millarworld.tv Comics Creators

DC Comics - The Rebirth is Here

It might be Lucifer’s third series, but I’m really happy to see the Fiumara brothers get a big, high-profile book:

LUCIFER #1
written by DAN WATTERS
art by MAX FIUMARA and SEBASTIAN FIUMARA
cover by GONI MONTES
variant cover by KELLEY JONES
blank variant cover available
Lucifer is missing. Having embarked on a dangerous journey to find the mother of his abandoned son, the Prince of Lies finds himself imprisoned and crippled by mysterious forces who seek to torment him for their own terrible ends. Meanwhile: a car is crashed, two witches blind themselves, a tumor speaks its first words, and a perfectly good bowl of oatmeal is left to go cold.
ON SALE 10.17.18
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES

Well, this’ll be another over-priced Absolute I can see myself giving in on:

ABSOLUTE BATMAN: THE BLACK MIRROR HC
written by SCOTT SNYDER
art by JOCK and FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA
cover by JOCK
Originally published in DETECTIVE COMICS #871-881, this epic from the writer of JUSTICE LEAGUE and BATMAN forces the Dark Knight to confront one of Gotham City’s oldest evils! Plu, the corpse of a killer whale shows up on the floor of one of Gotham City’s foremost banks, setting a deadly mystery in motion!
ON SALE 05.22.19
$99.99 US | 320 PAGES
FC | 8.25” x 12.5”
ISBN: 978-1-4012-8955-3

As for this:

SUPERMAN: ACTION COMICS: THE REBIRTH DELUXE EDITION BOOK THREE HC
written by DAN JURGENS
art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC, RYAN SOOK, BRETT BOOTH, WILL CONRAD and others
cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
Mr. Oz at last steps from the shadows—but the truth of his identity will rock the Last Son of Krypton to his core. And if Superman refuses to join Mr. Oz’s cause, maybe Superboy will! Then, Superman and Booster Gold travel back in time to verify the claims that Kal-El’s father survived the destruction of Krypton. What they find, though, is a vastly different world than history has shown. Collects ACTION COMICS #985-999.
ON SALE 11.28.18
$34.99 US | 352 PAGES
7.0625” x 10.875”
FC | ISBN: 978-1-4012-8043-7

Deploy the Shame Nun! Double-dipping on an OHC you already issued in order to force people to buy it again to get the complete story. Shame on DC, shame!

All those new Sandman Universe books are calling to me. I don’t think I’m going to be able to hold out.

I guess a more detailed explanation is when I’m on Millarworld with my (Android) phone and I accidentally hit Reply to someones post I have to follow through with it, or get to my home computer and hit the “cancel” button (which I cannot find on phone) .

The Reply box was there waiting for me to put something in it since Saturday (every time I would go into the thread) so since I needed to post that I used it.

As it would link to your post, I just wanted to let you know.

All of those books that they shifted to Vertigo can now be shifted right back out again.

Just wasted money on Doomsday Clock. Again.

The most boring “event” I think I have ever read. I do not give a shit about any of the “main characters,” such as they are. Nothing is really happening, and when something does actually happen every third issue or so, it is paced so poorly it has next to no impact at all.

Still no Doc Manhattan. Barely any non-Batman DCU characters. Johns is not nearly as good at writing the Joker as he thinks he is. Just a missed opportunity so far.

I’m liking the book, but I do worry that it’s moving far too slowly. We’re at the halfway point and the story has barely started. I really hope we don’t have a bait & switch here, where this whole series is the clock ticking down, and Doomsday itself will occur in a line wide epic crossover event somewhere else.

From Liam Sharp:

Yup! I’m drawing Hal Jordan, as penned by the legendary Grant Morrison!

I felt the same after three issues so I’m glad I dropped it. I have to think it’s going to pick up steam big time for the last six issues.

Nah, at this point I’m willing to bet that this is all setting up for a proper event, not just a self-contained mini.
As in Doomsday Clock will end, and then they’ll put out something else to finish off the threads.

Is that really what you want? That sounds like the worst possible outcome.

I don’t know if it’s setup for a “real” event as they don’t seem to know when the series will end. That would be like when Marvel tried to relaunch its line after Secret Wars only to have that series delayed drastically.

Where did I say that it’s what I want?
I’m just saying that’s how it’s shaking out to me.

Latest issue once again puts it at the furthest point in the “DC timeline” of stuff they’re planning to release. Including Heroes In Crisis. Whenever it ends it could still set up something.
I honestly don’t think Doomsday Clock is going to end.

Hell - might lead into Johns’ Killing Zone.

Dude! I literally just said that!! Dude!!!

I actually think the plot for Doomsday Clock has moved fairly quickly. They switched dimensions, we know a lot about the characters and mysteries it set up. We just don’t know anything about the stuff they set up in the Rebirth one-shot.

I don’t get the disdain for Doomsday Clock at all, I think it’s been excellent. Look at that art, man.

It’s a deliberate build up but neccesary; what Johns is trying to do is complex it needs to unfold at this pace.
Maybe the time between issues is stifling the momentum for some people.

I think part of the problem is that this is being seen as some sort of sequel to Watchmen, which it’s not. It’s an event, which is introducing the Watchemen characters into the DC universe, picking up the threads from the start of Rebirth (and likely before that), tying together a whole universe and then laying out the big strategy for the next few years of DC.
It’s really ambitious in its scale.

I’ll be really surprised if there is no pay off given the amount of time the Johns and Frank have put into the book.

I agree, Chris. I worry about the pacing, but the book itself has been quality.

I dropped Doomsday Clock fairly early on (2 or 3 issues) because I just wasn’t enjoying it. I honestly felt like it was being played more like a Watchmen sequel and less like a continuance of the themes that had been building in Rebirth. Johns also pitched it as a big Superman story. Has Superman appeared in the book?

I get the feeling that there may be some behind the scenes stuff that has changed the trajectory of this book. It seems like Metal and bringing Bendis on board may have changed their 5 year plan a bit.

I remember seeing an excerpt from one of the early issues that involved Clark having a nightmare of some kind.

It was the last scene of the first issue.
And there was a preview art of Clark at the Daily Planet from some unspecified future issue.

I think @AntiChris has a point, but as its own thing it’s still dragging on quite a bit with what was espoused as its core themes from the get-go.

It’s still more Watchmen sequel than a DCU book but Superman has appeared now and it’s leaning more to that side. If your primary interest was the DCU continuity aspect though then it was better to skip it.

I still think the craft of the comic is really strong though,