kayyy then.

Has the Hickman rumour completely died now?

So, I was thinking about this as I was posting and I started to wonder if there ever was a rumour or if this was just wishful thinking on my behalf.

I remember posting on here at the time of the rebirth announcement that it made real sense that Hickman would be doing LoS, because of his sudden delays on Secret Wars and his general quieting down. He’s obviously writing a few books at Image but not at the same rate and they are a bit under the radar, almost as if he’s been distracted by something else.

So I put 2 & 2 together in my head and creating this scenario where he has post its all over his wall mapping out this epic LoS run for a massive DC announcement, now I’m not convinced - unless it’s going to be double shipped and he needs to get a dozen or so issues in the bag first.

Thing is King has been totally hinting at LoS, even on the 11 o’clock podcast he was professing his love for LoS.

Interesting to find out, but although I love his work I’ll be disappointed if it’s King and not Johns or Hickman.
Hickman would obviously be the mindblowing, industry buzzing choice.

One thing to note with Hickman was in Word Balloon interviews he was clearly burnt out from his Avengers/Secret Wars stuff from Marvel. It really meant 4 books a month and a huge amount of co-ordinating, he needed to cut down the workload as he felt some of his work suffered in quality as a result.

His quiet period right now, reading between the lines from then, is very likely him taking a bit of a rest for a while.

He’s also got Frontier where he’s doing everything too.

Justice League #36 - 50

I’m not the biggest Geoff Johns fan in the world. I find his writing generally quite bland, and overly reliant on fanboy pleasing moments at the expense of real substance. But, I admit it, this was a pretty fantastic run of issues.

“The Amazo Virus” was a great little starter, with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman taking centre stage dealing with the latest of Luthor’s machinations.

.#40 was sort of a proto- DC: Rebirth. A really strong look at the history of the DCU, and how the constant reboots were having a destabilising effect. I don’t believe that Rebirth was a thing at the time this was published, but it’s amazing how fluidly one runs into the other. It’s almost like they always had a plan :wink:

“The Darkseid War” was an amazing blockbuster epic, in the fashion of Johns’ Sinestro Corps War. I had managed, somehow, to avoid all spoilers for this, and so I was hit by one big moment after another (especially binge reading all 10 parts the way I did). It could probably have done being an issue or two shorter, as there were a couple of subplots that felt superfluous; but I loved the focus on Wonder Woman, and the Hal Jordan/ Batman dynamic (still not sold on the three Jokers thing, but we’ll see how that pans out elsewhere, I guess).

Jason Fabok drew all but 3 issues of this run, and his artwork was phenomenal throughout. He’s got a great aesthetic style, and is also a fantastic storyteller. I hadn’t noticed beforehand, but his work has a lot of Phil Jiminez and Gary Frank in it - two other artists whose work I adore.

I don’t know what Jason’s working on next, but hopefully he’s lined up to work on Johns’ big DCU vs. Watchmen epic for 2018. I think that would be a perfect fit for him, and a great thematic sequel to this run.

I talked to him once during that period and he was actually doing 7 issues a month for a while.

He’s moved on and he’s writing a pilot, which could potentially be far more lucrative, so while I’m sure he’s still writing comics, I don’t think you’ll ever again see that output, now that other options have opened up for him (A la Brubaker, Fraction, DeConnick)

That said, I’m still betting money on him doing a book for DC. Not necessarily Legion. I have a feeling he’s going to take some of his Ultimate(s) ideas and bring them over to the Wildstorm relaunch.

WildCATS, for instance, is coming, and it’s def going to have Jim Lee involved (because that’s Jim’s baby).

It really is, isn’t it?

Funny that you say that, I’m… generally a big supporter of Johns, but JL was his weakest work IMO.

He lost me at Blackest Night. I thought it was atrocious. And Batman Earth One.

Which is a shame, because I loved his runs on The Flash and Justice Society.

I agree. Other than Aquaman, I think I’ve read nearly everything Johns has done - I’m not a fan of his, as I said, but I am a fan of a lot of the artists he gets to work with. His original Wally West Flash run is still my favourite.

I read the first year on Justice League, primarily for Jim Lee’s artwork, and it was pretty bad. I didn’t like the look or sound of anything after that, until Fabok came on board.

I remain surprised there’s been so little use of Fabok on the Rebirth books, only heard about an issue of Suicide Squad vs Justice League - has there been anything else?

He’s one of DC’s best artists so it seems weird.

He’s doing The Button in Batman (the Watchmen thingy).

I think he’s doing the two issues of Batman for the Flash crossover.

Cool, I had that on my hitlist but that gives far more reason for it, thanks.

When Johns first broke thru i didn’t like him, but JSA won me over.

I then went back and tried his teen titans and flash and I liked them more second time around; I was a more cynical reader in my late teens and early 20s than I am now.

I’m a massive Johns fan nowadays, his superhero stuff always works for me. Not sure what it is it his style is what I want from superhero books. I’ll buy anything he writes.

So, I had myself quite the time earlier:

Superman: Volume 1: Son of Superman

So one Superman died but another was around to replace? Yep, this is the kind of thing that should have killed this book on take-off, but it doesn’t because Tomasi holds a masterclass in how to get your readers up to speed and to the point where he needs them to be for the story to kick off. That’s what the Rebirth book was aimed at and it succeeded.

The next six issues are a different masterclass in how to start small then go big, but without losing the heart of the story along the way. It starts quiet enough, with Superman now having a kid, who in turn is learning how to use his powers, sometimes inadvertently, like the time he fried the cat. And yes, he was not in a good way after that. A story of superpower practice and mystery injuries leads them to the now dead Superman’s Fortress of Solitude, where the Eradicator turns up and things get more than a little heated.

What follows is Superman giving the Eradicator the benefit of the doubt, who explains it operates on a General Zod created protocols - yep, red flag right there - then tries to “improve” SuperKid. What kicks off from this point to the end of the volume is a four-issue superbrawl for the ages that concludes on the Moon, wrecks a moon-based Batcave, Lois uses Bat-Armour to smack the Eradicator around before Superman and son put it down for good.

It’s hard to saw why this works so very well, except that it really, really does.

It so happens I have Volume 2 on order.

Batman: Volume 1: I Am Gotham

So, this is where Mr King shows me why he’s so good after the misfire of Sheriff of Babylon. It’s quite interesting how King has made Batman avoid being Batcrap, he’s more at ease with how he operates, there’s less of the Bat-darkness here. Similarly it both breaks and upholds convention quite well, first by having a pair of superpowers show up and ask Batman to train them, before they both get sent loopy by Psycho-Pirate, so creating the big fight that was expected at the start.

Finch’s art was good but more important the story gets the balance right between the darker and idealistic aspects of Batman and Gotham.

Detective Comics: Volume 1: Rise of the Batmen

Wow, I enjoyed Tynion IV’s contributions to Batman Eternal but in the couple of years since he’s gotten far, far better. This is a superb example of how to create an ensemble, while throwing a surprise or two into the mix - namely Azrael and Clayface. Yeah, don’t think anyone saw the latter coming.

More impressive is the seven-issue arc that he spins, involving a host of characters, betrayals, crazy action sequences and one hell of a finale that’s going to be very interesting to see the consequences of play out.

Art was a combination of artists with complimentary styles which was very effective.

Batman: Night of the Monster Men

Crossover? Already? Well, OK then. It is fair to say this story has but one purpose: Wrap up the Hugo Strange plot that started running in Batman. In that respect, it succeeds well enough.

In other respects it can’t really match the first volumes of Batman and Detective Comics on either the art or writing elements. What we get is OK, but what was delivered in the other books first trades was superb - so, yes, this comes off as weaker.

I wouldn’t class it as bad, well not at the price I got it for, but it’s no match for its more illustrious predecessors.

Those are his best works IMO.

Too bad he’s not doing the whole thing, just the Batman issues.

I generally support him because there’s no doubt to me that he loves these characters. That’s not to mean he doesn’t have his mistakes (who doesn’t, really?), but overall I’m a pretty big Johns supporter. He works better with continuity though, and I think New 52 took his biggest tool away from him.