millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

I do too. I’m sure I’d like the material too (not sure I’ve read much, if any of this). It’s the “Road To Watchmen” branding that is difficult to parse.

Same here, I am interested in the material, but the branding…

Nothing on this front really surprises me any more. They’ve done it before with books that have far less of a direct link to Watchmen.

Those were just like dollar reprints or something, weren’t they? Not full tpb’s. But, yeah, you’re right. There’s precedent here.

Yep, that’s right.

do they have any theme for this? They have 3 original stories, a close to 30 year old story, and background to a crap Event, WTF?

The Walmart ones? those area going to collect only the new material, not the old reprinted stuff.

are the Walmart ones the same as the Penguin Random House Retail?

Penguin is just the retailer, the books are by DC and they will collect the new material published in the Wal-Mart 100-page giants.

That’s kind of weird and unexpected, especially given that so many Black Hammer characters are modelled on DC heroes.

Still, it sounds like that could be a strength as much as a weakness.

April fools?

THE SECRET SPIRAL OF SWAMP KID by acclaimed writer and illustrator Kirk Scroggs tells a lighthearted coming-of-age tale about a half-human/half-plant boy named Russell Weinwright. The book is completely written and drawn in first-person journal entries and features a fun, innovative lined notebook-style format.

DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: AT METROPOLIS HIGH marks the first DC Super Hero Girls (DCSHG) graphic novel by new series writer Amy Wolfram. Wolfram is joined by DCSHG veteran artist Yancey Labat for this original story set in the same universe as the new DC Super Hero Girls animated series created by Lauren Faust that will air Sundays at 4 p.m. ET/PT on Cartoon Network beginning March 17, 2019.

THE SECRET SPIRAL OF SWAMP KID and DCSHG: AT METROPOLIS HIGH will be joined this fall by previously announced DC Zoom titles by Meg Cabot and Cara McGee, Shannon and Dean Hale with Victoria Ying, and Minh Lê and Andie Tong, among others. Books published under the DC Zoom banner target middle grade readers ages 8-12 andtell stories focused on friends, family and growing up.

DC has also confirmed on-sale dates and shared early looks at forthcoming titles from DC Ink —the publisher’s new young adult graphic novel line. DC Ink books feature thought-provoking stories for readers ages 13+ that focus on everyday aspirations, struggles and triumphs. The current DC Ink slate for fall 2019 includes HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS from Mariko Tamaki and Steve Pugh, and Marie Lu’s BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER prose novel adapted in graphic form by Stuart Moore with art by Chris Wildgoose.

DC Zoom (ages 8-12):

DC Ink (ages 13+):

Sounds like it might be somewhat “inspired by” My Favourite Thing Is Monsters.

SX378_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

My-Favorite-Thing-Is-Monstersbanner-1

Yup. Though these YA books often spend years being developed before they’re released, so it could easily be coincidence.

Have you read this yet?

I know it did well in awards but Jason from 11 o clock comics podcast absolutely raves about it to the extent that it put it firmly on my radar

I have not picked it up purely because of my backlog of books means I try not to pick up anything additional to my Previews orders when I can avoid it

It’s in my to-read pile - I’ve had a quick look at it but haven’t given it a proper read.

I’m liking what I see. I didn’t realize that it was originally supposed to be one 100-page graphic novel. I’m intrigued by the larger format. I may need physical issues of this. Also really like some of the design work here.

https://www.newsarama.com/44327-miller-romita-s-superman-year-one-landing-this-june.html

Great, that means the collected version should be OHC too.

From the ratio of those images, it looks like it should be about the same size as Batman: Damned.