millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

It is going to be oversized “prestige format”. I wonder if all the Black Label books will be this size.

I’m in a similar quandary about waiting for the OHC, but these creative teams are so awesome, I’m not sure that I can. Double dipping and eBay seems like the only logical answer.

Apparently not, each book will do its own thing from what I gather.

Yes the statement from DC on Black Label was the length, format etc are all down to what the creative teams want to do.

The imprint will be DC’s home for classy, collectible superhero stories aimed at mature readers looking to be challenged and surprised as they’re entertained, with an eye for the unique and remarkable. In that regard, each DC Black Label series will have a unique format and a release schedule designed to best serve the story and creative vision, with the first of the previously announced DC Black Label titles set to debut later this year

My idea is to create new characters with sponsorship, I have a crime fighting duo in Gotham City called Johnny Walker and his sidekick Carling.

Speaking of Black Label, today I finally put aside a couple of quiet hours to read Batman: White Knight #1-8.

Let me preface this by saying I think Sean Gordon Murphy is my favourite artist working in comics today. Possibly ever. So, going in, I was probably more inclined to like this book than not.

And, you know what? It’s true. But, I really did enjoy this.

It’s a non- continuity epic exploration of Batman, Joker, and … well to say more would probably give away too much of the book’s story. And, the story is a good one. It’s not the greatest thing you’ve ever read; Murphy over writes it in places, and it has a few moments where you think “really?”, but overall it’s a gripping page turner.

The art? The art is magnificent. Murphy’s storytelling is amazing throughout. It’s so clear, so gorgeous to look at, and downright cinematic. Here are the first two pages of the book (my photos don’t do them justice, I’m sure):

And, here’s the scene just before the book’s infamous sex scene. It’s a more convincing date night than shown in many movies:

The book does have a pretty abrupt ending, and leaves a number of dangling plot threads. I think one plot twist near the end doesn’t quite work either. But, hopefully these points can be followed up on in the sequel.

It’s disappointing that the book is only being collected in a regular TPB initially. It really deserves an OHC edition.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this to everyone. But, if you like Batman, and like Murphy more importantly, then this is definitely one to read.

I think you’ve talked me into cancelling my order and waiting for an OHC, just hoping they dont take to long to announce one.

Murphy says an uncensored version is coming next year. That’s the one I’m waiting for. Hopefully it will be a HC.

Having just read it, it’s worth pointing out that there isn’t really a lot that has been “censored”. The aforementioned post- coitus scene (which, really has little to no impact on the story); but there’s very little else obvious. I’d be really surprised if there’s much more than that.

I also realised that I totally forgot to mention Matt Hollingsworth’s colours in my review above. His colour work is fantastic throughout and really adds to the mood of the work.

His work complemented Murphy’s very well in Tokyo Ghost (and I always loved his colours on Maleev’s Daredevil). Good to know he’s keeping up the standard.

Some people need to fucking chill out with their over analysis

Sean Murphy lives near me and we shop at the same LCS. I see him fairly often but I don’t think I’ve ever interacted with him aside from saying “excuse me” when he’s standing in my way.

Which is to say if you ever want something signed let me know. He’s frequently doing signings and drink-ups around here when he’s got something to promote.

Thanks, Robert. That’s awesome of you.

The Solicitations for November 2018 thread

Solicitations for November 2018 (w/ Previews Text)

Tom King comments on the whole “Batman is an atheist” thing:

F$1k buddies?

They prefer the term Friends with Bat-Benefits.

Bat-Benefits sounds like health and dental with an option for life and eye insurance.