millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

I hadn’t heard anything about Superman: Year One having issues. Has something been announced?

Also, Sean Murphy’s next book is coming from DC’s Black Label.

IGN spoke to a DC employee with knowledge of the situation, who said the art in question was an unfinished cover that was never given final editorial approval and was not intended to be made public. How the art leaked is currently being investigated by DC. A new version of that same art drawn by Mann was recolored to change the tone of the image to be more reflective of the contents of the comic and will be used to solicit Heroes in Crisis #7 to retailers in next week’s retailer catalog, although it’s marked as “Not Final Art,” meaning the final cover for that issue may wind up being completely different. You can view both versions of the art below.

I really can’t believe the “not approved” thing for one second.

I honestly think King has a very clear idea of the kind of ideas he wants to get across in this book. I have a feeling that image would have somewhat muddied the waters in his eyes.

Loads of old stuff is being retroactively added to the label too (like All-Star Superman, Year One, Kingdom Come and Ronin) so it would be surprising to see them end the line altogether. Although with the heat over the Batawang I guess anything’s possible.

Ultimately though it’s just a label - albeit one that acts as a statement of intent - and whether ‘Black Label’ in particular sticks around or not, it isn’t going to prevent creators from making great books (under whatever label) if they are given the freedom to do so.

The worry I think is that the controversy will lead to a knee-jerk reaction from DC that makes them clamp down on anything that pushes the boundaries into more controversial or adult territory, whether it’s called ‘Black Label’ or something else.

I find my pull/order list to be 99% DC because many factors and that Marvel these days is a mess imho.
I have to say that readers will go to the better storylines and storytelling, which would explain my migration…

Just saying…

And Watchmen, don’t forget Watchmen too :wink:

Is Watchmen coming out as a Black Label book too? I had forgotten that.

Twice, as a hc and as a tpb:

• All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (Trade Paperback, Dec. 4, 2018)
  • DC: The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke (Trade Paperback, Feb. 19 2019)
  • Watchmen (DC Modern Classics Edition) by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (Hardcover, March 26, 2019)
  • Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross (Trade Paperback, Apr. 23, 2019)
  • Frank Miller’s Ronin by Frank Miller (Trade Paperback, May 6, 2019)
  • Batman: Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli (Trade Paperback, June 11, 2019)
  • All-Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder Vol. 1 by Frank Miller and Jim Lee (Trade Paperback, June 11, 2019)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson (Trade Paperback, June 18, 2019)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller (Trade Paperback, June 18, 2019)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight — The Master Race by Brian Azzarello, Frank Miller and Andy Kubert (Trade Paperback, June 25, 2019)
  • Luthor: 10th Anniversary Edition by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo (Hardcover, July 9, 2019)
  • The Joker: 10th Anniversary Edition by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo (Hardcover, July 9, 2019)
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean (Trade Paperback, Aug. 13, 2019)
  • The Joker by Brian Azzarello: The Deluxe Edition by Brain Azzarello and Lee Bermejo (Hardcover, Sept. 10, 2019)
  • Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland (Trade Paperback, Sept. 17, 2019)
  • Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (Trade Paperback, Sept. 24, 2019)
  • Batman: Year 100 by Paul Pope (Trade Paperback, Oct. 8, 2019)
  • Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar, Dave Johnson, Andrew Robinson, Killian Plunkett and Walden Wong (Trade Paperback, Oct. 22, 2019)
  • Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale (Trade Paperback, Nov. 5, 2019)
  • Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean (Trade Paperback, Nov. 12, 2019)
  • Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale (Trade Paperback, Nov. 26, 2019)
  • Batman: Haunted Night by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale (Trade Paperback, Dec. 17, 2019)
  • Catwoman: When in Rome by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale (Trade Paperback, Dec. 31, 2019)

That’s a lot more than I realised.

I hadn’t taken the Black Label as much as a mature type creative freedom but more of a not necessarily in continuity evergreen line. Hence the reason for retroactively adding so many books from DC’s evergreen catalog.

The Sean Murphy book I was talking about is the new one that’s a sequel to The White Knight. So while that one was added retroactively, this one will be native.

Yep, I had heard about that one. Looking forward to it.

Ultimately I guess my point was that it doesn’t matter so much what exact ‘label’ these books fall under, as that’s a marketing thing more than anything else. What’s important is the editorial attitude underpinning it all, and whether creators are going to be able to tell the stories they want to tell - which I think is definitely linked to the out-of-continuity aspect you mention.

I also think you’re right that they want this to be the line for evergreen, standalone stuff. It makes sense to explicitly highlight that material.

There is never going to be completely unbridled creative freedom on any of these properties. So I think the question I’m trying to ask is, “Is seeing Batman’s cock really necessary to the enjoyment or main thrust of the story?”. My answer on that one is a definite, “No” and Azzarello/Bermejo shouldn’t have been surprised on that one.

You’re right and I don’t necessarily disagree on that specific example - I think the worry is that the reaction to the controversy overcompensates, and DC becomes overly conservative and restrictive on other aspects, not just superhero nudity.

That’s fair. It sounds like the other issue with Heroes in Crisis is absolutely down to King and his intent for the book rather than editorial interference.

Yeah, it reminds me a bit of Rucka raising concerns over the Frank Cho covers for his Wonder Woman run. I guess there are going to be times when artists produce something that doesn’t align with the writer’s vision and risks sending the wrong message.

I was actually going to highlight the exact same instance.

I was just going over Batman: Damned #2 to post my review and there is equally or more fucked up stuff in the second issue as there was in the first.

• The Joker: 10th Anniversary Edition by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo (Hardcover, July 9, 2019)
  • The Joker by Brian Azzarello: The Deluxe Edition by Brain Azzarello and Lee Bermejo (Hardcover, Sept. 10, 2019)

This seems unnecessary.

I imagine they’re making sure it’s available in as many formats as possible with the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie set to come out in October 2019.

(Marvel have always been pretty transparent in the past about timing the releases of certain omnibuses with movie releases. It makes sense to get new collections out when awareness is at a high.)

Ohhhh, I hadn’t heard that that book was going to be this.

re: Heroes in Crisis

While King might well be trying to explore the area of mental health carefully, there’s a danger of that being seen as exploiting it.

I might have issues with his depictions (re: Mister Miracle) but it’s clear King is using it as a vocal medium for his own stuff. Not that I don’t see what you’re saying, and I agree…but those would be eejits.