millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

So, the only way for Marvel to catch up on DC is DC engaging in self-inflicted sabotage?

These are the solicitations:

There’s a new kind of crisis threatening the heroes of the DC Universe, ripped from real-world headlines by C.I.A.-operative-turned-comics-writer Tom King: How does a superhero handle PTSD? Welcome to Sanctuary, an ultra-secret hospital for superheroes who’ve been
traumatized by crime-fighting and cosmic combat. But something goes inexplicably wrong when many patients wind up dead, with two well-known operators as the prime suspects: Harley Quinn and Booster Gold! It’s up to the DC Trinity of Superman, Wonder Woman and
Batman to investigate—but can they get the job done in the face of overwhelming opposition?

Suspected of murder, [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] find themselves on the run from the super-hospital called Sanctuary —with each thinking the other one is the real killer! It’s up to Batman to solve this heinous crime, but suspicion falls on him when Superman and Wonder Woman ponder just how much Sanctuary’s A.I. is telling them. Meanwhile, [REDACTED] tries to make a shady deal to hide from the Trinity, while [REDACTED] searches out an old friend to help him out of this mess—and only gets deeper in trouble.

The Man of Steel versus…Booster Gold?! Superman finds out the hard way that Booster can be a formidable opponent when his back’s against the wall. Of course, being the prime suspect in a superhero massacre and exposing a secret trauma hospital for metahumans will do just that. Meanwhile, Batman and the Flash combine their detective skills to investigate what went awry at Sanctuary and uncover a serious glitch in the system—not to mention an explosive, spoiler-ific secret!

Ah, hadn’t realised the solicits were out, thanks Paul.

They have gone into more detail in some interviews, etc, and they refered as the starting incident as a mass shooting, with a dozen heroes dead.

The Nightwing thing is something separate, spinning of King’s Batman run in Nightwing #50.

Just to mention, so far:

• Poison Ivy is in Sanctuary, after her latest arc in Batman.
  • Booster Gold is also there, after that HORRIBLE arc in Batman.
  • Arsenal is going there too, as shown in the recent Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual.
  • Wally is also there, in the aftermath of Flash War.

Pretty much.

Based on the spoilers I read, Dick will (SPOLIERS AHEAD!)get shot in the head because of a hit put on him by Bane. He’ll live but will forget everything.

This will be his new status quo for the foreseeable future.

Wtf

My point exactly. This is a crazy move on DC’s part. Arguably their entire success, post- Rebirth has been built on a sense of optimism and renewal. In fact, they still have a major maxi series being published concurrent where a central plot point is the juxtaposition of the heroic ideals of the DCU with the cynical deconstructed heroes of a darker time. Taking some of their most beloved characters and irrevocably damaging them is … well … wrong. I don’t care how well thought of Tom King is. Someone should have said “no”.

I am more concerned with some DC staff comparing HiC with Identity Crisis…

You haven’t seen the cover to Nightwing 50, right?

Remember, this is comic books. Everything can, and will, be undone, reverted, and/or reset. :wink:

Or mostly…

Liam Harper, the one true victim of Cry for Justice.

Damn, I forgot Cry of Justice even existed!

And that leads to remembering Rise of Arsenal, the alley, the DEAD CAT…

AND…

A hero driven mad by a cat…

His time has come…

Dogwelder.

from the tweet announcing his departure

I really wish I could have told the story I planned to tell…

for years I hated DC and Didio with a passion(i once asked an artist to draw a sketch of Donna Troy saying Fuck Dan Didio. He refused) because of decisions made involving the Titans and my belief that Didio had it in for them.
then Rebirth happened and I started enjoying DC again to the point where I am picking up 4 DC books this week.
but now because of King and Didio(?) it looks like they are going to destroy the Titans again. I am starting to believe that there is a deep psychological issue between Dan Didio and the Titans. Was he bullied as a child by someone who loved reading Perez and Wolfman’s NTT?
Snyder, Tynion, Lemire and other writers are doing great things at DC and have big plans for their corner of the DC universe( I know. I’ve asked them in person), so I have to hope that this story of King’s will not be as far reaching as they hope but another destruction of the TITANS will be very damaging to my belief in DC.

Until 5 years from now when the big event miniseries reveals that Wally was possessed by Zoomallax (or whatever) and things go back to normal.

Octavius didn’t stay as Spider-Man, Hal Jordan came back, Cap didn’t stay a Hydra Agent, etc. Getting bent out of shape about stuff like this is a waste of energy. I mean, Kyle Rayner is probably my favorite DC character, and I’m pretty sure that he’s slated to get murdered. Sad, but I know he will be back eventually, and absence makes he heart grow fonder. Until then, I intend to enjoy the ride. I like King a lot, so if I get a good story from him, I don’t really care about casualties, especially since I know damn well they’ll be reversed in due time.

understandable, I am not going to drop any DC for now, but I will watch how influential HiC is and act accordingly and wait for that Zoomallax series. The tweet from Percy was disconcerting though. I hate to see writers unable to finish their vision.