millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

I wonder how many of those there actually are, though? I the past I’m sure I’ve jokingly said it’s a point of principle, whereas really I’m not not all that interested in the content.

Is there actually anybody who honestly thinks, "I really, really, want to read Before Watchmen but I can’t because of what they did to poor Alan. Dammit :frowning: "?

I come at it from the opposite angle I think - I’d be interested in it if it did have Moore’s blessing and involvement, but without that the appeal isn’t there.

Lest it be forgotten because Moore tends to hoover up the stroppiness headlines, Gibbons also made it pretty clear on a Word Balloon interview he was not happy with Before Watchmen.

Gibbons is a bit of a different case though as he allowed it to be marketed with an endorsement quote from him, albeit a lukewarm one.

“The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC’s reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire,” said Dave Gibbons, WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist.

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/news/dc-comics-announces-before-watchmen-series

He did but the interview came afterwards and to be honest most was left unsaid and he claimed he’d give his true feelings a few years down the line but it doesn’t take Poirot to figure out that isn’t going to be a ringing endorsement or to sense the pent up frustration. You don’t hold off several years from a launch to ring its praises. He’s just way more diplomatic than Moore who doesn’t give a shit.

Yeah, I struggle to think of many people less diplomatic than him to be honest. :smile:

Obligatory

The Before Watchmen minis were attempts to show more of the world of Watchmen, but without trying to imitate the style of Watchmen. So Minutemen, for example, was clearly a Darwyn Cooke book, etc.

Doomsday Clock… yeah, at this point is a cover band. The art is really gorgeous, but Geoff Johns’ style doesn’t really match with Moore’s. One issue of Watchmen was, for lack of a better word, dense, or layered. The Doomsday Clock ones try to evoke that, but feel decompressed (again, for lack of a better word) in comparison, with not much happening in each issue. That mixed with GJ’s fondness for violent (or long action, thinking of how to describe them) scenes makes for a weird combo.

Fuck off man. Abnett’s run has been excellent. This is really disappointing to find out.

Not only that, Abnett’s run has been epic and building towards a status quo which is ripe for further storytelling, particularly with Mera.

News that DeConnick wants to rip that up is not something that appeals to me, especially reading this stupid comment -

““The approach for Aquaman has always been that he is essentially mixed race, right? He’s half-Atlantean and half-human, so he doesn’t belong in either place, and the idea is [that] each place rejects him for that. But my feeling is that in contemporary society we cannot play the beautiful, literally bulletproof white boy off as facing bias because of his mixed parentage. I think that is disingenuous at best and, I don’t know, cruel at worst”

I’m sure they’ll be a backlash about this ridiculous comment if people find a way to be offended about it.

White men never have to deal with bias eh? And if they do, because they are white and men I’m sure the rest of their lives are so easy that the bias is a breeze. So, man up pretty white boy.

Really shit news but I’ll wait until I hear out more before declaring that it’s time to drop off the book, she’s not selling it to me at the moment anyway, doesn’t sound like she really knows what it is she is going to write about.

He’s mixed species.
Which is really weird. I’m sure if someone came out and said they were half-fish monster everyone would shun them.

Mer-people. It’s said they are half-fish.

Nobody ever says what kind of fish!

Half-tuna? Half-grouper? Half-guppy?

I’m still a bit fishist.

I think this is more in-line with conversations in science fiction studies surrounding the absence of blackness, for example. Rather than having characters that are black, gay, Jewish, (or any other existing oppressed group) the oppression is explored allegorically through aliens, mutants, or monsters as “the Other”. One of the problems with this, aside from diminished possibilities for greater representation of those groups, is that “the Other” often ends up being represented by the more socially acceptable straight, white, males and females. Andre Carrington talks about this in Speculative Blackness and so does Adilifu Nama in Black Space.

With something like the X-Men it’s easier to address because you can diversify the team. It’s trickier when it comes to characters like Aquaman or Superman because, visually, they’re white guys who, as a group, haven’t faced the challenges of assimilation and acceptance that other groups have had to face. Individually, yes, everyone has different experiences, but I don’t think DeConnick is arguing otherwise.

OP = Ocean Pacific?

What else would it stand for?

Optimus Prime?

To me that says that the writer has a fundamental misunderstanding of how science fiction works.