millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

Like a big bus

That’s crazy! Howard Porter did the same when his hand was badly injured (before retraining himself on the other hand and coming back)

I’ll try remember the interview - he was reluctant to come back to comics because he enjoys driving the buses more - said its what he always wanted to do since he was a kid - I dunno I found something so refreshing about that (stuck as I am in an industry I don’t like doing a job purely for the paycheque & also it’s do unusual to find someone trying to leave comics for their day job and not the other way round)

I’m still buzzing about Deathstroke today - it was wonderfully nostalgic, the sort of thing I’d have read maybe 15-20 years ago, and I mean that in a positive sense

Aha! But if it’s such a clear bait & switch, then wouldn’t it be super cool if he really was Ozymandias? Eh? Eh?

Damned if they do. Damned if they don’t.

This one is genius:

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2017/03/lt_martian.jpeg?w=630&h=954&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

MARTIAN MANHUNTER/ MARVIN THE MARTIAN SPECIAL #1
Written by STEVE ORLANDO and FRANK BARBERI
Art and cover by AARON LOPRESTI
Martian Manhunter tries to halt Marvin the Martian’s determination for world domination. J’onn is conflicted with his own Martian identity as he attempts to stop the hapless, determined Marvin from blowing Earth to bits in order to gain a clear view of Venus.
On sale JUNE 14 • 48 pg

Batman/Elmer Fudd could be fun too:

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2017/03/lt_fuddbats.jpeg?w=630&h=967&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

BATMAN/ELMER FUDD SPECIAL #1
Written by TOM KING
Art and cover by LEE WEEKS
Cover by LEE WEEKS
After a chance meeting with billionaire Bruce Wayne, multi-millionaire Elmer Fudd’s obsession quickly escalates into stalking Batman through the dark alleys and high-class social settings of Gotham City.
On sale JUNE 28 • 48 pg

Those books look so much fun. DC are on fire right now.

For some reason, Elmer Fudd as a Batman villain kind of works for me (he typed, realizing how ridiculous this all is.) I could see him as kind of a Hillbilly Kraven the Hunter character. Plus, he could provide some writers ample opportunity to mock Trump-voter-types, if that’s the direction they wanted to go in.

…also, maybe Wile E Coyote could make an appearance somewhere at some point? Maybe reference the greatest comic every written, “The Coyote Gospel” from Animal Man?

I’m genuinely surprised at the possibilities, here.

He’s in a different one:

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2017/03/lt_loborr.jpeg?w=630&h=972&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

LOBO/ROAD RUNNER SPECIAL #1
Written by BILL MORRISON
Art and cover by KELLEY JONES
Wile E. Coyote travels to the far reaches of space to hire Lobo to hunt down and kill his greatest nemesis of all time, The Road Runner. When the Coyote and Lobo are after you, the Road Runner realizes if they catch him he’s through.
On sale JUNE 21 • 48 pg

With issue 4 I’m done with doom patrol and the young animal series of books

I don’t know if it’s from reading in single issues, but they just are not working for me, after a promising start

There seems to be a real drive to be quirky and cool for the sake of it, rather than just focus on making good comics, it’s like something produced by a teenager who thinks they are being edgy and challenging
The ‘dangerous comics for dangerous humans’ tag line makes me cringe and Way seems to cribbing from Morrison far too often but I don’t see any end game in sight for any of the weirdness

‘Fugg’ was the last straw, taken directly out of Seaguy

It’ll take some pretty solid reviews of the collections in the trades thread to get me checking them out again - I’ve lost what’s happening in all of them and lost interest along with it, with no desire to read back the issues beforehand again to see if it gels better together

I’m expecting him to be The Eradicator. All the shots of him in shadow, with his glasses being highlighted can’t be a coincidence.

i avoided reading that to not be spoiled for tomorrow’s issue.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/much-does-cost-batman-crimefighting-000025864.html

Anybody else getting deja vu? Feels like there have been articles on this topic before.

Eradicator was in the early issues of Tomasi/Gleason’s Superman; I wouldn’t expect him to show up again. Although it’d be funny if ol’ Hank Henshaw (keeps the “Reign of the Supermen” theme alive!) were the guy.

It’s not often talked about here, but Deathstroke is the best book that DC proper is publishing, for my money.

Rarely do you see a book with such rigorous attention to detail and such intricate, yet inevitable, plotting. Every character in this book is a monster, but they’re all human monsters, and of different sorts, endlessly fascinating, surprisingly sympathetic, but finally brutal.

There are no easy answers, no pat moments or reveals, characters are driven by a hundred competing internal and external forces…

Priest is doing top flight work here, some of the best of his career. The best since Black Panther.

Everyone should be checking this book out. But if you can only pick one, check out the issue he did with Denys Cowan, about gun violence. Too often these become reductionist afterschool specials, but Priest has a hard look for most everyone involved. And even if I disagree with the politics that seems to be the heart of his belief on this (respectability politics), the craft with which he explores the situation is just awe inspiring. One of the great minds of comics.

PS, his Batman two parter was probably the best use of Batman I’ve seen since Morrison was on the book (and completely different).

Turns out “Clark” was actually Mxyzptlk. Also, Supergirl had a Cyborg Superman thing already, in the Rebirth era. Same time as Eradicator. So it was never going to be him.

Favorite Rebirth is King’s Batman. It’s a totally different take, and it feels like the psychology of the character has been cracked open, basically, for the first time ever. It’d be awesome for King to tackle an origin story at some point. From the rest of what I’ve read so far, Priest’s Deathstroke indeed read pretty well when I sampled it. I love Humphries’ Green Lanterns, Williamson’s Flash. I’m always game for Tomasi/Gleason, who were a genius combination on Batman and Robin, and have gotten to reprise the act in Superman. They’ve improved leaps and bounds since their days on Green Lantern Corps.